Need Some Help on Picking a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
Hello everyone, I picked out my parts for my new gaming build and I was going to pick a Corsair HX650w Gold PSU but I heard that people have been having problems with it, like speaking, chirping and annoying little noises and that it is a problem with all the HX650's.

So I have decided that I am not going to get that one. (Maybe unless I am wrong about what I said and those people just got lemons).

I am deciding between these PSU's

Seasonic X-Series 650w- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=seasonic%20x650 (I was going to get this until I noticed the price of shipping....)

XFX 650w- http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manufacture=XFX#CustomerReviews

Or keep that Corsair HX650w and send it back if somethings wrong- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&Tpk=corsair%20hx650

Please help me I was not happy when I heard all that about the corsair I was going to get.

Specs-
Processor- I5-3570k
GPU- Gigabyte Gtx 670 OC

Will be overclocking these once I get them.

Solution

Hi - try amazon.com, they ship internationally. I don't know if it'll be worth
it or not, but no harm in checking it out. The Seasonic X-650 is an
outstanding PSU, here's a couple of snippets from jonnyguru:

"Well, I guess I'm the only one screaming in here, and it's due to excitement. In test two, the X650 is actually more efficient than it was cold, and even test five barely sees any drop. This platform is really outstanding when it comes to pure efficiency.
Know what else is...

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
That Seasonic X650w is a really good unit if you can swing the extra money for it that's what I would get, to bad your in Canada that same power supply is on sale for $89 in the States. That XFX unit is also a nice unit its made by Seasonic. As far as the Corsair HX650 it is also a Seasonic unit but it seems it may have some problems that have surfaced.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Yeah I have heard really good things about that seasonic x650w, to bad the sale isn't in Canada.... Do you think that it is worth the $160 +$14 shipping? And are there any other sites that sell it? I have looked but it looks like newegg only sells it. :/

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Is it a good one and is it good quality like the seasonic?

(Good Price!) Why are they so cheap? and it's modular!

EDIT- Derrrr, it's made by seasonic :D

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
No I don't think it's worth almost double what the XFX units cost since they too are very nice and capable PSU's - the 7 year warranty v the 5 year and GOLD certification is nice but not worth that much extra in my opinion. The XFX 650w is your best bet, even the 750w unit jerry linked to is something to consider if you plan to SLI in the future.

Hi - try amazon.com, they ship internationally. I don't know if it'll be worth
it or not, but no harm in checking it out. The Seasonic X-650 is an
outstanding PSU, here's a couple of snippets from jonnyguru:

"Well, I guess I'm the only one screaming in here, and it's due to excitement. In test two, the X650 is actually more efficient than it was cold, and even test five barely sees any drop. This platform is really outstanding when it comes to pure efficiency.
Know what else is outstanding? The fact that the unit was still fanless in my hot box. Sure, it only stayed off for test one, but let me be honest here - I've never had a fanless unit stay fanless in the hot box. It just gets too hot for most fanless units to stay that way.
And look - I did get the unit up to high ambient temps. Forty eight degrees, to be specific. Forty eight marshmallow roasting, butter melting, finger burning degrees, to be prolific. For-ty eig-ht de-gree-s to be sporadic. But look - the X650 didn't mind one bit. Why, it barely added any of its own heat to things, only hitting fifty nine by the time test five was over. For a while there, I thought the thermometer was faulty. Even better, the fan was barely spinning at all through the whole session."

• "Seasonic Patented DC Connector Module with Integrated VRM * [Voltage Regulator Module]
This patented full modular design minimizes voltage drop and impedance, maximizes efficiency and enhances the overall performance for cooling and reliability. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-Impedance? I think the word you want there is "resistance," Seasonic. Impedance is a function of AC power, not DC.
o Benefits:
 Minimizes resistance and voltage drop to maximize efficiency.
 Consolidates and minimizes component useage to create space to improve airflow for better heat dissipation & cooling.
 Extensive use of Al & SMD automation reduces human error and improves reliability.
 Simple & ingenious design for a clean layout achieves unsurpassed quality and performance.
• 80 Plus® Gold Certified
At least 87%, 90%, 87% efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% operating loads, respectively.
-We'll have to see in the load testing part of the review how well this unit does in meeting these targets.
• Seasonic Patented "Hybrid Silent Fan Control" *
An industry first, advanced 3 phased (Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode.) thermal control balances between silence and cooling. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-I'm not sure about this one. We've seen fanless before, and we've seen operation that ramps up the fan according to temperature before too. What's new and different here, exactly, that needs patenting?
• Sanyo Denki - San Ace PWM Silent Fan
The superb high-grade San Ace Pulse Width Modulation fan pairs perfectly with the Hybrid Silent Fan control circuit for super low noise & cooling performance.
-Interesting... I'm not sure fanless operation has been done with a PWM fan before. Maybe that's what they're patenting."
o Benefits:
 Reduces noise without increase in temperature.
 Extends fan life by eliminating unnecessary rotation.
 Optimizes heat dissipation at all times.
 Fanless mode (0 dBA) provides unsurpassed silent performance.
• Active Power Factor Correction [99% PF Typical]
Reduces line loss and power distortion.
• Highly Reliable 105°C Japanese Brand Capacitors
Exceptionally reliable components extend product life.
• Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors
Enhanced stability at severe operating conditions.
• Tight Voltage Regulation [±3%]
• High +12V Output
• Dual Sided PCB Layout
• 5 Years Warranty
• Full Modular Cabling
• Universal AC Input [Full Range]
• Multi-GPU Technologies Supported
• Patented Easy Swap Connector
• All-in-One DC Cabling Design

However, the Seasonic built XFX pro 650 or 750 seem to be very good deals,
and may be your best bet on a quality PSU for your system.

Tom

Solution

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Yeah I checked Amazon.com but i wasn't aloud to ship to my location. I decided to order the XFX pro 750w for $90, If I ever want to get another power supply Ill look at that seasonic.

Thanks for the Info

excellent choice - you will be happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.