My high end PC lags like hell!

G

I give up with my PC, It cost me around £800 to build, and, it just lags, a lot, Every game, lag lag lag, All my drivers are up to date. I recently done a virus scan and found nothing, ok, lets get to the fps I get in games, I benchmarked ArmaII and got 5 FPS! wtf! Even in the first Borderlands I only get around 30fps at the best of times, And I've already pre ordered Borderlands 2 so I would really love to get my lag issues fixed asap.
Here's my spec.
Nvidia GTX 570 1280mb
8GB DDR3 Kingston Ram
AMD 3ghz Quadcore CPU
Windows 7 PRO 64bit, fully legal
So, If anyone has any Ideas, PLEASE, let me know, I would be very very greatful.
Thanks in advance.

G

Yeah, I know, AMD, Should have got Intel blah blah blah, but I was on quite a low budget when I got the CPU and Motherboard, And I was thinking bottlenecking as well.

xogecko

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, I know, AMD, Should have got Intel blah blah blah, but I was on quite a low budget when I got the CPU and Motherboard, And I was thinking bottlenecking as well.

Only lag in games or CPU tasks as well?

Did you overclock the GPU in anyway with a program?

G

PSU G7Pro 750watt, and CPU is AMD Athlon II 640 X4 (sigh)

G

Lag only games, not Overclocking at all.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Your system is nice. I think AMD makes fine CPU's. It may be slowewr than an intel I, but it should by no means lag like hell. Check for viruses, and run a program like advanced system care. Use turbo mode and you might see a world of difference.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Do you know of anyone that has a quality psu that you can test the system with? A bad psu can cause alot of instability and other issues that you wouldn't think would be related. I would swap that out for a quality unit.

G

Sadly not D:

G

And how would I enable turbo mode? I have heard of it before but never worked out how to enable it.

G

Got the system last Christmas, Lagged since I got it, Posted numerous places, But I figured here I'd get more help. And I cleared my PC of dust 2 days ago.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Check your system resources in task manager, watch it for a minute to see where it averages at (shouldn't be much if you don't have anything running) leave it open, run a game, let it lag for a minute then close the game if the CPU/Ram usage doesn't max out you should be able to eliminate the CPU/Ram usage & it might have something to do with your GPU.

G

OK, I ran the Arma II Benchmark, I got a whole 7fps! And my Cpu usage was around 50-60% and Memory around 30%, So it's possibly my GPU?

G

Yes, GPU and motherboard latest drivers.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Yep, your GPU is the likely culprit. Is there fans on or around the GPU, try putting your hand over it (not on it) & see if you can feel heat coming off of it. If not your GPU might be bad. If you have Windows Vista or 7 you could check to see what the ratings are if you right click my computer > settings and check the ratings. If it's too low your GPU needs to be upgraded. Otherwise your GPU might be defective.

G

My GPU has 2 Fans on it, And the air coming out of it seems pretty cool... :/

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Why does no one ever ask this question, what resolution are you playing the games at, arma 2 is actually a very demanding game. I have it nearly maxed at 1920x1200 and i have to turn down settings with dual 580 sc evga cards and an i 2600k oc to 4.2

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Have you looked at your GPU clocks/usage? I remember when I had my GTX 460 the clocks got stuck at video settings (higher than 2D desktop clocks but lower than 3D game clocks) and everything was choppy till I fixed it.

G

I play on 1360x768. Getting a 24" monitor this Christmas.

G

Im not to sure what you mean, could you explain a little more? Like how to fix the clocks?

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Download MSI Afterburner and run it in the background.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Start up a game and play it for a few minutes, then exit and look at GPU utilization on the graph in Afterburner, and also check the core clock. If the core didn't hit at least 732MHz, then that's your problem right there. If that is what's bugging you could then simply change the core by a few MHz in Afterburner and it should clock up to 3D settings.

G

Sorry, I got the name a bit wrong, Here's a link anyways http://www.maplin.co.uk/750w-g7-extreme-modular-atx-psu-517509