Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo and CPU, best way to go about it?

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2012 12:02:55 PM

Hello, I've been using this website a lot and I have a question about what I need to do as far as Windows 7 goes when I get my new Mobo and CPU. I couldn't find a specific answer on this so I figured I'd sign up and ask here. I'm thinking what I will do is just save my most important stuff to a flash drive and completely wipe my hard drive clean, and then install Windows 7 again when I boot the computer with the new hardware. Is this the best way to go about it? Do I even need to re-install Windows at all? I'm just confused about what needs to be done here as I've never re-installed or uninstalled an OS before.

Just in case it's important this is what I'm upgrading from..

AsRock H61M/U3S3 --> AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
Intel I5 2300 --> Intel I5 3570K

Thanks guys

More about : mobo cpu

August 10, 2012 12:08:21 PM

None of the operating system is on the CPU or Mobo. Windows 7 is on your hard drive. You wouldn't ever need to format your computer unless you want to when replacing those components.
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:10:16 PM

Ok, so basically when I boot it again with the new hardware it will start up like nothing happened?
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:29:42 PM

Yup it will start up as long as you plugged everything in just like you had it on the old motherboard. Windows will then recognize your new hardware and install default drivers. You may want to download the latest drivers from the company website and install them just to make sure you are up to date. Once windows boots up get the latest BIOS for your new board.

Nice board I have a z68 extreme 3 gen 3 and I like their features. It lets your usb ports have power even when pc is off.
m
l
!