Using external flash with Olympus 7070

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I am a film shooter, but am looking to get into digital. I like the specs of
the Olympus Camedia 7070, and am thinking of that, or the Casio Exilim 700.
Both allow the usage of external flashes (big thing for me). The Casio is
very nice in that it has a pc input, but the Olympus has a hot shoe.

I know that there are infrared hot shoe slaves that work with film cameras,
but am wondering if these will work with the Olympus too? I didin't see any
specifics about those at their website, and quite frankly, I don't trust the
words of my local Fry's sales"person".

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

You can buy a very inexpensive hot shoe adapter that adds a PC socket. The
C-7070's hot shoe is quite conventional in being backwards compatible with
non-dedicated flash units and accessories (like the PC socket add-on) as
well benefitting from Olympus' own dedicated flash system. If the infra red
slave system you describe is a simple non-dedicated device designed for use
on standard hot shoes, it should work fine on the 7070.

The Casio Exilim P700 is an attractive camera -compact and lightweight, but
the Olympus C7070 is a much more sophisticated camera - it has a wider angle
zoom, RAW image capability and a tilting LCD monitor.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

*Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of Adobe
Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html

*Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote in message
> You can buy a very inexpensive hot shoe adapter that adds a PC socket. The
> C-7070's hot shoe is quite conventional in being backwards compatible with
> non-dedicated flash units and accessories (like the PC socket add-on) as
> well benefitting from Olympus' own dedicated flash system. If the infra
> red slave system you describe is a simple non-dedicated device designed
> for use on standard hot shoes, it should work fine on the 7070.
>
> The Casio Exilim P700 is an attractive camera -compact and lightweight,
> but the Olympus C7070 is a much more sophisticated camera - it has a wider
> angle zoom, RAW image capability and a tilting LCD monitor.
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com

Thanks for the input. Yes, the slave is really just so that my studio
strobes will fire. Any contraption would probably work. I was just wondering
if their's was a proprietary thing.

And yes, I will most likely go with the Olympus. I played around with one
again this afternoon, and the swivel viewer is a really nice feature.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS