Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Artifacts and BSODs with Powercolor Radeon HD 7750

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2012 10:07:17 PM

I've been having issues in a lot of games and in benchmark software such as 3DMark 11 and Unigine Heaven. These issues involve artifacts that look missing texture polygons scrambling all over the place, as well as shimmering textures that kinda look like they're sliding along. I've recorded a good example of the missing texture artifact here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cATO8z-O_68&feature=yout...

I get this sort of issue in other games like Mass Effect 2, Torchlight 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, Assassin's Creed II and probably others I'm forgetting. As well my graphics driver will BSOD in several games and if I continue playing after it restarts itself the whole system will usually just freeze. I monitor my temps on my GPU and the highest I've seen it go is 75 celsius but usually is much lower, in the 50s or 60s so it's clearly not overheating.

Now I've tested my GPU for errors in software like OCCT, Furmark, and Video Memory RAM Test, and come up with no artifacts, crashing, or errors at all. As well I've tried just about every driver available for my card and they all give me the same results. I've tested my RAM and it has no errors. This is also a newly built system so I can't see my Windows install being a problem. This leads me to believe that either my GPU is faulty or my PSU isn't producing enough power. Could it possibly be something else? I'm thinking I should RMA my card but I would hate to wait a month just for them to send it back and tell me nothing is wrong.

Here's my specs if that will help:
Windows 7 64bit
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Powercolor Radeon HD 7750
4 GB DIMM DDR3-1600mhz RAM
Antec Earthwatts EA-500D 500w PSU

Really appreciate any advice.
June 20, 2012 10:13:47 PM

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, does the problem go away when running at stock speeds?
June 20, 2012 10:24:29 PM

The only thing I've been OCing is my CPU, although the problem existed before I ever OCed it. I just set it back to default clock speeds again, and loaded up Lord of the Rings in the same spot as in that video and the problem still exists.
Related resources
June 21, 2012 1:08:49 AM

Are all of your games fully patched?
June 21, 2012 1:17:47 AM

Your card can still be overheating. Try GPU-Z and look at the other temp sensors on the card.

Take the side off the case and point a fan in there while running.

You may just need to RMA the card.
June 21, 2012 2:38:48 AM

COLGeek said:
Are all of your games fully patched?

Yeah, a lot of the games force you to be online and fully up to date to play them, and most single player games I'll mostly keep up to date as well unless there's known issues with some patches.

Proximon said:
Your card can still be overheating. Try GPU-Z and look at the other temp sensors on the card.

Take the side off the case and point a fan in there while running.

You may just need to RMA the card.

I only have 1 temperature reading in GPU-Z, just the "GPU Temperature" reading. Does that mean my card doesn't have more than 1 sensor on it?

I took the case off and put a fan right next to it, ran a couple games and they still have problems. In fact the problems seem even worse now than when I tried them earlier today. If my card is going bad it's doing it rapidly. :??: 

Best solution

June 21, 2012 5:12:02 AM

Or that GPU-Z doesn't know how to find them.

I'm guessing it's the card as it is going south so fast. You would have to put in another to be sure of course.
June 21, 2012 8:18:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try and get another of the same card to see if it's any different, and if it is, RMA the seemingly bad one. By doing this at least I can crossfire them. Seems like Powercolor Support isn't the best though so this should be fun.
June 21, 2012 8:40:15 PM

Keep me informed about Powercolor. I own one, but never needed support. I always like to hear about support of a particular company.
June 23, 2012 3:34:27 AM

Ok I decided to get a new graphics card (HD 6850) and just installed and tested to find some of my issues eliminated (nothing wrong with LOTRO like in my video now) but some are still present. 3D Mark 11 looks awful with flashing pixels everywhere and in Mass Effect 2 I have a lot of textures loading weirdly. So I guess my next question would be...did I get really unlucky with another video card? Bad motherboard? Time to reinstall Windows? This is getting really frustrating.
June 23, 2012 5:40:11 AM

Try the other PCI-E slot. It's not ideal, but if it eliminates the issue that would be good.

Also try a different PSU. If neither works... better find another machine to test that card in.

Have you completely removed the drivers and installed fresh?
June 23, 2012 12:58:30 PM

Other PCI-E slot gives me the same results unfortunately.

I bought a new PSU along with that card so that shouldn't be a problem...but I suppose I'll just have to take the card back to the computer shop and let them check it out.

Also just completely reinstalled Windows and there's no change.

Seems like the problem is related to this after doing some reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

But I have no idea what causes that or how to fix it. :\

Actually just found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrM_UrtdmQ
And my Unigine Heaven looks exactly the same as that, same errors in the same spots. I just wish I didn't get similar problems in just about every other 3D application too.
June 23, 2012 5:51:15 PM

Sorry to reply to myself again. I've watched some videos and discovered there are lots of people encountering the exact same graphic glitches to a tee so I figure this must just be a software issue. Since getting my new card my BSODs and the worst artifacting I've encountered have disappeared so I will consider this problem solved. Thanks for the replies and assistance. It's nice to talk to people knowledgeable about this stuff at least.
June 23, 2012 5:51:40 PM

Best answer selected by cmerc.
!