Solved

1200-1400 USD - lower price / maintain performance

Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and December depending on my negations with Wife.
Budget Range: 1200 - 1400 max after taxes / shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming / Photo editing
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / Amazon
Location: Sacramento CA – microcenter not close enough
Parts Preferences: Intel /
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Dell u2410 1920 x 1200 plus a 2nd monitor 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: Looking to keep current build's performance and lower the overall price if possible. My goal is 1200 after taxes / shipping if possible - hoping you guys have some alternate hardware ideas that will get me there... maybe I sacrafice the SSD? I've never used it but have heard it's glorious.

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
Storage - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
Storage - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
Fan - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
GPU - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787
PSU -CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
Memory - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519
CD - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067
OS - Windows 7 64 OEM

Total is 1376 + 115 tax / shipping.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1200 1400 lower price maintain performance
  1. yorikatl said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and December depending on my negations with Wife.
    Budget Range: 1200 - 1400 max after taxes / shipping
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming / Photo editing
    Are you buying a monitor: No
    Do you need to buy OS: Yes
    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / Amazon
    Location: Sacramento CA – microcenter not close enough
    Parts Preferences: Intel /
    Overclocking: Yes
    SLI or Crossfire: No
    Your Monitor Resolution: Dell u2410 1920 x 1200 plus a 2nd monitor 1680 x 1050

    Additional Comments: Looking to keep current build's performance and lower the overall price if possible. My goal is 1200 after taxes / shipping if possible - hoping you guys have some alternate hardware ideas that will get me there... maybe I sacrafice the SSD? I've never used it but have heard it's glorious.

    Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
    Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    Storage - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
    Storage - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
    CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
    Fan - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    GPU - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787
    PSU -CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
    Memory - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519
    CD - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067
    OS - Windows 7 64 OEM

    Total is 1376 + 115 tax / shipping.


    My build is almost identical to that and my total was $999.37.

    I do not have the traditional HDD with storage space in my PC. That's one expense I cut out that I'm sure you won't want to.

    I opted for the Cooler Master HAF 912 case and paid $50 for it.

    I would say you've got overkill on the power supply. You said SLI is not in the plans so you should have no problems with 550W, but in order to be safe I went with a 620W SeaSonic that was on sale for $74. You can get the TX650 for $80 after a $10 rebate right now.

    The RAM is also overkill. You said you're going to overclock so perhaps you'll be able to get the performance out of it, but I'd go with a really nice set of DDR3-1600 RAM for ~$50.

    I don't know which of the GTX 670 cards are the best, but it is definitely a good card for the price right now.

    Link to my build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358199-31-finals-parts-list-cost
  2. Thanks - so I can cut on the case, ram and PSU down, probably get about 100 bucks out of that total. Anything else w/o comprimising the cpu/gpu and ssd? If not, i'm probably most willing to drop the SSD so that might be the next step.
  3. I saved $90 on that mobo/cpu combo at Microcenter. Know anyone close who would buy it and ship it for you?
  4. If sli is not in your plans you can get a 600/650W Power supply you can get a cheaper case and you can drop the SSD drop the HD to a 500GB your ram is fine and cost less then 50 i don't recommend downgrading it the 670 you have is not worth changing because EVGA customer service is top notch in the event you run into any trouble with the card they will take care of you allot of other respected company's will give you the run around you could however hold off on getting a video card and buy the 660 TI when it's released in a week or two other then that you can not save without losing performance
  5. ncasolo said:
    I saved $90 on that mobo/cpu combo at Microcenter. Know anyone close who would buy it and ship it for you?
    +1
  6. Never mind just read Location: Sacramento CA – microcenter not close enough
  7. Best answer
  8. bigcyco1 said:
    If sli is not in your plans you can get a 600/650W Power supply you can get a cheaper case and you can drop the SSD drop the HD to a 500GB your ram is fine and cost less then 50 i don't recommend downgrading it the 670 you have is not worth changing because EVGA customer service is top notch in the event you run into any trouble with the card they will take care of you allot of other respected company's will give you the run around you could however hold off on getting a video card and buy the 660 TI when it's released in a week or two other then that you can not save without losing performance


    I don't think dropping the SSD is really a good idea. While they are expensive, it's good to have an SSD for a boot drive. Maybe downgrade it to 60 GB version if you don't need it for anythian else than OS. Also, 1 TB of storage fills up real quick if you do even a bit of downloading movies, series, etc. I bought a 2 Tb drive in March for my new build and I just ordered a 3 Tb one to accompany it because the first one's almost full. I'd stick with the 1 Tb, for sure.
  9. mon4ro said:
    I don't think dropping the SSD is really a good idea. While they are expensive, it's good to have an SSD for a boot drive. Maybe downgrade it to 60 GB version if you don't need it for anythian else than OS. Also, 1 TB of storage fills up real quick if you do even a bit of downloading movies, series, etc. I bought a 2 Tb drive in March for my new build and I just ordered a 3 Tb one to accompany it because the first one's almost full. I'd stick with the 1 Tb, for sure.
    Yeah a 64GB SSD would be good for just OS as far as hard drive i guess that would depend on how much you intend to download on your hard drive as i have got by just fine with 500gb in the past but it's really up to you i was just making it cheap as possible since the first build i did was to much for you this is the best you can do for what you can afford IMO :)
  10. Quote:
    COMBO DEALS:

    cpu+hsf:
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
    CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1024225
    $276.98 + $15.00 Mail In Rebates = $261.98

    mbd+ram:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI
    Patriot Intel Extreme Master, LE 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1044353
    $199.98

    psu+cse:
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1020976
    $143.98
    these are good combos but i would pass on the case and psu one because that psu is low end and they tend to be a hit and miss a gamble not worth taking the risk ;)
  11. Quote:
    cool, good advice.
    I'm more or less just throwing the idea of combo deals out there.
    :sol:
  12. Quote:
    look at that motherboard deal though....
    kinda nice..


    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 + Intel i5 3570K $280 @ Mircocenter. Savings of $90 over newegg.
  13. ncasolo said:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 + Intel i5 3570K $280 @ Mircocenter. Savings of $90 over newegg.
    Be better if you read the OP post Location: Sacramento CA – microcenter not close enough ;)
  14. Quote:
    ;)


    If you look I asked if he can find someone close enough to Microcenter to ship him the parts :)
  15. make sure to pick a best answer to close this thread. When your satisfied.
  16. Best answer selected by yorikatl.
  17. Thanks all - just found out early Oct will be my purchase dates so maybe there will be some sales between now and then. Will keep an eye out. Can't select as best at work but will when I get home.
  18. no problem bud and thanks the mods will close this now when then can and it makes it easier for them to keep the forum less cluttered i think lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product