Using external flash with Olympus 7070

Hi,

I am a film shooter, but am looking to get into digital. I like the specs of
the Olympus Camedia 7070, and am thinking of that, or the Casio Exilim 700.
Both allow the usage of external flashes (big thing for me). The Casio is
very nice in that it has a pc input, but the Olympus has a hot shoe.

I know that there are infrared hot shoe slaves that work with film cameras,
but am wondering if these will work with the Olympus too? I didin't see any
specifics about those at their website, and quite frankly, I don't trust the
words of my local Fry's sales"person".

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
2 answers Last reply
More about using external flash olympus 7070

    You can buy a very inexpensive hot shoe adapter that adds a PC socket. The
    C-7070's hot shoe is quite conventional in being backwards compatible with
    non-dedicated flash units and accessories (like the PC socket add-on) as
    well benefitting from Olympus' own dedicated flash system. If the infra red
    slave system you describe is a simple non-dedicated device designed for use
    on standard hot shoes, it should work fine on the 7070.

    The Casio Exilim P700 is an attractive camera -compact and lightweight, but
    the Olympus C7070 is a much more sophisticated camera - it has a wider angle
    zoom, RAW image capability and a tilting LCD monitor.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    *Today is the last day for DPNow's monthly prize draw (win a copy of Adobe
    Photoshop CS2 this month) at: http://dpnow.com/1993.html

    *Visit the DPNow discussion forum at: http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    "Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote in message
    > You can buy a very inexpensive hot shoe adapter that adds a PC socket. The
    > C-7070's hot shoe is quite conventional in being backwards compatible with
    > non-dedicated flash units and accessories (like the PC socket add-on) as
    > well benefitting from Olympus' own dedicated flash system. If the infra
    > red slave system you describe is a simple non-dedicated device designed
    > for use on standard hot shoes, it should work fine on the 7070.
    >
    > The Casio Exilim P700 is an attractive camera -compact and lightweight,
    > but the Olympus C7070 is a much more sophisticated camera - it has a wider
    > angle zoom, RAW image capability and a tilting LCD monitor.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    > http://dpnow.com

    Thanks for the input. Yes, the slave is really just so that my studio
    strobes will fire. Any contraption would probably work. I was just wondering
    if their's was a proprietary thing.

    And yes, I will most likely go with the Olympus. I played around with one
    again this afternoon, and the swivel viewer is a really nice feature.

    thanks again

Flash Olympus Cameras