Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 560, need help with choosing upgrade parts?

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2012 2:25:34 PM

Hello,
Recently bought RAM and Graphics card for my Inspiron 560, need to upgrade the PSU to be able to use the Graphics better.
current spec is:
10Gb DDR3 £AM
750Gb Caviar Black HDD (about to add an additional Terabyte)
CPU is dual core at 3GHz
64-Bit OS
AMD Radeon HD 6500 series graphics

My questions are:
1: What size PSU would you recommend and where can I get one cheap for this machine

2: Would you recommend e adding an additional 8Gb RAM? (will replace 2 1Gb cards)

3: Will a bigger PSU stop my machine blue screening? it's done it since I got my USB wireless adapter, and more since I added the graphics, will it solve the problem?

Please get back to me as soon as possible as I would like to take advantage of Christmas sales.
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 3:44:27 PM

It might; I'll assume you're still using the original dell ram that came with your system. You don't need 8 gb more of ram; it will cost extra to match exactly your old ram and it's not worth it. Mixing brands of ram on a dell board is very problematic. Yours may have hynix, but you can pull out one stick if you want to check. Here's a good power supply, but I don't know if it will reduce your bluescreens:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 3:45:22 PM

deleted; double post.
Related resources
December 27, 2012 8:21:01 AM

o1die said:
It might; I'll assume you're still using the original dell ram that came with your system. You don't need 8 gb more of ram; it will cost extra to match exactly your old ram and it's not worth it. Mixing brands of ram on a dell board is very problematic. Yours may have hynix, but you can pull out one stick if you want to check. Here's a good power supply, but I don't know if it will reduce your bluescreens:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well, the default RAM was 4 1Gb cards, I've replaced two with 4Gb so far, so it would only mean replacing the other two Dell cards to get me to 16Gb it currently stands at 10Gb and says so in the PC properties
And thank you, that should come in handy, don't suppose there is a higher wattage version as far as you know?
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2012 12:00:41 PM

Your dell can use any number of atx power supplies if your dell board doesn't have a proprietary ps connection. You can determine that with a quick exam of the cables going to the board. I never had any issues upgrading my hp power supplies, but dell may be different. I've worked at two of their pc buildings assemblying components and packaging systems, but not as a main builder. Corsair, antec, xfx, seasonic, enermax, ocz, and pc power and cooling are all good brands to use. Only a few models are too large to fit your dell case. 500w with any of those brands is plenty.
!