Shutdown or Hiberntion Timer

Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set a timer to turn off or
hibernate my computer after say an hour? I am a new computer user and cannot
seem to work this out. I want to set an audio file running and then hibernate
once my child has fallen alseep without having to go back into the room or
let it run on too long. In the same way that there is a 'sleep' function on
most TVs.
5 answers Last reply
More about shutdown hiberntion timer

    You cannot set your system to use/run or download a file
    once you set a time to hibernate.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Sammyjane wrote:
    > Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set a timer to turn off or
    > hibernate my computer after say an hour? I am a new computer user and cannot
    > seem to work this out. I want to set an audio file running and then hibernate
    > once my child has fallen alseep without having to go back into the room or
    > let it run on too long. In the same way that there is a 'sleep' function on
    > most TVs.

    I'm not sure this will work, but how about - Control Panel, Power
    Options, Hibernate tab, select Enable Hibernation, click Apply, go to
    the Power Schemes tab, there is a drop down next to System hibernates,
    select the time and then click OK. I don't know if you have an audio
    file playing if the computer will consider it inactive or not and go
    into hibernation.

    ken

    Poweroff 3.0
    http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm

    [[It can power off, shutdown or reboot your pc, log you off, lock your
    workstation, go to standby or hibernation mode and even wake up another
    pc.]]

    [[The action can be performed immediately or scheduled, by using a built-in
    scheduler.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:37E83271-1A99-4E8D-A275-558A948A56A6@microsoft.com,
    Sammyjane <Sammyjane@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set a timer to turn off or
    > hibernate my computer after say an hour? I am a new computer user and
    > cannot seem to work this out. I want to set an audio file running and
    > then hibernate once my child has fallen alseep without having to go back
    > into the room or let it run on too long. In the same way that there is a
    > 'sleep' function on most TVs.

    Thanks for your help I will give this a go and see if it works, looks good. :-)

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Poweroff 3.0
    > http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm
    >
    > [[It can power off, shutdown or reboot your pc, log you off, lock your
    > workstation, go to standby or hibernation mode and even wake up another
    > pc.]]
    >
    > [[The action can be performed immediately or scheduled, by using a built-in
    > scheduler.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:37E83271-1A99-4E8D-A275-558A948A56A6@microsoft.com,
    > Sammyjane <Sammyjane@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set a timer to turn off or
    > > hibernate my computer after say an hour? I am a new computer user and
    > > cannot seem to work this out. I want to set an audio file running and
    > > then hibernate once my child has fallen alseep without having to go back
    > > into the room or let it run on too long. In the same way that there is a
    > > 'sleep' function on most TVs.

    Let us know. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:48BD7F6A-E62E-4F02-A0CA-CF89FFFA5174@microsoft.com,
    Sammyjane <Sammyjane@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for your help I will give this a go and see if it works, looks
    > good. :-)
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Poweroff 3.0
    >> http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm
    >>
    >> [[It can power off, shutdown or reboot your pc, log you off, lock your
    >> workstation, go to standby or hibernation mode and even wake up another
    >> pc.]]
    >>
    >> [[The action can be performed immediately or scheduled, by using a
    >> built-in scheduler.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:37E83271-1A99-4E8D-A275-558A948A56A6@microsoft.com,
    >> Sammyjane <Sammyjane@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set a timer to turn off or
    >>> hibernate my computer after say an hour? I am a new computer user and
    >>> cannot seem to work this out. I want to set an audio file running and
    >>> then hibernate once my child has fallen alseep without having to go back
    >>> into the room or let it run on too long. In the same way that there is a
    >>> 'sleep' function on most TVs.

Configuration Hibernate Shutdown Computers Windows XP