Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My PSU for 9800GT, help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 20, 2012 9:18:29 AM

I am buying a 9800gt and I currently have a psu which is 600w. The brand is Orion, here are the details printed:


Voltage Current frequency

230v 4A

+5 +12v -5v -12v +3.3v +5v sb
28A 20A - 0.8A 28A 2A


Will my pc run?

More about : psu 9800gt

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 10:24:53 AM

hey that looks like a bad bad psu! just 20a on the 12v rail on a 600w psu?
you wont be able to run 9800 gt ever on this!
recheck your stats . its most probably wrong
June 20, 2012 10:28:45 AM

I am confident that what I wrote is right.
Related resources
June 20, 2012 10:51:16 AM

Price is way too high from my budget. Btw, I found a branded PSU with 2 12v rails with 25A and 22A on each rail. Should I buy it?
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 10:56:48 AM

yes now that sounds better.
which brand?and what is your budget
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:08:20 AM

JayrollLim said:
Price is way too high from my budget. Btw, I found a branded PSU with 2 12v rails with 25A and 22A on each rail. Should I buy it?


1) your 600w is actually a 400w PSU and i wouldn't even run at that level for fear of a spark show.

2) luckily the 9800GT will hardly draw much power so you shouldn't even break 225w total system power while gaming with most CPUs. so to answer your former question, yes it will work but your PUS is still mediocre at best.

3) to asnwer your later question, no one can give you recommendation on a PSU without first posting the make and model of the PSU. there are no regulations for PSU market so I can take your Orion 600w PSU, place a sticker on it for a dual split on the 12v rail for 25a each and you would never know what it can or can't until its too late. that is why independent test for PSU are so important.
June 20, 2012 11:09:58 AM

Natural Wind. They say it is true rated. Uhm are you asking for the gpu or psu budget?
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:14:41 AM

JayrollLim said:
Natural Wind. They say it is true rated. Uhm are you asking for the gpu or psu budget?


...and i just met a girl online who says she is a supermodel....

stick to brands like enermax, ocz, seasonic, antec, corsair, silverstone, nzxt, xfx, & pc power and cooling

in fact newegg is having a sale on the corsair 430w. a PSU that has been tested to deliver 430w continuous power at 50c, something neither your natural wind or Orion can do regardless of what sticker states.

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:15:33 AM

gpu budget
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:18:32 AM

ct1615 said:
1) your 600w is actually a 400w PSU and i wouldn't even run at that level for fear of a spark show.

2) luckily the 9800GT will hardly draw much power so you shouldn't even break 225w total system power while gaming with most CPUs. so to answer your former question, yes it will work but your PUS is still mediocre at best.

3) to asnwer your later question, no one can give you recommendation on a PSU without first posting the make and model of the PSU. there are no regulations for PSU market so I can take your Orion 600w PSU, place a sticker on it for a dual split on the 12v rail for 25a each and you would never know what it can or can't until its too late. that is why independent test for PSU are so important.

sir, as far as i know the 9800 gt has two 6pin connectors ,so practically it draws 225 w which is not suitable even for a 600w psu with such low amperage on the 12v rail
he'll need at least a good 500w psu with 30 amps or more on the 12 volt rail to run a 9800gt
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:28:18 AM

panwala95 said:
sir, as far as i know the 9800 gt has two 6pin connectors ,so practically it draws 225 w which is not suitable even for a 600w psu with such low amperage on the 12v rail
he'll need at least a good 500w psu with 30 amps or more on the 12 volt rail to run a 9800gt


you need a better understanding of that card

the 9800GT uses one six pin connector. i know, i owned one (among numerous other cards) back in the day and ran it off a 400w PSU.

even with 2 pci-e power connectors, most cards do not not need anywhere near 225w. my gtx 560ti hardly breaks 150w gaming.

in fact in a test PC under a stress test (uses more power then gaming) the following unit only did 225-250w in total system power using various 9800GT
System Used

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz
Memory: G.Skill 2x 2GB DDR2-1000 @ 1052Mhz DDR
Motherboard: DFI LanParty DK X38 T2R
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 320GB SATAII
Fans: 2X Yate Loon 120mm @ 1200RPM


here is another chart for a better understanding of where the 9800GT sits. see how the system does not even break 200w gaming

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:32:37 AM

sir if youll notice in my "more information" column ,im just a kid and your the "expert"
and probably not a kid .so its obvious youll know better than me and yes you are right the max power consumption of a 9800gt is just 105w
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:38:17 AM

panwala95 said:
sir if youll notice in my "more information" column ,im just a kid.
and thanks for teaching me


no problem, your willingness to learn puts you ahead of many posters in the graphics forum regardless of your age

for your information

here is another chart for more modern cards, see how only the top tier cards break 225w (this chart is power for the card only). while card power during use is overblown by many forum posters, it's never a reason to go with a mediocre power supply. pass the information on to other people looking for answers


June 20, 2012 11:39:33 AM

ct1615 said:
1) your 600w is actually a 400w PSU and i wouldn't even run at that level for fear of a spark show.

2) luckily the 9800GT will hardly draw much power so you shouldn't even break 225w total system power while gaming with most CPUs. so to answer your former question, yes it will work but your PUS is still mediocre at best.

3) to asnwer your later question, no one can give you recommendation on a PSU without first posting the make and model of the PSU. there are no regulations for PSU market so I can take your Orion 600w PSU, place a sticker on it for a dual split on the 12v rail for 25a each and you would never know what it can or can't until its too late. that is why independent test for PSU are so important.



Unfortunately, we can't know if the rated power is even true, so the PSU may still fail even with the 9800gt. And when I say fail I mean that it might blow up and kill some of the OP precious hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:46:05 AM

ct1615 said:
no problem, your willingness to learn puts you ahead of many posters in the graphics forum regardless of your age

for your information

here is another chart for more modern cards, see how only the top tier cards break 225w (this chart is power for the card only). while card power during use is overblown by many forum posters, it's never a reason to go with a mediocre power supply. pass the information on to other people looking for answers
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_680_Lightning/images/power_peak.gif

thank you sir! appreciated
!