Spell damage and INT

Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2005 2:57:45 PM

Could somebody explain the difference between;

"Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"

and a +INT item.

In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
healing by 40"

Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?

TIA
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

More about : spell damage int

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:57:46 PM

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody explain the difference between;
>
> "Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"
>
> and a +INT item.
>
> In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
> and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
> healing by 40"
>
> Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?

I am of the belief that INT does nothing more than increase your pool of
mana. I don't think it impacts damage done at all.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:57:46 PM

I think it depends on if you normally are low in mana then go for the
INT. In my case, only rarely (like in some tough battles in instances)
do I run low on mana, and a pop of a cheap mana potion fixes it. I
prefer the +damage as it is always happening. I'd rather use something
that affects my performance 100% of the time than something that
affects it like once a week, but that's just me
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:18:50 PM

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Could somebody explain the difference between;
>
> "Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"
>
> and a +INT item.
>
> In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
> and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
> healing by 40"
>
> Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?
>
> TIA
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...
>
> Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
> Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
> Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
> Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
> Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
> Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:22:58 PM

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

(Sorry, wrong button in the first post :-/)

> Could somebody explain the difference between;
>
> "Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"
>
> and a +INT item.
>
> In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
> and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
> healing by 40"
>
> Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?

Don't remember the exact rules, but +40 damage basically means your spells
do 40 damage more each time you cast them.
But:
- It doesn't affect damage over time spells (or healing over time)
- It's depending on the cast time of your spell. There's a cap where
you receive the full bonus (3.5s IIRC), the faster your spell is
cast the less bonus you get

I prefer +Int over +damage/+healing, as long as the effect isn't
insanely high, because I heal mostly with rejuvenation (HoT only)
and regrowth (50% instant healing, 50% HoT) and because even +40
healing/damage isn't much compared to the additional mana you can
get by wearing +Int gear.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (57) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:22:58 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

>"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote:
>
>(Sorry, wrong button in the first post :-/)
>
>> Could somebody explain the difference between;
>>
>> "Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"
>>
>> and a +INT item.
>>
>> In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
>> and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
>> healing by 40"
>>
>> Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?
>
>Don't remember the exact rules, but +40 damage basically means your spells
>do 40 damage more each time you cast them.
>But:
>- It doesn't affect damage over time spells (or healing over time)

Wrong. It does affect "over time" spells, but the effect is spread out
over the ticks, so each tick only gets "effect/# ticks".

>- It's depending on the cast time of your spell. There's a cap where
> you receive the full bonus (3.5s IIRC), the faster your spell is
> cast the less bonus you get

Afaik, you get 100% bonus at 3.5 secs and above, and ~40% at 1.5 secs
and below. Area spells only get half bonus.

>I prefer +Int over +damage/+healing, as long as the effect isn't
>insanely high, because I heal mostly with rejuvenation (HoT only)
>and regrowth (50% instant healing, 50% HoT) and because even +40
>healing/damage isn't much compared to the additional mana you can
>get by wearing +Int gear.

Also, 1 int = 15 mana, so the difference between the above items is
120 mana vs. "Increased damage and healing by 40".

Frankly, I don't know which is better, but personally I choose int
because "Increased damage and healing" usually come in pitifull
amounts - 40 sounds pretty high, to be honest. More limited increases
(eg. only healing or fire damage) comes in larger amounts, but are
naturally more limited in their use.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:22:58 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
> <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>>- It doesn't affect damage over time spells (or healing over time)
>
> Wrong. It does affect "over time" spells, but the effect is spread out
> over the ticks, so each tick only gets "effect/# ticks".

Ah, thanks.

>>- It's depending on the cast time of your spell. There's a cap where
>> you receive the full bonus (3.5s IIRC), the faster your spell is
>> cast the less bonus you get
>
> Afaik, you get 100% bonus at 3.5 secs and above, and ~40% at 1.5 secs
> and below. Area spells only get half bonus.

Ok, didn't remember the rule about AoE spells.

>>I prefer +Int over +damage/+healing, as long as the effect isn't
>>insanely high, because I heal mostly with rejuvenation (HoT only)
>>and regrowth (50% instant healing, 50% HoT) and because even +40
>>healing/damage isn't much compared to the additional mana you can
>>get by wearing +Int gear.
>
> Also, 1 int = 15 mana, so the difference between the above items is
> 120 mana vs. "Increased damage and healing by 40".
>
> Frankly, I don't know which is better, but personally I choose int
> because "Increased damage and healing" usually come in pitifull
> amounts - 40 sounds pretty high, to be honest. More limited increases
> (eg. only healing or fire damage) comes in larger amounts, but are
> naturally more limited in their use.

Agreed. Yesterday, this little baby dropped in UBRS:
http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?witem=12960
I guess I'll keep that one (along with my living leggings and
pauldrons). But that's about it, I second that those stats usually
come in very low amounts..

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (57) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
July 22, 2005 6:17:08 PM

>I am of the belief that INT does nothing more than increase your pool of
>mana. I don't think it impacts damage done at all.

I heard that 100 mana = +1% crit chance as well
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:11:18 PM

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message

> Frankly, I don't know which is better, but personally I choose int
> because "Increased damage and healing" usually come in pitifull
> amounts - 40 sounds pretty high, to be honest. More limited increases
> (eg. only healing or fire damage) comes in larger amounts, but are
> naturally more limited in their use.

And let us not forget the increase in spell critical hit% provided by
+Int items, as well. Every little bit helps :-)
-Marshall
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:58:45 PM

wolfing left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I think it depends on if you normally are low in mana then go for the
> INT. In my case, only rarely (like in some tough battles in instances)
> do I run low on mana, and a pop of a cheap mana potion fixes it. I
> prefer the +damage as it is always happening. I'd rather use something
> that affects my performance 100% of the time than something that
> affects it like once a week, but that's just me

Thx for all the replies. I've taken to crunching the numbers in a
spreadsheet to show me the effects of INT vs EFFECT and it's quite...
interesting.

I made up an excel spreadsheet which calculated the total available
effect (I.e. damage or healing) available based on priesty's mana pool
and also as an aside another sheet which reversed the formula giving me
the necessary +EFFECT amount needed to equal a certain +INT.

I won't go into the numbers in detail but in general the larger your
mana pool the better off you are with +Effect items. This diminishes
with the amount of damage/heal a particular effect does.

To offset a +10 INT item for using Mind Blast I would need to have +18
effect. For Mind Flay this goes down to just +15 effect. These are
spells with smaller effects (672dmg, 555dmg). Compared with bigger
effects such as Greater Heal (2535 heal) I would have to find a +effect
of +69 to counter a +10 int item.

Comparing +int to +effect is very difficult since it does depend on your
mana pool (which is a circular argument since your mana is tied into
+int anyway) and it depends on the amount of effect your spells use.

In short if you mainly use 'low effect' spells such as Mind Blast, Mind
Flay, Renew, Flash Heal then go for +effect items assuming your mana
pool doesn't suffer for it - remember the less mana you have you suffer
diminishing returns from +effect items.

--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:00:37 PM

Stoneskin left a note on my windscreen which said:

> In short if you mainly use 'low effect' spells such as Mind Blast, Mind
> Flay, Renew, Flash Heal then go for +effect items assuming your mana
> pool doesn't suffer for it - remember the less mana you have you suffer
> diminishing returns from +effect items.

Forgot to add that, in general terms for the above go with +effect at a
ratio of 2 to 1 or more. +10INT ~ +20 effect.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:27:34 PM

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody explain the difference between;
>
> "Increases damage and healing done by spells and effects"
>
> and a +INT item.
>
> In other words if you were choosing between a robe which offered +20 INT
> and a robe which offered +12 INT in addition to "Increased damage and
> healing by 40"
>
> Which would be better for a damage dealing mage or a healing priest?

