Is my power supply enough for my graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

aw6qm8.jpg

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560ti/specifications

and iv got a phenom 955

does my power supply have enough amps?

Solution

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Not sure if the PSU delivers what's advertised , best get a good psu , that one is provably struggling when you're gaming heavy . That gpu pulls a lot of juice , I'd get a 550 watt minimum psu from a good brand just to have some headroom

Hi again - That PSU while being crappy does deliver 500w!
It has 30Amps on the +12v rail.
What makes it crappy is poor efficiency and ripple & noise
above max allowed.

So, as I said earlier, you should start saving $ now for a new PSU,
but in the meantime this one will support your sys.
Tot sys power draw with the 560ti is approx 340w(28amps all rails).

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

How much you think it's pulling on 12v when sys is being stressed ? That Psu failed every test over 366 watts , warranty is 2 years(hmm wonder why ?) , noise and ripple off the charts . I would not trust a couple hundred dollars of equipment with that PSU . Always buy a bit more than you need , you never know what upgrade is in your future . Plus that thing wastes a good amount of power running your computer .

1st - I told the op it was lousy and he should save for another psu and advised about
poor efficiency and ripple n noise.

Don't know where you got you failed over 366w info but Hardware Secrets one of the top
three PSU review sites tests show otherwise. You can read the review if you care to.

It delivers 500w period!

Look - give it a rest - I stated from the beginning it was a lousy PSU

What page of the hardwaresecrets review does it say it failed evrything over 360w?

From jonnyguru the top psu review site:

Power Supply Basics:

Is there such a thing as "too much power"?

Generally, no. A power supply only puts out as much power as needed by the system's components. In some cases, an 800W power supply may actually use less power from the wall than a 500W power supply, depending on the efficiency of the units. Often times, buying an "oversized" PSU is a good choice due to it's ability to perform even under higher temperatures, a quieter fan because the unit is delivering a lower percentage of it's total capability and considerable system upgradability without having to worry about having enough power when upgrading a graphics card, adding a graphics card for SLI or additional hard drives.

It seems the best experts (which you are not)in the business not only don't see anything wrong in having more
PSU power than you need, but actually say it's a good choice. I think I'll accept their findings over those of some hack.

And yes, that's one of the things I read before I purch my 650w psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.