Sign in with
Your question

My high end PC lags like hell!

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 12:44:03 PM

I give up with my PC, It cost me around £800 to build, and, it just lags, a lot, Every game, lag lag lag, All my drivers are up to date. I recently done a virus scan and found nothing, ok, lets get to the fps I get in games, I benchmarked ArmaII and got 5 FPS! wtf! Even in the first Borderlands I only get around 30fps at the best of times, And I've already pre ordered Borderlands 2 so I would really love to get my lag issues fixed asap.
Here's my spec.
Nvidia GTX 570 1280mb
8GB DDR3 Kingston Ram
AMD 3ghz Quadcore CPU
Windows 7 PRO 64bit, fully legal
So, If anyone has any Ideas, PLEASE, let me know, I would be very very greatful.
Thanks in advance.

More about : high end lags hell

August 11, 2012 12:50:44 PM

Amd, poo poo poo.
Could be a bottleneck?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 12:51:58 PM

xogecko said:
Amd, poo poo poo.
Could be a bottleneck?

Yeah, I know, AMD, Should have got Intel blah blah blah, but I was on quite a low budget when I got the CPU and Motherboard, And I was thinking bottlenecking as well.
Related resources
August 11, 2012 1:00:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, AMD, Should have got Intel blah blah blah, but I was on quite a low budget when I got the CPU and Motherboard, And I was thinking bottlenecking as well.

Only lag in games or CPU tasks as well?

Did you overclock the GPU in anyway with a program?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 1:02:38 PM

Could you list more detailed specs, the list you gave is very vague and does not include the psu. Also what quad core cpu?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 6:24:22 PM

zooted said:
Could you list more detailed specs, the list you gave is very vague and does not include the psu. Also what quad core cpu?

PSU G7Pro 750watt, and CPU is AMD Athlon II 640 X4 (sigh)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 6:26:31 PM

xogecko said:
Only lag in games or CPU tasks as well?

Did you overclock the GPU in anyway with a program?

Lag only games, not Overclocking at all.
August 11, 2012 6:51:10 PM

Just how old is this system and was the lagging always present? Sometimes dust in a system can cause lag, how are your temp readings?
August 11, 2012 6:53:40 PM

Your system is nice. I think AMD makes fine CPU's. It may be slowewr than an intel I, but it should by no means lag like hell. Check for viruses, and run a program like advanced system care. Use turbo mode and you might see a world of difference.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:03:21 PM

Do you know of anyone that has a quality psu that you can test the system with? A bad psu can cause alot of instability and other issues that you wouldn't think would be related. I would swap that out for a quality unit.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:17:16 PM

zooted said:
Do you know of anyone that has a quality psu that you can test the system with? A bad psu can cause alot of instability and other issues that you wouldn't think would be related. I would swap that out for a quality unit.

Sadly not D:
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:18:06 PM

thedeathclox said:
Your system is nice. I think AMD makes fine CPU's. It may be slowewr than an intel I, but it should by no means lag like hell. Check for viruses, and run a program like advanced system care. Use turbo mode and you might see a world of difference.

And how would I enable turbo mode? I have heard of it before but never worked out how to enable it.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:19:26 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Just how old is this system and was the lagging always present? Sometimes dust in a system can cause lag, how are your temp readings?

Got the system last Christmas, Lagged since I got it, Posted numerous places, But I figured here I'd get more help. And I cleared my PC of dust 2 days ago.
August 11, 2012 7:31:00 PM

Check your system resources in task manager, watch it for a minute to see where it averages at (shouldn't be much if you don't have anything running) leave it open, run a game, let it lag for a minute then close the game if the CPU/Ram usage doesn't max out you should be able to eliminate the CPU/Ram usage & it might have something to do with your GPU.
August 11, 2012 7:38:07 PM

Also check to make sure your GPU & Motherboard has the latest drivers.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:52:43 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Check your system resources in task manager, watch it for a minute to see where it averages at (shouldn't be much if you don't have anything running) leave it open, run a game, let it lag for a minute then close the game if the CPU/Ram usage doesn't max out you should be able to eliminate the CPU/Ram usage & it might have something to do with your GPU.

OK, I ran the Arma II Benchmark, I got a whole 7fps! And my Cpu usage was around 50-60% and Memory around 30%, So it's possibly my GPU?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 7:54:59 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Also check to make sure your GPU & Motherboard has the latest drivers.

Yes, GPU and motherboard latest drivers.
August 11, 2012 8:11:07 PM

Yep, your GPU is the likely culprit. Is there fans on or around the GPU, try putting your hand over it (not on it) & see if you can feel heat coming off of it. If not your GPU might be bad. If you have Windows Vista or 7 you could check to see what the ratings are if you right click my computer > settings and check the ratings. If it's too low your GPU needs to be upgraded. Otherwise your GPU might be defective.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:20:52 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Yep, your GPU is the likely culprit. Is there fans on or around the GPU, try putting your hand over it (not on it) & see if you can feel heat coming off of it. If not your GPU might be bad. If you have Windows Vista or 7 you could check to see what the ratings are if you right click my computer > settings and check the ratings. If it's too low your GPU needs to be upgraded. Otherwise your GPU might be defective.

My GPU has 2 Fans on it, And the air coming out of it seems pretty cool... :/ 
August 11, 2012 8:29:44 PM

Why does no one ever ask this question, what resolution are you playing the games at, arma 2 is actually a very demanding game. I have it nearly maxed at 1920x1200 and i have to turn down settings with dual 580 sc evga cards and an i 2600k oc to 4.2
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:30:22 PM

Have you looked at your GPU clocks/usage? I remember when I had my GTX 460 the clocks got stuck at video settings (higher than 2D desktop clocks but lower than 3D game clocks) and everything was choppy till I fixed it.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:33:38 PM

vegettonox said:
Why does no one ever ask this question, what resolution are you playing the games at, arma 2 is actually a very demanding game. I have it nearly maxed at 1920x1200 and i have to turn down settings with dual 580 sc evga cards and an i 2600k oc to 4.2

I play on 1360x768. Getting a 24" monitor this Christmas.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:37:52 PM

cuecuemore said:
Have you looked at your GPU clocks/usage? I remember when I had my GTX 460 the clocks got stuck at video settings (higher than 2D desktop clocks but lower than 3D game clocks) and everything was choppy till I fixed it.

Im not to sure what you mean, could you explain a little more? Like how to fix the clocks?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:42:13 PM

Download MSI Afterburner and run it in the background.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Start up a game and play it for a few minutes, then exit and look at GPU utilization on the graph in Afterburner, and also check the core clock. If the core didn't hit at least 732MHz, then that's your problem right there. If that is what's bugging you could then simply change the core by a few MHz in Afterburner and it should clock up to 3D settings.
August 11, 2012 8:45:57 PM

I can't find any info on your PSU. Out of spec voltage can cause strange issues in a PC. "Bargain" no-name PSUs are usually ticking time-bombs as well. Not you mention, for your setup, you shouldn't consider anything over 550 watts. At full CPU and GPU load, you would be hard pressed to break 350 watts.

Can you find a link to the manufacturer's page or a link to the website you purchased the PSU from? If you got it out of the back of a guy's car selling them at a gas station, you should probably replace the PSU now.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 8:57:25 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I can't find any info on your PSU. Out of spec voltage can cause strange issues in a PC. "Bargain" no-name PSUs are usually ticking time-bombs as well. Not you mention, for your setup, you shouldn't consider anything over 550 watts. At full CPU and GPU load, you would be hard pressed to break 350 watts.

Can you find a link to the manufacturer's page or a link to the website you purchased the PSU from? If you got it out of the back of a guy's car selling them at a gas station, you should probably replace the PSU now.

Sorry, I got the name a bit wrong, Here's a link anyways http://www.maplin.co.uk/750w-g7-extreme-modular-atx-psu...
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 9:12:16 PM

check the mb vendor web page..see if your mb bios is up to date.use cpu-z and see what your ram speed and timing are set at.
the spd tab in cpu-z will show you the rated speed the ram can run at. see that your running your ram at it max speed.
use gpu-z and check that the mb and video card are read right. you want to make sure the pci bus speed is pci2.0@16x speed if there and issue there your going to lose speed between the video card and motherboard.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 9:19:49 PM

smorizio said:
check the mb vendor web page..see if your mb bios is up to date.use cpu-z and see what your ram speed and timing are set at.
the spd tab in cpu-z will show you the rated speed the ram can run at. see that your running your ram at it max speed.
use gpu-z and check that the mb and video card are read right. you want to make sure the pci bus speed is pci2.0@16x speed if there and issue there your going to lose speed between the video card and motherboard.

It says. Max Bandwith:p C3 - 10700 (667MHZ) on both sticks, is that right?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 10:06:05 PM

run cpu-z look under the spd tab. it read the ram spd info. most ram will have 3 or 4 lines..last line most time will say xmp.
on an amd mb you have to set the ram speed up by hand to use the xmp profile. also what was the speed of the ram you bought...(1066/1300/1600??). right now your system running at 1333 speed. (667*2) also what the make of your mb??
August 11, 2012 10:23:54 PM

To enable turbo, go to advanced, then turbo mode and click the blue circle. It disables many u7needed services and frees up a bunch of ram and CPU usage and will focus your cpu on whatever is demanding it the most, for example, arma 2. If its demanding a lot of CPU load, ASC will make that program the CPU's first priority.
August 11, 2012 10:36:23 PM

You might have your video card in the wrong slot. You have to plug the 570 into a PCI-E 2.0 x16 or else you wont get the maximum power from the card. The rest of the hardware seems fine, I have the same cpu and it plays every game for me fine.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 11:05:06 AM

menteric said:
You might have your video card in the wrong slot. You have to plug the 570 into a PCI-E 2.0 x16 or else you wont get the maximum power from the card. The rest of the hardware seems fine, I have the same cpu and it plays every game for me fine.

GPU is in the right slot, The other PCI-E slot is occupied by a Wireless network card.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 11:08:45 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Okay, I can confirm the G7 750w extreme modular is, in fact, junk. Get rid of it now.

Where did you find this out? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curios.
August 12, 2012 2:33:57 PM

Quote:
Where did you find this out? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curios.

No manufacturer information to be found anywhere. From the half dozen product pages I found at different UK merchants:
-No ATX version listed anywhere
-This is not an active PFC power supply
-This PSU is not 80 plus certified (Can't find "G7" on the 80plus office website either)
-No warranty information

I would love to find a professional review on a G7 PSU. But, due to the scarcity of both information and this "brand" of PSU in general, I doubt there is one out there. Without any information to say that this PSU conforms to any standards, I would consider that PSU junk and potentially dangerous.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 3:27:13 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
No manufacturer information to be found anywhere. From the half dozen product pages I found at different UK merchants:
-No ATX version listed anywhere
-This is not an active PFC power supply
-This PSU is not 80 plus certified (Can't find "G7" on the 80plus office website either)
-No warranty information

I would love to find a professional review on a G7 PSU. But, due to the scarcity of both information and this "brand" of PSU in general, I doubt there is one out there. Without any information to say that this PSU conforms to any standards, I would consider that PSU junk and potentially dangerous.

Ok, I'll try testing the PSU from my PC downstairs, I tink it's 680watts, I don't know what make it is though. I'll report back with results when I can.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 7:14:55 PM

Just do your self a favor and always get a psu from a reliable, reputable brand. Look for one from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, PC power & Cooling and Silverstone. There are other brands that make decent products but always refer to good reviews of the products from somewhere like JonnyGuru. A bad unit will not only cause instability, but will also take out components when they blow.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2012 2:18:55 PM

zooted said:
Just do your self a favor and always get a psu from a reliable, reputable brand. Look for one from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, PC power & Cooling and Silverstone. There are other brands that make decent products but always refer to good reviews of the products from somewhere like JonnyGuru. A bad unit will not only cause instability, but will also take out components when they blow.

Will do, I was already looking at this PSU and It's also a pretty good price http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/tx-series-... What do you think? It's bronze 80+ Certified.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2012 8:29:16 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Where are you planning on purchasing from? There are better PSUs than that one for cheaper.

Probably ebay.
August 14, 2012 1:27:35 AM

Quote:
Probably ebay.

Really....? Are you planning on buying new or used?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 10:28:46 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Really....? Are you planning on buying new or used?

New, I always buy PC parts new. Never ever ever used.
August 14, 2012 2:13:45 PM

Why not just buy it from amazon or Newegg then?
August 12, 2013 8:42:35 PM

Why don't you look into Overclocking the cpu ? I am not to sure if you can with this cpu, but if you can it will help out quite a bit
September 5, 2013 7:48:50 AM

Try remove Flash Player Plugin and try games!!
September 5, 2013 1:31:05 PM

Goto windows device manager. Open all the drop down boxes. Do any have a question mark, red x, or yellow exclamation on any entry?

If so you may not have the correct driver or there is a device conflict. E. G., your wireless card may be having a conflict with your GPU.

Also, you can try removing your wireless card then playing a game or whatever lags to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then its probably not a conflict.
!