Computer upgrade

Vikz4

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Was thinking of getting the gtx 670 in my machine just wondered what would be best way to go about it

Current setup :

GA-MA790XT-UD4P
AMD QUAD CORE PHENOM II 965CPU 3.6 GHz
8GIG DDR3 1600mhz RAM 
600 WATT CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY RATED BRONZE 80+
NVIDIA 480GTX 1.5GB DDR5
ANTEC  THREE HUNDRED CASE

Would have to change the mobo and proccessor iam guessing. , anything else that would need changing?

For processor i was thinking the intel i5 2500k..would this bottleneck the GPU
And what you think for mobo.

Thanks!

drums101

Distinguished
an i5 2500k would in no way bottle neck a 670......you wouldnt HAVE to upgrade your cpu and mobo you could get by with your current setup with a little OC..if you want to go that route I would recommend this cooler for either cpu (new or current one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

and as far as a new motherboard goes if you go that route it really depends on your budget for parts and if you plan to sli later on...

here is a good board that DOES NOT do SLI for pretty cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297

Vikz4

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Think i may go with the overclocking..
I have watercooling on my cpu, would that be enough?
And would a 670 fit in my mobo as its PCI-E 3.0

drums101

Distinguished
yes a 670 would fit on your mobo...pcie 3.0 is fully backwards compatible...you wont even notice a performance difference. also what water cooling do you have on your cpu? is it a custom loop? if so thats def more than enough to oc alot if its an all in one system you can oc just no where near as much

drums101

Distinguished
yea you would def notice a difference with a 670 performance wise its not gonna be insanely different but you will be pulling more frames.....but there will be a huge difference in heat output and power usage the 480 is a monster when it comes to those two categories.

Vikz4

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Watercooling :

ZALMAN CPU WATERBLOCK 
PHOBYA CHANGER 120 RADIATOR WITH PUSH PULL FAN SYSTEM
XSPC SINGLE BAY PUMP RESERVOIR WITH BLACK OR CHROME FACE
UV BLUE THERMOCHILL EC6 LIQUID IN THE SYSTEM

drums101

Distinguished
ahh so you already have your cpu watercooled....yea man a 670 would fit in great with your system....you can put a good OC on that cpu and with a 670 you will be flying high....it would be a kick ass setup

drums101

Distinguished
overlcocking is not that hard..it can seem intimidating at first....really what you do is you bump the clock speed up a little at a time and test it each time until it is not stable then you go back and up the cpu voltage a little bit and test for stability until it is stable at that speed then if you want more speed you raise the clock speed up and then raise the voltage again until its stable at that speed once again