GTX 460 with Molex to Pci-e converter, Will it work?

D1B

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi guys (and girls) :hello:

I am currently in a bit of a predicament. I am Using my spare pc, however with it i need to use my nvidia GTX 460 (cyclone , MSi ed).

The issue is that the PSU in this pc, This thermaltake one : http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001774 , only has 1 6pin pci connector and my GTX 460 needs two. I do however have spare Molex Connectors which i am not using, so i was wondering if a molex to pci-e connector would be sufficient as i dont want to have to buy another psu for this spare pc and i dont want to fry my gfx card.

Other specs of my PC:
Intell Q6600 Quad core CPU
4 GB DDR2 Ram
G31-M7 TE motherboard

I would really appreciate some advice on this, thanks.

D1B

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Ok, my gfx card is the more important part, seeing as I use it in my main pc too. How long exactly would you consider a "short period of time"?

Also might it be better to get a 2 molex to 1 pci-e convertor (if those exist, which I think they do)?

G

D1B

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Well i tried it for a bit with a dual molex to 6pin, and it worked, but aftera few hours my electricity mysteriously tripped, not sure if it was the pc but i figured I'd rather not take the risk. Atleast everything is working now without the GPU attached. Any other possible solutions other than getting a new PSU or (my older 8800 gfx card)?

G

did your PSU trip or the power going to the PSU?

either way, the PSU is telling you it is not handling the load very well.

G

you're friends with willard? :heink:

as apprehensive as i am to mention it because a similar post i replied to degenerated into a less than stellar high school debate; it truly would be a set of extraordinary circumstances for a failed PSU to cause someone to be homeless. what is much more likely is the PSU, struggling to supply the output needed for the OP's components, fails and takes out the whole rig.

however what is an complete agreement is the OP needs to spend a few dollars for a better PSU before it costs them a lot more.

looniam, I saw with my own eyes a PSU catching fire. It almost ignited my curtain, it would have if I wasn't fast enough moving the PC away from it. Given my experience, I don't think it's a very rare thing. It was an old Codegen psu. I was lucky I was watching at the pc at that moment. I doubt such luck can repeat itself. I will not ever take that risk again in my life. Maybe you would, that's your choice.

G

don't read into what i am saying.
i said it is highly unlikely to occur and pointed out a consequence that is more likely to occur. i never said it can't happen or personally that i myself would take the chance.

it does not benefit anyone to be an alarmist but a realist when giving advice.

that is ALL.

G

my mistake, i edited that out then.

D1B

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I too have had a PSU catch fire, although it didn't take anything else with it as it wasn't a serious fire.

The whole point of this question was that this is my spare pc which I only plan to use for two weeks, so I didn't want to have to buy more expensive parts when the parts in my main pc are more than ok.

G

i believe since that cyclone is overclocked use after burner to lower it, won't do much but it may lower the consumption enough to lessen the stress.

and go look at those breakers in your sub panel.