• No, I already owned Nvidia
  • 0 %
  • Yes, The new kepler series did it
  • 0 %
  • No, I am happy with my Radeon
  • 0 %
  • Yes, I believe AMD lost this generation
  • 0 %
  • No, This generation has just begun and I can't decide yet.
  • 0 %
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 5:11:22 PM

I have never had a problem with ATi/AMD and have used their cards since the 4k series. The 7k series is beastly and I have massive 3D Mark scores (beyond that of a GTX 690). Is everyone simply jumping ship for the "faster" card? I know I need as much bandwidth and direct compute as possible, but can there really be a victorious party right now when both are about equally matched?

More about : nvidia

June 20, 2012 5:32:14 PM

i always had nvidia cards because i trust their drivers more than ATI's. also from experience almost everyone i run into prefers nvidia cards over ATI. i also see that on the computer shop websites i see most are selling more nvidia cards then ATI/AMD and this was before the 6xxx cards were released
June 20, 2012 5:56:47 PM

i agree with christian aka cpt. charisma

Nvidia seems to have better drivers and in my experience plays better with linux
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 6:00:07 PM

BTW, something others haven't mentioned, your poll is closed, we can't vote on it.
June 20, 2012 6:04:44 PM

AMD/ATI has buggy drivers and always have.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 6:10:55 PM

I like both and have used both Nvidia and ATI AMD and i jump ship with whatever is best bang for my buck at the time i am looking to upgrade my card rather it be Nvidia or ATI AMD makes no difference
June 20, 2012 6:21:54 PM

captaincharisma, you're not entirely correct.

Nvidia does have their TWIMTBP titles ("The way it's meant to be played") which they sponsor and heavily advertise, so they enjoy better performance than AMD, but it's mostly in the early stages since they get an early access to the game and can optimize their drivers. In some very rare occasions, the title runs WAY better on Nvidia cards but that mostly belongs to the 4xxx era and below.

AMD also has their own sponsored titles, but they don't advertise them as much as Nvidia. This, together with AMD's support for open-standards vs. Nvidia's proprietary tools make me trust AMD more than Nvidia as a company.

I own a 4870 (over 3 years now), which at the time performed better than GTX 260 and cost less. In terms of pure performance per dollar it was the best card to get back then. Used to have an aging Geforce TI 200 which served me well for 5 years, and never had any driver issues with any of them.

IMO right now the best modern cards to get that offer the best perf / dollar AND perf / watt are the HD 7750, 7770, 7850, 7870 and GTX 670, 680 at the high end. And that's my problem with Nvidia:
For the past 4 years, Nvidia's greatest focus was to be the king of the hill in terms of performance (and in this generation also in terms of price and efficiency), but I like AMD's strategy more which is to plan a highly modular design that appeals to the high-end AND to the mid-range and below, especially in terms of performance / dollar.

I'm not saying that Nvidia has bad cards at the mid-range (the gtx 460 and 560 TI are excellent cards), but you can look at Tomshardware's own "Best graphics card for the money" and most of the time you'll see mainly AMD cards at the low-end and mid-range.

If we ignore the supply / yield issues, a look at Nvidia's newest "low-mid range" gpu, the GT 640, makes me believe that they plan to continue to mostly give up on offering designs that are competitive in terms of performance / $ and mostly rely on their reputation as "the top dog" and "the best in terms of drivers" (which is simply not true for a while now), to get people to trust them and buy their hardware.

GT 640 review - http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac-geforce-gt-640...
(priced the same as the HD 7750-800)
June 20, 2012 6:24:24 PM

Nvidia doesn't have better drivers.. And they're better in what exactly? That's my point. By focusing on being at the top most of the time they're getting mind-share so people say stuff like this. But if my budget is "only" 200$ for a gpu?

A look at one of Nvidia's drivers, the title says it all - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675...
June 20, 2012 6:25:03 PM

People saying that there are AMD driver issues are not running AMD cards and are just spewing biased filth. I have been running Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards in multiple systems since 2002 when 3DFX went under. I have never had AMD/ATI driver issues that weren't solved by doing a rollback to a previous driver and wait for the next release for a fix. The rollback issue is true for Nvidia as well, but I have experienced many blue-screens with Nvidia products (driver related) that have never occurred with AMD/ATI.

And Linus Torvalds middle-fingered Nvidia due to their piss-poor support on Linux (I agree as most laptops I have Linux and Nvidia graphics I have to use the default driver and not Nvidia versions where I have no problems with AMD/ATI proprietary drivers since Ubuntu 10.4), so no clue where mobrocket gets his information from. From personal experience I would stay away from Nvidia products for Linux machines (motherboard and GPU chipsets).

Today, I would buy what's best for the buck as driver issues for both manufacturers are pretty solid on Windows machines (do not get Nvidia if running any flavor of Linux) and I haven't had any problems with either on Windows machines running anything from Notepad and spreadsheets all the way to AutoCAD and Photoshop and any game.
June 20, 2012 6:29:41 PM

Are you kidding me?
nvidia drivers are far from perfect, there current drivers are so buggy that you are losing performance out of your card!
im not kidding, there new beta drivers actually fix a few bugs that will increase the performance of the card by about 10-15%!

