High-End PC last 20 years?

raxor30

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
If you purchased a computer RIGHT NOW with all the most high end parts available, 20 years fom now do you think those parts would be the minumum requirements? This is part of a massive discussion between 2 computer nerds. I insist I'm right that it would last 20 years. He says no. Who's right?

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
First of all the parts shouldn't even physically last that long. Second, technology 20 years ago from today is completely useless. The speed of tech improvements hasn't slowed much.

That's a big no, it would be way way way outdated, and most likely non-functional anyway.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
What software would you be running in 20 years?
Would you want to use a computer from 1992 (with Windows 3.1?) today?

A computer is a tool, so if 20 years from now you want to do a simple task like word processing or run a classic console emulator (PS3 & xbox360), then yes that should be possible if the parts last that long.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your friend is correct. 20 years ago, I was rocking an AST 486DX2-50; as in it was running a 50Mhz processor. I had installed the maximum 8 MEG of RAM. Even if it were functional today, there is nothing I could run on that system except what was available back then.

There is no way a 20 year old system would meed the minimum requirements for anything available at that time.

-Wolf sends