Tags:
  • New Build
  • Boot
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2012 11:11:14 AM

Hi,

I just put together a new system, only problem is it doesn't boot, as soon as i turn the power on if gives me 4 short beeps. It keeps repeating this every 20-30 sec, it stays on though, it doesn't reboot. I'm not sure which bios i have therefore I could be wrong about he meaning of the 4 short beeps. The only explanation of 4 short beeps I can find is, wrong timer. So I tried removing the battery, which did not help.

These are the part I used:
psu: Corsair cx600 v2
motherboard: Asus P8B-E/4L
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
cpu: i3 2120

Could it have something to do with the fact that i connected 4pins instead of the 8 pin eps connector. My psu doesn't have the 8 pin eps connector. Before connecting the 4 pins, it just kep rebooting without any beeps.
I made a thread about this yesterday: connecting mobo to cx600v2

I tried both strips of RAM individually, it keeps giving me the 4 short beeps. If I take them both out it gives me 1 long 2 short, which is normal I think.

These are the only things connected to the board:
24pin
4pin (on the 8pin connection)
power switch connector
cpu
cpu fan
2 strips of RAM

ps. this is my first time building a sytem, could it be a simple beginners mistake?

More about : build wont boot short beeps asus p8b

August 10, 2012 1:35:51 PM

You should have a 4+4pin connection according to the psu it stats it has:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX 12V
1 x EPS 12V
2 x PCI-E
6 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy

August 10, 2012 2:32:55 PM

crewton said:
You should have a 4+4pin connection according to the psu it stats it has:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX 12V
1 x EPS 12V
2 x PCI-E
6 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy

I know, I have tried that one, but it doesn't fit, the shapes are different. This problem is the subject of my other thread I mentioned : link
I see now that the specs indeed say that it should have a eps connection, weird it doesnt have that
Related resources
August 10, 2012 3:01:14 PM

check the mb to see if it stamped 1.02 on the pcb. per asus that the rev of the pcb that will support that cpu. there also a *** that says the onboard video controler will nto work with that cpu. you may be getting a beep code failure for no video card. see if someone has a cheap pci video card you can test with. the other error could be as it a server mb are you using ecc ram that on the mb qal list??.
August 11, 2012 1:42:47 PM

smorizio said:
check the mb to see if it stamped 1.02 on the pcb. per asus that the rev of the pcb that will support that cpu. there also a *** that says the onboard video controler will nto work with that cpu. you may be getting a beep code failure for no video card. see if someone has a cheap pci video card you can test with. the other error could be as it a server mb are you using ecc ram that on the mb qal list??.

Hi, first of all thanks for the help. I'm really just a beginner when it comes to hardware, so i don't really understand all the term you used. For example, what exactly do you mean with 'per asus that the rev of the pcb that will support that cpu'. Also, I tried a dedicated video card, after disabling the vga controller via jumper. This did not work. I also tried diff ram, although it wasn't ecc, it also did not work. Any ideas on how i can confirm the cpu is not compatible?

edit: I found the 'rev' number you were talking about, it is 1.02
!