You need to decide based on your own experiences whether you need more mana
or more dps/healing. Take your mage for instance. Does he run out of hps
or mana first? If he runs out of mana then take int. If he runs out of hps
but still has mana then take +damage.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:30:05 PM

"Night Elf" <email@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bqo42$em0$1@ss405.t-com.hr...

>>I am of the belief that INT does nothing more than increase your pool of
>>mana. I don't think it impacts damage done at all.
>
> I heard that 100 mana = +1% crit chance as well

And +1% crit = +0.5% dps
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:38:10 PM

Stoneskin wrote:
> Stoneskin left a note on my windscreen which said:
>

>>In short if you mainly use 'low effect' spells such as Mind Blast, Mind
>>Flay, Renew, Flash Heal then go for +effect items assuming your mana
>>pool doesn't suffer for it - remember the less mana you have you suffer
>>diminishing returns from +effect items.
>

> Forgot to add that, in general terms for the above go with +effect at a
> ratio of 2 to 1 or more. +10INT ~ +20 effect.

Let's complicate things a bit and add mana regen in the equation.

[snip]

Nah it becomes too complicated :p

Basically if you have a less mana pool for the same damage (+damage from
items), you'll benefit more from spirit. but basically as well, +spirit
comes with +int... but +spirit and +int together cancel the benefit of
+spirit...

Ideally, you want +spirit, +damage items and a mana regen build for
maximum efficiency (faster killing due to fewer spells, slower downtime
due to higher mana regen/mana total ratio). Or +mana ever second or
something.

....too complex. Unless you trip upon the ideal item combo, use your +2
damage = +1 int rule :p
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:50:24 AM

Night Elf wrote:
>>I am of the belief that INT does nothing more than increase your pool of
>>mana. I don't think it impacts damage done at all.
>

> I heard that 100 mana = +1% crit chance as well

100 int == +1% crit chance.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:07:57 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:50:24 -0500, Matt DeMoss
<"mdemoss["@]uark[.]edu> wrote:

>Night Elf wrote:
>>>I am of the belief that INT does nothing more than increase your pool of
>>>mana. I don't think it impacts damage done at all.
>>
>> I heard that 100 mana = +1% crit chance as well
>>
>100 int == +1% crit chance.

Doh, I didn't see that when I read it the first time, but yes - it is
most definitely 100 INT, and not mana, that gives +1 crit%.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann - whose priest has ~6000 mana, and nowhere near 60%

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ideally, you want +spirit, +damage items and a mana regen build for
> maximum efficiency (faster killing due to fewer spells, slower downtime
> due to higher mana regen/mana total ratio). Or +mana ever second or
> something.
>
> ...too complex. Unless you trip upon the ideal item combo, use your +2
> damage = +1 int rule :p

And it gets even more complex once you consider that the greater
your mana pool is, the more you benefit from +effect gear. Because
this makes you wear +effect gear when you have a big mana pool,
which will reduce your mana pool (less +int gear), which makes your
+effect gear less effective. And so on.

I decided to take the item that looks best. My head stopped hurting
after that decision.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (58) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Christian Stauffer left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > ...too complex. Unless you trip upon the ideal item combo, use your +2
> > damage = +1 int rule :p
>
> And it gets even more complex once you consider that the greater
> your mana pool is, the more you benefit from +effect gear. Because
> this makes you wear +effect gear when you have a big mana pool,
> which will reduce your mana pool (less +int gear), which makes your
> +effect gear less effective. And so on.

Yep. The larger your mana pool the more spells you can cast - +INT will
give you more casts where +DMG gives you additional DMG per cast. So
you see a greater percentage benefit in the spells you cast alot (Mind
Blast) and makes 'Big Hit' spells (Greater Heal) less effective since +
40 Effect on a spell which heals does 3000HP is a much lower increase
percentage wise.

But I do like your idea - go with what looks cool :)
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior