Help finalizing Photo/Video editing build!

HuRr1c4n3

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hey all,

I am looking to build a new computer, my current computer is 6 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I video and photo edit as a hobby, I love to do it. I am no professional by any means but I would still like a respectable computer to do work on.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next week.

Budget Range: 1300-1400 after all is said and done (rebates and shipping)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo & (HD) Video editing, gaming, hd movies, internet.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Whole new computer

Do you need to buy OS: No (using windows 7, will upgrade to 8 when released)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any U.S. store minus microcenter as I live in Orlando.

Parts Preferences: Would like an ivy bridge cpu

Overclocking: Within the year

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe at a later date but not thinking about it now.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Why Are You Upgrading: My current computer is 6 years old, I want to start fresh and have a good computer to use for photo&video editing.

I've picked out what I think is a quality computer for my listed activities at a decent price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/el9f

My main questions would have to be, how much difference will the hyper threading in an i7 make compared to an i5 when editing and rendering video? Are we talking hours or just a few minutes difference? I will be using Sony Vegas and Photoshop. Also, when gaming I would like to run games like Battlefield, Assassins Creed, Skyrim and Crysis at High (sometimes ultra for less graphically intensive games). Would the 670 be overkill? Should I wait for the 660Ti or should I gamble on a Radeon and their sketchy drivers? Thanks in advance!

HuRr1c4n3

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Since photo/video editing is a hobby, would I see a large performance drop (rendering takes hours instead of minutes, long loading times in photoshop, etc) compared to the money saved if I switched the i7 3770k to an i5 3570k? Also, is the gpu I selected overkill for my needs? Even though my budget is 1300-1400 I wouldn't mind saving money here and there and maybe only spending 1200 if the price/performance is still there.

TRENDING THREADS