Solved

System suddenly stopped posting

I seem to have had a nasty problem occur with my desktop. I built it about a month ago and has run flawlessly the entire time. Today, I moved it to another room and swapped out the 6770 i had in there for my old 4650 to try it out. The computer flashed the splash screen and then went black. After that, it wouldnt post again. Then, I popped my 6770 back in thinking my old GPU must be fried, and tried it again. The televisions screensaver, a floating Hisense, stopped moving and froze in place. No post. I tried swapping out the ram, nothing changed. Tried unplugging and replugging the GPU, making sure the cables were in properly,nothing. Fans all light up and spin. I don't have an onboard speaker, so I do not receive bios beeps. Specs are in my signature. What could be causing the problem?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system suddenly stopped posting
  1. Best answer
    thedeathclox said:
    I seem to have had a nasty problem occur with my desktop. I built it about a month ago and has run flawlessly the entire time. Today, I moved it to another room and swapped out the 6770 i had in there for my old 4650 to try it out. The computer flashed the splash screen and then went black. After that, it wouldnt post again. Then, I popped my 6770 back in thinking my old GPU must be fried, and tried it again. The televisions screensaver, a floating Hisense, stopped moving and froze in place. No post. I tried swapping out the ram, nothing changed. Tried unplugging and replugging the GPU, making sure the cables were in properly,nothing. Fans all light up and spin. I don't have an onboard speaker, so I do not receive bios beeps. Specs are in my signature. What could be causing the problem?


    Is the hard drive spinning, fans spinning and the Power LED on ? And just to be sure, the PCI-E power cable is plugged into the 6770, right ?
  2. yes, everything seems to be okay. Its as if the computer freezes right before it gets the chance to post. I tried swapping the CPU from a C2D to a Pentium D 945 3.40GHz, and it does the same thing. CPU isnt the culprit. I also tried popping out the cmos battery and unplugging the system to reset bios. Nothing changed.
  3. it sounds like mobo failure also test your psu with this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

    and also(sorry this will probably not help your but its somthing)
    clear your cmos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

    hope this helped! :D
  4. thedeathclox said:
    yes, everything seems to be okay. Its as if the computer freezes right before it gets the chance to post. I tried swapping the CPU from a C2D to a Pentium D 945 3.40GHz, and it does the same thing. CPU isnt the culprit. I also tried popping out the cmos battery and unplugging the system to reset bios. Nothing changed.


    So the system stays on (when it freezes) ? Or does it spontaneously shut off ? If it spontaneously shuts off, I'd guess the PSU.
  5. Maxx_Power said:
    So the system stays on (when it freezes) ? Or does it spontaneously shut off ? If it spontaneously shuts off, I'd guess the PSU.


    Nah everything stays on just fine. PSU, even though its a "horrible" psu, has been wonderful thus far. Tried on 4 systems, totally different hardware and it always runs quiet and cool and provides the full 600 watt it guarantee's. PSU is alive and well, i think maybe i should buy a new bios chip?
  6. it could either be cpu failure or mobo failure... what is the average temp of your cpu? also have you tried your gpu in your other computers just to rule that out also try your ram in them as well
  7. I just figured out what was wrong... I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED IT. But first, to answer your question, panic, the average CPU temp under full load at 3.40GHz instead of 2.66GHz default, is somewhere around 34 celcius. The AS5 hasn't quite settled in yet, but thats pretty damn chilly for an OC and on air. Idle, its 27-28C with an overclock. I don't know the temps when at stock, because as soon as i started her up for the first time i overclocked as hard as i could while retaining system stability. GPU is in wonderful condition, and is working. I have yet to try my 4650 again.

    ANYWAYS, something happened to my little television that i use as a monitor. I popped the 4650 in and fired up the desktop and the bios splash came up very briefly and then i was unable to get a picture from HDMI. What I realised hours later was that the television was acting sluggish, menu's were very laggy, switching display outputs was terribly delayed, and it took around 20-3 seconds to turn OFF. After unplugging and re-plugging the TV, everything was okay. =.=; I don't have an onboard speaker so my bios doesn't beep. It was posting the entire time silently while the TELEVISION was being a dick. Thanks for your help, guys! Hahahah, Im glad i didn't spend money for repairs pointlessly!
  8. Best answer selected by thedeathclox.
  9. thedeathclox said:
    I just figured out what was wrong... I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED IT. But first, to answer your question, panic, the average CPU temp under full load at 3.40GHz instead of 2.66GHz default, is somewhere around 34 celcius. The AS5 hasn't quite settled in yet, but thats pretty damn chilly for an OC and on air. Idle, its 27-28C with an overclock. I don't know the temps when at stock, because as soon as i started her up for the first time i overclocked as hard as i could while retaining system stability. GPU is in wonderful condition, and is working. I have yet to try my 4650 again.

    ANYWAYS, something happened to my little television that i use as a monitor. I popped the 4650 in and fired up the desktop and the bios splash came up very briefly and then i was unable to get a picture from HDMI. What I realised hours later was that the television was acting sluggish, menu's were very laggy, switching display outputs was terribly delayed, and it took around 20-3 seconds to turn OFF. After unplugging and re-plugging the TV, everything was okay. =.=; I don't have an onboard speaker so my bios doesn't beep. It was posting the entire time silently while the TELEVISION was being a dick. Thanks for your help, guys! Hahahah, Im glad i didn't spend money for repairs pointlessly!


    Great news! Glad everything worked out in the end. A bit of a weird story from what you said, I suppose TVs can play nasty games with the computer.
  10. yep tv's are asshole :P monitors and the best! :na:
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems