New CPU won't work

Hey everybody,

So for Christmas I got myself a new CPU that is compatible with my motherboard.

The old: an intel 2.5 ghz celeron (which I accidentally burntout)
the new: and intel 2.4 ghz core 2 quad

When I successfully put in the new quad core (with thermal paste and everything) I tried to boot up my computer it was working out great, but then it just shut off the entire computer. I talked to a friend of mine who said it sounds like a memeory problem. Is he right? Currently I only have 2 gigs of ram in my computer. Do I need more and how much more?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
4 answers Last reply
More about work
  1. Hfang22 said:
    Hey everybody,

So for Christmas I got myself a new CPU that is compatible with my motherboard.

The old: an intel 2.5 ghz celeron (which I accidentally burntout)
    the new: and intel 2.4 ghz core 2 quad

When I successfully put in the new quad core (with thermal paste and everything) I tried to boot up my computer it was working out great, but then it just shut off the entire computer. I talked to a friend of mine who said it sounds like a memeory problem. Is he right? Currently I only have 2 gigs of ram in my computer. Do I need more and how much more?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Are the sockets the same. For example, an Pentium works in an LGA 1155 socket, but a Core 2 Duo with the LGA 2011 socket will NOT work in the same socket. Check your motherboards manual to see your socket
  2. Ignore what I just said. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your processor.
  3. Yes the sockets are the same they are LGA 775 if it matters and would the ram that came with my motherboard not be compatible with a CPU that is compatible to the motherboard and how would I check?
  4. first make sure u installed your cpu heatsink correctly. it could be an overheating issue ... try reinstalling the heatsink again.. and what is your psu ? its really hard to pinpoint the exact issue.. you have to play the guessing game ...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers