Sign in with
Your question

A replacement for the 9500gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2012 11:52:29 AM

My 9500gt overheats like crazy! 5 minutes of gameplay and the temperature reaches 115 C degrees!! and when idle, the temperature is in the 80s!!!

Whenever I play a game and the temperature reaches 115 the game greatly slows down till the temperature cools down a bit.. to 105... then the gpu reaches 115 again and the same cycle repeats itself making gaming impossible...

I've had this gpu for almost 3 years now and the problem existed shortly after I bought it but I just thought it was because this was a weak card, but I've only recently found out that the problem was that the card was overheating like crazy!!

I've tried cleaning the card from dust but that didn't help at all.

and now I'm thinking of replacing my card and getting a very cheap one that is equivalent or a little better than the 9500gt and that doesn't require me to upgrade my PSU or motherboard or anything..

What cards do you suggest ? And should I actually get the card or wait for a while till the cpu explodes in my face and i'm forced to upgrade my whole computer :na:  ?

Putting in consideration that I don't actually game that much.., the only graphically demanding game I have is Blur, and I am perfectly fine with having to lower the resolution to 1280x720 or so in order to be able to play it smoothly (even though the game runs at a low but playable framerate even at 1920x1080, it's just the slow downs that I've mentioned that make gaming impossible, forcing me to lower the resolution)

So do you think I should wait or not ?
And if not, can you suggest really really cheap cards ? (30$ ish)

Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have a 500watts PSU and a core 2 quad processor at 2.4ghz (Q6600 i think), and 4gbs of ram. Not sure about the motherboard .

More about : replacement 9500gt

a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 12:01:10 PM

you must have a budget of atleast $50 to be able get a playable experience in any game @ medium settings
for 30 $ i recommend this hd 6450
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i know its overbudget but anything lower than this would be a downgrade not an upgrade
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 2:01:53 PM

Could also be worth seeing if the fan and heatsink come off easily and maybe reapply some thermal paste. Is the rest of the case cooling ok? at least a fan pulling some warm air out. With those older hotter cards a bit of airflow going through is a good thing.

Smile...I'm still stuck with an old 7900GS lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 3:04:14 PM

jessterman21 said:
You're going to have to spend $60+ for any sort of upgrade. An HD 6450 is NOT an upgrade - it will perform about the same.

I recommend the HD 6570, but if you want to stay Nvidia, you'll get almost the same performance from a GT 440.

This is not correct I am afraid despite not being a major upgrade it is in fact a much better card all the way around including gaming by a reasonable amount (they are both terrible gaming cards but a 6450 512MB is better)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 3:30:04 PM

spentshells said:
This is not correct I am afraid despite not being a major upgrade it is in fact a much better card all the way around including gaming by a reasonable amount (they are both terrible gaming cards but a 6450 512MB is better)

Well, I agree it's a better card overall and a good replacement, but will the OP really notice any difference playing games? I doubt it. Maybe 5fps...
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:08:12 AM

Hello , It's me again. Sorry for the late reply, I have

decided to increase my budget, and now I am choosing

between the 7750 , 6770 and the 6670. I would prefer the

card which is a better value for money. I also know that

the 7750 consumes alot less power than the 6770 while

being a few frames slower (doesn't matter) So, I was

wondering if the lower power consumption thing will make

the 7750 the better choice and the more saving card on

the long run (Will it result in lower electricity bills

on the long run to help me get back those 20$ price

difference ?)

Is there another card that you guys would suggest ? Or

an equivalent Nvidia card ?

Oh, and I'm not sure if my power supply unit has that

6pin power connector cable, Can I use an adapter ? I

will write you all my computer specs and you guys can

tell me if the cards are completely compatible with my

system or if the cards would be bottle-necked:

CPU: Q6600 (Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz)

GPU: Currently 9500gt

Rams: 4GB in total, but I found this written:
(KVR800D2N6/2G) on the pack, and 2GB PC2 - 6400 CL6 240
- Pin DIMM) so I don't know the DDR :/ 

Motherboard: Gigabyte S-Series: GA-P31-ES3G

PSU model: Jumbo JB-500W P4
Other PSU stuff: AC Input 220/VAC 50HZ 3A

: Fuse Rating: F 5A 250VAC

DC +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
Output: 28A 40A 17A 0.5A 0.8A 3A
Max 500W

I know I'm asking for a lot of information but your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I'm also worried about DirectX 12, if it is coming out soon will it make the new GPU outdated ? I'm planning on an upgrade only 5 years from now or so.

Edit: I've just found the 7770 and price difference between it and the 7750 is only 20$, do you think the performance difference between the two is worth it ? But I will also need the 6-pin power connector which I think I don't have :/ (not sure)

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first
m
l
!