Help, will HD5450 1GB DDR3 work on a 250w PSU?

weirdoweirdo

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Good evening, I'm a bit confusing for a videocard that can run well on my PC. I want to buy a videocard to increase performance on HD videos, cinema, etc and maybe a bit for old video games.

I understand the main things to have in mind is board compatibility and needed PSU. My PC is 4 years old and it has and ACER 946GZT-AM V.1.0 motherboard, comes with PCI-e 1.1 which I believe PCI-e 2.0 cards are compatible.

The rest are:
-Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2,00 Ghz
-1x2 GB Markvision RAM
-Delta Electronics DPS-250AB 250W

I put an eye for the ati HD5450 or nvidia gt210, which I like for the cheap price and well performance for cinema, any other upper than these require more than 350W I think.

I research on forums and some says that HD5450 can perform well on a 250W PSU, others says at least 300W is needed.

Please I beg for help here, any suggestions is appreciated, if I should change the Power supply I will do it, but I want to know if I won't have problems with this HD5450 on this board.

here's the PSU label: http://oi48.tinypic.com/11hbc3r.jpg

Thanks.

Edit: I decided to buy a >500 W PSU, if there's a chance to go for an upper videocard, which will be good? Gt430? Gt220?

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,

Well as @ct1615 said your psu should be fine, and I noticed you decided to get a bigger one, and that does indeed open up some doors to what you can get. What is your budget for getting a graphics card?

I strongly recommend a better psu, I agree delta does make some ok power supplies but they usually outsource them to other companies instead of using them themselves.

That power supply is only capable of 180w at max load I surely wouldn't put any graphics card in that without first upgrading.

Edit: derp, I thought you had a 95w cpu instead of 65. Still a better idea to get a better quality psu.

I wasn't aware they made dell psus, though I am using their Antec EA 500D in my current system, its a pretty alright power supply.