New build wont boot, 4 short beeps ASUS P8B-E/4L

kevinsky11

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hi,

I just put together a new system, only problem is it doesn't boot, as soon as i turn the power on if gives me 4 short beeps. It keeps repeating this every 20-30 sec, it stays on though, it doesn't reboot. I'm not sure which bios i have therefore I could be wrong about he meaning of the 4 short beeps. The only explanation of 4 short beeps I can find is, wrong timer. So I tried removing the battery, which did not help.

These are the part I used:
psu: Corsair cx600 v2
motherboard: Asus P8B-E/4L
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
cpu: i3 2120

Could it have something to do with the fact that i connected 4pins instead of the 8 pin eps connector. My psu doesn't have the 8 pin eps connector. Before connecting the 4 pins, it just kep rebooting without any beeps.
I made a thread about this yesterday: connecting mobo to cx600v2

I tried both strips of RAM individually, it keeps giving me the 4 short beeps. If I take them both out it gives me 1 long 2 short, which is normal I think.

These are the only things connected to the board:
24pin
4pin (on the 8pin connection)
power switch connector
cpu
cpu fan
2 strips of RAM

ps. this is my first time building a sytem, could it be a simple beginners mistake?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
You should have a 4+4pin connection according to the psu it stats it has:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX 12V
1 x EPS 12V
2 x PCI-E
6 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy

kevinsky11

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I know, I have tried that one, but it doesn't fit, the shapes are different. This problem is the subject of my other thread I mentioned : link
I see now that the specs indeed say that it should have a eps connection, weird it doesnt have that

check the mb to see if it stamped 1.02 on the pcb. per asus that the rev of the pcb that will support that cpu. there also a *** that says the onboard video controler will nto work with that cpu. you may be getting a beep code failure for no video card. see if someone has a cheap pci video card you can test with. the other error could be as it a server mb are you using ecc ram that on the mb qal list??.

kevinsky11

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Hi, first of all thanks for the help. I'm really just a beginner when it comes to hardware, so i don't really understand all the term you used. For example, what exactly do you mean with 'per asus that the rev of the pcb that will support that cpu'. Also, I tried a dedicated video card, after disabling the vga controller via jumper. This did not work. I also tried diff ram, although it wasn't ecc, it also did not work. Any ideas on how i can confirm the cpu is not compatible?

edit: I found the 'rev' number you were talking about, it is 1.02