First boot temps too high

spencer-a-farias

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hey guys I just finished my first build and powered it up and noticed my CPU temps were way to high. Specs: 2500k CPU, as rock pro4 mobo, hyper 212 evo, evo thermal paste, diablotek mid atx case.

The room temp is currently 75f. The cpu maxed out at roughly 85f before I turned it off out of fear and it appeared to still be climbing. Only thing I may have done wrong is use too much thermal paste. If you need pics no problem, thanks for the help.

Solution
No, that is not high(even at idle a cpu generates heat.). Some EUFI bios setups actually cause the cpu to warm up. Also at this point power management has not kicked in yet.

Don't worry until you are pushing 70+c

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
First of all, is it 85f or 85c? I'm assuming you meant 85c. Try replacing the thermal grease (use a rice grain size amount). If that doesn't work, try using a different program to monitor temps. If that doesn't work, make sure the clamps are properly tightened and everything.

G

Looks like he said 85 Fahrenheit. If its 85 Celsius, then you have an issue. Try cleaning out the paste and reapplying only a pea sized amount in the center. Other possibilities include a bad chip, poor airflow inside case, etc.

spencer-a-farias

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hey guys thanks for the replies and for some reason I was thinking the chips max was 72f and for some reason my bios was also in Fahrenheit. I just changed it to Celsius and am getting roughly 31c in bios. Is this not still quite high however especially with the no load and the 212 cooler?