flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Since I'll probably be replacing my 75GXP b/c of the problems I just heard about it, I took a look at fujitsu's hard drives. Unbeleivable, I paid 200$ for my 75GXP, which has a 37 mbps sustained transfer rate, where as the 120$ Fujitsu hard drive has a transfer rate of 60mbps! Both are 40 gigs. Anyone had experience w/ the fujitsu line of hard drives?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

I think you'll find the transfer rate is constant at UDMA 66 or 100 regardless of the drive. The IBMs are cheaper for GB per buck. The IBMs are quiet, cool and reliable.

Don't know much about Fujitsus, although I was going for one over a Quantum until the 60GXP came out. I think it was down to popular opinion.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd recommend the IBMs; they seem to be better overall.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""How about support?""

They have best support I have ever experienced with any company, for the harddrives they have 3 years no questions asked replacement policy if drive goes tits up. The only thing I can say about them, they go tits up more than any drive I have seeing so far. But you get the replacement right away though. And yeah, they are more quite than IBM ones, always were... heh.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"" Fujitsu hard drive has a transfer rate of <b>60mbps</b>!""

In what dream you saw that number? (just curious ;)

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
There is a difference between the interface transfer rate (maximum data rate going through the cable - 33 MBs for ATA33; 66MBs for ATA66 and 100MBs for ATA100) and the drive sustained transfer rate (data actualy coming out of the drive). Top IDE drives are about 40MB/s.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think fujitsu make good hard drive. I have a 4gig fujitsu hard dirve in Pentium 166 computer. It is my route for internet connection so is on all the time. Have use it for over 3 years did not give any problem

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""is on all the time""

It is much more better and easier for the drive to stay on all the time. It lasts longer that way. But anyway, I built P-166 MMX for the friend of mine 4 years ago, and 1.6 Gig Fujitsu drive with it, it is on and off every day, and the fanny thing, it is still working like a champ. 4 Gig one (in other friends puter) died after 2 years, which is good term for the drive. To compare with other brands, I still have 3 WD 1 gig drivez, 5 years old!, still running in older systems.

G

I May be wrong, but i do remember reading somewhere fujitsu manufactures some Hard drives under the IBM label, can anyone enlighten me?

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

I have a 4.3gb fujitsu now a 4gb still running perfectly after 3.5 years of full on use and abuse in home/office/kids situation. Bought a new 30gb IBM something recently and it died within a week, may have been a lemon! IBM shouldnt be selling fruit..

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I found it:

<A HREF="http://home-news.excite.ca/news/zd/010802/08/fujitsu-exits-desktop" target="_new"> Fujitsu is out !</A>

<i><font color=red>"Fujitsu Computer Products of America announced ... that it will exit the desktop hard-drive business....
Fujitsu will halt desktop hard drive production later this year."</font color=red></i>

What are we talking about then?
BTW, I agree, they were really good on return policy. I just came once to their main center (my local actually), and they checked and did the exchange on a bigger HDD right away.
Too sad to know that they are out.

Jitterbug

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
NOT a 75 GXP IBM, they are bad news. I had two go in three months. Go to the fourms at storagereview and you will find hundreds of posts about this drive. Some start with "lets start a class action" that is how bad it is. Look at the major web sites, and newsgroups you will find the same thing.
They replaced my 75 with a 60 series and it is good so far. I trust this series (the 60). But they really put me through a bunch of hoops to get a replacement, and a little over three weeks to get my replacement. THat is after I got the box you have to buy from another web site that is linked from IBM's site. $11.00 US for the box + 6.?? to ship it (it has to have a tracking number) It took three weeks to get the box, then a little over another three to get the replacement.
You can say how bad Intel is, but when it came to having a bad part like they did with the 90 Pentium they just replaced them, IBM should do the same. Sir Lou indeed.

TRENDING THREADS