AMD/nvidia doesnt matter just pick what has best performance for price, currently i believe the 670 is the best card out there for its price.
June 20, 2012 6:30:46 PM

Quote:
Well i just want to say one thing Nvidia is better/not value for money but AMD is cheap/performence

Based on what evidence? Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards are pretty equal on performance and it's pretty easy to find out if AMD is cheaper in price, but where are you evaluating the "better" statement from?
June 20, 2012 6:35:50 PM

PrimalGecko said:
Based on what evidence? Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards are pretty equal on performance and it's pretty easy to find out if AMD is cheaper in price, but where are you evaluating the "better" statement from?

He's getting that from Jen-Hsun Huang's distortion field. The guy knows his s**t when it comes to advertisement.

I believe it was Anand that said to the mobile gpu designers that they should beware of Nvidia's marketing even if their solution is worse, and he was correct.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 6:35:57 PM

What if I have cards from both Nvidia and ATi and I am happy with all of them?
June 20, 2012 6:54:32 PM

and the fanboi flood begins.

hey i just said i have better luck with NVIDIA drivers as opposed to ATI drivers. where in my last response did i say ATI drivers suck and NVIDIA drivers are perfect? get over yourselves
June 20, 2012 7:01:24 PM

captaincharisma said:
and the fanboi flood begins.

hey i just said i have better luck with NVIDIA drivers as opposed to ATI drivers. where in my last response did i say ATI drivers suck and NVIDIA drivers are perfect? get over yourselves

:) 

And I just said that your experience does not reflect my experience and the tech sites that I enjoy reading. Yet you somehow managed to take it as a personal insult and label all who oppose as "fanboys". Way to start a flame-war.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 7:36:40 PM

Owning an AMD 7970 right now, and kinda wishing I got a 680 instead... but taking into account that I"ve spent a fair amount of my time destroying my friends still on 580 systems back in Feb and March, AMD has served me well.

Both companies have had their hiccups, and I think the issue with this series is a matter of timing. AMD released their 7970 early and basically laid their cards on the table. this allowed Nvidia to probably re-brand and restructure their GK104 to perfectly edge out the 7970, saving the GK110 for later. but if that is the case, we've had enough rumors float around about the GK110 chip to have some guesses as to what it might be like. so who knows? AMD may take advantage of this and retake the crown with their 8*** series. at the end of the day, both companies trade blows. I've experienced issues with both in the past, so I honestly don't have a preference...
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 7:41:05 PM

PrimalGecko said:
People saying that there are AMD driver issues are not running AMD cards and are just spewing biased filth. I have been running Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards in multiple systems since 2002 when 3DFX went under. I have never had AMD/ATI driver issues that weren't solved by doing a rollback to a previous driver and wait for the next release for a fix. The rollback issue is true for Nvidia as well, but I have experienced many blue-screens with Nvidia products (driver related) that have never occurred with AMD/ATI.

And Linus Torvalds middle-fingered Nvidia due to their piss-poor support on Linux (I agree as most laptops I have Linux and Nvidia graphics I have to use the default driver and not Nvidia versions where I have no problems with AMD/ATI proprietary drivers since Ubuntu 10.4), so no clue where mobrocket gets his information from. From personal experience I would stay away from Nvidia products for Linux machines (motherboard and GPU chipsets).

Today, I would buy what's best for the buck as driver issues for both manufacturers are pretty solid on Windows machines (do not get Nvidia if running any flavor of Linux) and I haven't had any problems with either on Windows machines running anything from Notepad and spreadsheets all the way to AutoCAD and Photoshop and any game.

Have you seen the response from team green?
http://www.techpowerup.com/167968/NVIDIA-Responds-to-Qu...
a c 115 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 8:03:28 PM

vmem said:
Owning an AMD 7970 right now, and kinda wishing I got a 680 instead... but taking into account that I"ve spent a fair amount of my time destroying my friends still on 580 systems back in Feb and March, AMD has served me well.

Both companies have had their hiccups, and I think the issue with this series is a matter of timing. AMD released their 7970 early and basically laid their cards on the table. this allowed Nvidia to probably re-brand and restructure their GK104 to perfectly edge out the 7970, saving the GK110 for later. but if that is the case, we've had enough rumors float around about the GK110 chip to have some guesses as to what it might be like. so who knows? AMD may take advantage of this and retake the crown with their 8*** series. at the end of the day, both companies trade blows. I've experienced issues with both in the past, so I honestly don't have a preference...

ATI and NVidia have traded blows and one-upped eachother every generation since the early 1990s. Anyone who says "Nvidia has always had the best cards" must have been asleep when the Radeon 9700 completely obliterated the entire GeForce 4 series that had only been released a few months earlier, or when the subsequent GeForce 5 series was a complete and utter disappointment.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 20, 2012 8:10:07 PM

I've used both. AMD definitely owns the low-end. Up into the mid range, however, each has had features I may have wanted. I play Sacred 2, which uses PhysX, so I needed nVidia to enjoy that. I briefly experimented with bitcoin mining, which is basically an AMD-only proposition. NVidia has CUDA, but doesn't handle older OpenGL titles as well as AMD. Right now, I happen to be running all-AMD; last year I think I was all-nVidia; obviously in between I was mixed. I suspect I will continue to use both, and am very interested to see what the mid-range Keplers will offer.
June 20, 2012 8:48:41 PM

i wouldn't classify myself as an nvidia fanboy, but i've always been partial to nvidia for one major reason: ATI often gives me problems, from DOA cards to the attrocity they call their drivers.
but make no mistake, i'm not anti-ATI. in fact only one of my computers is nvidia, the other 3 are ATI.

right now with GTX 670/680/690 there's little reason to not go nvidia for a high-end card, but at the low/mid range i could swing either way.
!