Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 460 with Molex to Pci-e converter, Will it work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 20, 2012 9:22:33 AM

Hi guys (and girls) :hello: 

I am currently in a bit of a predicament. I am Using my spare pc, however with it i need to use my nvidia GTX 460 (cyclone , MSi ed).

The issue is that the PSU in this pc, This thermaltake one : http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_000... , only has 1 6pin pci connector and my GTX 460 needs two. I do however have spare Molex Connectors which i am not using, so i was wondering if a molex to pci-e connector would be sufficient as i dont want to have to buy another psu for this spare pc and i dont want to fry my gfx card.

Other specs of my PC:
Intell Q6600 Quad core CPU
4 GB DDR2 Ram
G31-M7 TE motherboard

I would really appreciate some advice on this, thanks.
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 11:17:24 AM

you may not fry your card but you will probably kill that PSU after a short period of time. it's a mediocre PSU at best.
m
0
l
June 20, 2012 11:25:08 AM

Ok, my gfx card is the more important part, seeing as I use it in my main pc too. How long exactly would you consider a "short period of time"?

Also might it be better to get a 2 molex to 1 pci-e convertor (if those exist, which I think they do)?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 11:46:45 AM

it's not the molex converter, it's the PSU in general.

23a on the 12v rail is what you find in a modern 300-350w PSU. the thermaltake litepower line uses an old design with cheap parts, hence my short time comment since you will be stressing a PSU not designed for modern video cards & PCs that uses inferior parts. not a good recipe.

the length of that time is a roll of the dice. maybe a day, week, month, etc.,
m
0
l
June 20, 2012 1:33:15 PM

hmm, k thanks for your advice. Hopefully it survives for the period I need it to :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 2:04:00 PM

D1B said:
hmm, k thanks for your advice. Hopefully it survives for the period I need it to :) 

DUDE!

that is a mislabeled PSU.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification...
Output Capacity 400W <-------- THAT!
Peak Output Capacity 500W

considering the graphics card will use 170 watts and that Q6600 is 105 watts; you are pushing it to fail at anytime w/o warning . . .just saying.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 5:06:31 PM

Anonymous said:

considering the graphics card will use 170 watts and that Q6600 is 105 watts; you are pushing it to fail at anytime w/o warning . . .just saying.


while i agree with the later of your statement, i disagree with the former of it. while gaming the GTX 460 will not use 170w, more like 120w




m
0
l
June 21, 2012 7:44:11 AM

Well i tried it for a bit with a dual molex to 6pin, and it worked, but aftera few hours my electricity mysteriously tripped, not sure if it was the pc but i figured I'd rather not take the risk. Atleast everything is working now without the GPU attached. Any other possible solutions other than getting a new PSU or (my older 8800 gfx card)?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 21, 2012 4:46:05 PM

D1B said:
Well i tried it for a bit with a dual molex to 6pin, and it worked, but aftera few hours my electricity mysteriously tripped, not sure if it was the pc but i figured I'd rather not take the risk. Atleast everything is working now without the GPU attached. Any other possible solutions other than getting a new PSU or (my older 8800 gfx card)?

did your PSU trip or the power going to the PSU?

either way, the PSU is telling you it is not handling the load very well.

m
0
l
June 22, 2012 7:22:50 AM

The whole houses power tripped, so the power going to the PSU as you put it (i think).
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 1:50:37 PM

It could run but you will have to downgrade other system parts but what everyone is telling you is that it isn't worth it. That psu is also a fire hazard and could easily burn down your house if it were to short and not blow a fuse early on.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 2:08:25 PM

nforce4max said:
It could run but you will have to downgrade other system parts but what everyone is telling you is that it isn't worth it. That psu is also a fire hazard and could easily burn down your house if it were to short and not blow a fuse early on.

you're friends with willard? :heink: 

as apprehensive as i am to mention it because a similar post i replied to degenerated into a less than stellar high school debate; it truly would be a set of extraordinary circumstances for a failed PSU to cause someone to be homeless. what is much more likely is the PSU, struggling to supply the output needed for the OP's components, fails and takes out the whole rig.

however what is an complete agreement is the OP needs to spend a few dollars for a better PSU before it costs them a lot more.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 2:26:09 PM

looniam, I saw with my own eyes a PSU catching fire. It almost ignited my curtain, it would have if I wasn't fast enough moving the PC away from it. Given my experience, I don't think it's a very rare thing. It was an old Codegen psu. I was lucky I was watching at the pc at that moment. I doubt such luck can repeat itself. I will not ever take that risk again in my life. Maybe you would, that's your choice.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 2:37:30 PM

Sunius said:
looniam, I saw with my own eyes a PSU catching fire. It almost ignited my curtain, it would have if I wasn't fast enough moving the PC away from it. Given my experience, I don't think it's a very rare thing. It was an old Codegen psu. I was lucky I was watching at the pc at that moment. I doubt such luck can repeat itself. I will not ever take that risk again in my life. Maybe you would, that's your choice.

don't read into what i am saying.
i said it is highly unlikely to occur and pointed out a consequence that is more likely to occur. i never said it can't happen or personally that i myself would take the chance.

it does not benefit anyone to be an alarmist but a realist when giving advice.

that is ALL.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 2:42:25 PM

I was referring to the fact that I was looking at the PC when it caught fire. Next time I could be away from it.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 3:01:56 PM

Sunius said:
I was referring to the fact that I was looking at the PC when it caught fire. Next time I could be away from it.

my mistake, i edited that out then.
m
0
l
June 22, 2012 3:16:25 PM

I too have had a PSU catch fire, although it didn't take anything else with it as it wasn't a serious fire.

Anonymous said:

however what is an complete agreement is the OP needs to spend a few dollars for a better PSU before it costs them a lot more.


The whole point of this question was that this is my spare pc which I only plan to use for two weeks, so I didn't want to have to buy more expensive parts when the parts in my main pc are more than ok.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 22, 2012 3:33:01 PM

D1B said:
I too have had a PSU catch fire, although it didn't take anything else with it as it wasn't a serious fire.
The whole point of this question was that this is my spare pc which I only plan to use for two weeks, so I didn't want to have to buy more expensive parts when the parts in my main pc are more than ok.

i believe since that cyclone is overclocked use after burner to lower it, won't do much but it may lower the consumption enough to lessen the stress.

and go look at those breakers in your sub panel.
m
0
l
June 22, 2012 5:29:45 PM

I like the afterburner idea, but just to make life easier I'm gonna go back to using my 8800 GTS when i get it back this next week :p 
m
0
l
!