Sign in with
Your question

Advice on my new pc

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2012 8:36:43 PM

hi there people.

i've recently build my very first computer, and so far it looks great. here are my specs
Computerspecs

motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX DDR3 CFX

cpu
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.33GHz 6MB Unlocked Box S1155

Ram
Corsair DDR3 PC1600 16GB kit CL9 VENGEANCE LP

Ssd
OCZ Vertex 3 Series SSD 240GB 550/500 MB r/w

powersupply
Corsair TX Series 650W TX650M 80+ Bronze

case
NZXT Phantom Crafted Series Hvid

graphics card
MSI Radeon HD7870 OC 2GB DDR5 TWIN FROZR

Cpu fan
Scythe Ninja 3 til S775/478/AM2/3

a dvd drive, which i had laying around, not sure about the name

can anybody see if i'll run into trouble down the road? i recently played bf3, and it tends to crash. I'm not sure about why this is, since it played crisis perfectly, and didn't seem to have any trouble at all. therefor it seemed weird to get a signal loss, together with bugged out sound. does someone have an explanation to this?
it's running maya perfectly, without slowing down

if i, at some point would want to upgrade my computer further, what should i upgrade? which parts, if any, could act as a possible bottleneck?

it seems pretty fun to fiddle around building your own pc, and it seems like something i could get hooked on, but i obviously still have a lot to learn :) 

greetings emil

More about : advice

August 11, 2012 1:21:49 AM

Looks great.

Not sure what's happening with BF3. Have you applied all the current updates to the game itself? Have you updated all your drivers? Have you applied all Windows updates? Updates and drivers are critical to the performance of your PC. :)  If none of this resolves the issue, try doing a fresh install of the game.

No bottlenecks should be occurring with your setup. If you plan on upgrading in the future, upgrade the GPU to either the hd 7950, hd 7970, or the gtx 670. Any of those would give you a decent boost in performance over the hd 7870.
August 11, 2012 2:07:35 AM

some parts could have been better like the CPU and the mobo but its ok

you could try updating the game or even the SSD firmware if the SSD has problems.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 11, 2012 8:52:19 AM

DeusAres said:
Looks great.

Not sure what's happening with BF3. Have you applied all the current updates to the game itself? Have you updated all your drivers? Have you applied all Windows updates? Updates and drivers are critical to the performance of your PC. :)  If none of this resolves the issue, try doing a fresh install of the game.

No bottlenecks should be occurring with your setup. If you plan on upgrading in the future, upgrade the GPU to either the hd 7950, hd 7970, or the gtx 670. Any of those would give you a decent boost in performance over the hd 7870.

i believe all of the computer is up to date. the thing with battlefield is quite annoying though. i guess i'll have to run the computer through when i get the chance. as i said, it runs other games, and maya as a dream, so I'm not really that worried.

would it be better to replace the gpu rather than he cpu? it was of my belief that the i5 was my computers weakest point?
August 11, 2012 8:56:22 AM

The i5 CPUs perform equal to more expensive CPUs in games (but not in other types of computer use), so the i5 is absolutely not one of the computer's weakest points.

So yes, you're better of replacing the GPU than the CPU.
August 11, 2012 2:39:11 PM

nafoni said:
The i5 CPUs perform equal to more expensive CPUs in games (but not in other types of computer use), so the i5 is absolutely not one of the computer's weakest points.

So yes, you're better of replacing the GPU than the CPU.

sounds great, thank you very much for the fast response.
August 11, 2012 2:42:00 PM

you dont need a replacement. the 7870 performs very well already
August 11, 2012 5:42:17 PM

I'm not saying he should replace it, just saying that if he ever needs to upgrade something, he should upgrade his GPU before his CPU.
August 11, 2012 6:08:01 PM

he should just get another 7870 to get more performance when he needs it
August 11, 2012 6:12:08 PM

Or he could just sell his hd 7870, add an extra $100 or so and get a single, powerful GPU.

The i5 2500k doesn't support PCIe 3.0. Therefore he may run into bandwidth issues if he tries crossfiring two hd 7870s.

[edit]

I know this is an old post, but after re-reading this comment, I just had to re-address it. Apparently I had a brain fart or something when I wrote this comment...bandwidth issues? Really? The i5 2500k with two HD 7870s would be perfectly fine. They would barely saturate the PCIe 2.0 slots, much less 3.0

However, microstuttering could be an issue.
August 11, 2012 6:16:21 PM

However, you shouldn't be having any problems with running BF3. The 7870 already has plenty of power.

And you said BF3 is crashing? Everything is up to date? Have you tried running malware scans? Try optimizing your computer by rebooting, scanning for viruses, and running a disk defrag utility.

[edit]
oops, actually if you have BF3 installed on the SSD DO NOT defrag it. Try updating your SSDs firmware. Afterwards, try doing a fresh reinstallation of BF3.
August 11, 2012 6:16:21 PM

yeah probably but cards have a hard time maxing out pci-e 2 anyways
August 12, 2012 7:49:30 AM

DeusAres said:
However, you shouldn't be having any problems with running BF3. The 7870 already has plenty of power.

And you said BF3 is crashing? Everything is up to date? Have you tried running malware scans? Try optimizing your computer by rebooting, scanning for viruses, and running a disk defrag utility.

[edit]
oops, actually if you have BF3 installed on the SSD DO NOT defrag it. Try updating your SSDs firmware. Afterwards, try doing a fresh reinstallation of BF3.

there shouldn't really be any mall ware, since its a brand new computer. it would be quite unfortunate, since it's only a few days old. but of course i'll run scans.... and i worn't defrag it then :) 

thanks for all the answers people
!