Intel G620 Bottleneck MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC

Solution
G

this is with a 7970:
Skyrim.png

as you can see the performance on a cpu intensive game like skyrim is about 60% of an overclocked 2500k. so lets look a a 7970 benchmark in the same game with different cards:
Skyrim_01.png

using the 73 fps and finding 60% 73*.6= 43.8 fps or round up to 44 fps.
that would put you in the 560ti level without a problem. now what i did isn't the most scientific method.

G

you can use it for all that and gaming. just know that it might only be as low as 40-50% load on the gpu while the G620 is running @ 100% while gaming.

EDIT: i am really interested how bad the bottleneck will be. please do some gaming and post the results.

kunus

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Really Thanks, what other cards do you recommend to match my CPU?

kunus

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks, I actually want to upgrade but not now, maybe in a few weeks. and I wanted to know if I would not have any problem with this card until then.

G

this is with a 7970:
Skyrim.png

as you can see the performance on a cpu intensive game like skyrim is about 60% of an overclocked 2500k. so lets look a a 7970 benchmark in the same game with different cards:
Skyrim_01.png

using the 73 fps and finding 60% 73*.6= 43.8 fps or round up to 44 fps.
that would put you in the 560ti level without a problem. now what i did isn't the most scientific method.

Solution

It would be a more appropriate balance between your CPU and GPU. I don't really understand how looniam came to that conclusion he did, its not really that simple. Hes also pulling benches ran in 2 different resolutions. But perhaps when I've had time to fully wake up and get some caffeine in my system I can give it more thought.

Even if his method works, he still comes up with a substantial bottleneck (30FPS), out of a potential 73FPS, thats something like a 40% CPU bottleneck, meaning theres 40 percent of potential the 6950 has that you'll never see with that CPU.

G

yes, you'll most likely find the 6870 is cheaper and if are going to play demanding games likes skyrim you might consider the 6850 ti play it safe. though personally i say bottlenecks be d4med and bet the better card if you upgrade the cpu.

G

i listened to the voices in my head :)

yeah there are a lot of variables involved not accounted for; also the different set ups may affect performance. but for "shooting from the hip", because of not having a pentium test system, i am sure any error is close enough not to be harmful in suggesting to the OP what card to get.

TRENDING THREADS