TheSpaceBetween

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
I recently saw and I-5 2500k at MC for 139.99. That's a pretty great deal in my book. http://www.microcenter.com/product/406960/Core_i5_2500K_33GHz_LGA_1155_Processor_-_OEM However it is OME. I understand what OME means, that it wont have a heat sink or manual or anything. I will be purchasing an after market cooler (cooler master hyper 212 evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 ). So with this said, is there any reason to go ahead for 20$ more and buy the full product? Could someone break down ANY possible risk that I take with the OME. Please note that I am a rookie. Thanks all.

Solution
OEM processors do not come with a cooler as you already know. OEM processors also get a much shorter warranty from Intel, only one year for OEM, while retail boxed CPUs get a three year warranty. That said, CPUs rarely fail, and when they do, they are usually either dead on arrival, or were killed by applying too high a voltage, or running it at too high a temperature when overclocking. Therefore, getting the extra warranty may not be all that beneficial.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
OEM friend, OEM, not OME. :p
Anyway, buy it, its totally fine, besides that 140$ deal is in store only - you can't get that price online! Jump on that if you can drive there brother!! Great freaking processor.
I have OEM Logitech S120 speakers, and those work fine with everything, btw. :3

OEM processors do not come with a cooler as you already know. OEM processors also get a much shorter warranty from Intel, only one year for OEM, while retail boxed CPUs get a three year warranty. That said, CPUs rarely fail, and when they do, they are usually either dead on arrival, or were killed by applying too high a voltage, or running it at too high a temperature when overclocking. Therefore, getting the extra warranty may not be all that beneficial.

Solution

TheSpaceBetween

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012

Lol, typo. Yah pretty excited about that processor. I thought I was going to have to pay around 200$ so it was a nice surprise.