Is it safe to build on the carpet?

Ry4n

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Well the title says it all, Will it be safe to build on on the carpet (standing). I do have a anti-static wrist strap with a UK ESD plug with it as well.

If the case is plugged in And grounded via the PSU and you are grounded via your wrist strap then you can't build up a charge, so yes.

Theoretically its better to do it at a table, on wood etc. but I've built a dozen or so in carpet just with it plugged in and touching the case to ground myself occasionally. Unless the humidity is very low its not much of an issue anyway unless you go touching pins for no reason

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Why building with the system plugged-in power in the first place?
Seems un-necessarily risky for both the components and yourself.

And I would rather build on a cotton blanket instead of a carpet - just so fibers won't get into the new case/motherboard.

Choosing a firm wooden/plastic table is the best choice imp.
You can pad it if you want, and then it's far more easy and comfortable to work around it. You can lay the case down, or put it standing, reach all the hard parts.

G

I have heard old men talk about being on the carpet in knee deep watered basements and never having a problem with static, but it's "recommended" in a general sense to be on the carpet without an Anti-Static strap, I suppose. I got all hard wood and never use a wrist strap, I just touch the case as I do think about it.

It should ALWAYS be plugged in or its not grounded. You plug it in and turn off the switch at the back which disconnects the hot line, so all that's connected is ground, which is connected to the case, which you connect your wrist strap too. Any charge gets drawn through to ground.

Realistically there is no risk even if the switch were on, the pins are recessed and there is no power through the lines till you turn it on via the board. Standard practice in a lab with actual sensative components is to connect your wrist strap to the ground line of a plugged in bench supply. That's why they have banana plugs on them

Yes that's fine. The strap will drain any charge build up to ground. Rubber soled shoes would also prevent you from picking up a charge from the carpet