Sign in with
Your question

Help Black Screen gtx570

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2012 1:24:59 PM

When I plug in my gtx 570 in either pci express ports alls I get is a black screen.

The card's fan turns on and seems to work, but I get nothing on the screen.

If i take the card out, the system works perfectly fine and boots into windows.

I checked the bios to see if there is any inference with the 3570k's on-board graphics but the bios said that preference was given to the pcie slot.

Maybe I am justing missing or overlooking something?

My system is: asrock z77 extreme 4, i5 3570k, corsair tx750

More about : black screen gtx570

June 21, 2012 2:31:53 PM

Quote:
power supply, did you plug in the needed power adapters for the GTX 570, it requires two of them...
PCI-E 6-pin plugs..

also make sure you have the motherboard IGP disabled to assure the GPU in PCI-E slot is primary.

Yes, it is plugged in, and the PCI-E was set to primary unfortunately (I wish it was just changing that)

I switched back to the IGP and the card is plugged in and the system works; it is when I switch to the PCI-E slot that I get nothing.
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:39:38 PM

Haha yes; they are both plugged in. I have even tried different ones in case those were dead. There are two 6 pin power connectors right now in the back off the card.

The IGP is turned on now so the computer works.

I tried installing the drivers from the CD and it fails. Previously I had installed drivers from evga which installed, but the card still didn't work.
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 2:43:04 PM

should i disable the intel integrated graphics through my device manager
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:51:13 PM

Quote:
just to make sure we're clear, you have both power adapters plugged into the GTX 570.?
2 x 6-pin plugs for power.

Haha yes; they are both plugged in. I have even tried different ones in case those were dead. There are two 6 pin power connectors right now in the back off the card.

The IGP is turned on now so the computer works.

I tried installing the drivers from the CD and it fails. Previously I had installed drivers from evga which installed, but the card still didn't work
m
l
June 21, 2012 3:05:00 PM

Quote:
so we're working with the PSU or the card itself possibly...
hmm.

Yes, I am leaning toward the gpu, because the rest of the system works with the psu.

I looked in my device manager and the gtx570 was recognized, and it said that the device was working perfectly fne...little does my computer know that when the plug for the card is plugged into the gpu I only get a black screen.
m
l
June 21, 2012 3:42:48 PM

Yeah, but it is really old like five years old...still works in the old computer I can see if there is a slot for it in my new computer
m
l
June 21, 2012 5:16:48 PM

Quote:
take out the GTX 570 and try the older GPU and see if the unit works with it....

the older card is not a pci-e card its an agp and it doesn't hook up to the psu that's how old it is
m
l
June 21, 2012 5:24:18 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a bad PSU/motherboard.

AGP leaves alot to be desired.

You think it could be a psu/mobo prob instead of the gpu?

Windows recognizes that there is a card in the pci-e slot, but when i change preferences to prefer the pci-e slot I just get a black monitor.

Could it be the monitor?
m
l
June 21, 2012 5:30:57 PM

Quote:
Probably a bad PCI-E slot..

Can you do a nice clean picture of your PCI-E slot up-close?

Thanks.

I don't think I can gt a clean enugh picture that would really show the details.

But I do have two pci-e slots and neither one works with the gpu, though windows recognizes that there is a card there, and the card appears to have power with the fan running.
m
l
June 21, 2012 5:33:02 PM

Quote:
all part of troubleshooting...

I am going to try and take my card to one of my friends rigs and hook it into it. Hopefully that will solve something in the next couple of days.

I talke to the EVGA support and the only other option they gave besides trying it out on a different computer was to RMA it.
m
l
June 21, 2012 5:33:59 PM

Quote:
Might be time for an RMA..

What is your PSU brand and model?

It is a corsair tx750v2
m
l
!