Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 965 or AMD Phenom II X6 1045T

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2012 2:04:07 AM

Basically I'm left with to options, either the AMD Phenom II X4 965 or AMD Phenom II X6 1045T

Both are rated at 95W, while my motherboard (A770E3) can handle up to 125W TDP. I'm running off a Cooler Master PSU rated at 500 Watts, and my current Video Card is a Geforce 560 SE.

Current Rig:
AMD Athlon II 250 OC'ed to 3.3Ghz(Mild OC) and my Heatsink is custom made and I know it could handle both processors just fine, and probably under 45c at 100% load, so heat is no issue.

500 Watt Cooler Master PSU(Don't remember specifically)

Geforce 560 SE(OCed to almost match a stock Geforce 560 non-TI)

8 Gigs of PNY DDR3 1333 Ram(I know :p )

Toshiba 500Gb Toshiba HArd Drive.

Anyways I'm a bit of a Gamer and currently play a bunch of modern games.(Skyrim, GTA4, Planetside 2, Shogun Total War 2, Just Cause 2, Battlefield 3, and a few older Source Games *Ahem* TF2)

Which would I benefit from more the Phenom 965 at 4 cores or Phenom 1045T at six cores at a slower Frequency. I know that I'll probably benefit more from the higher clocked Quad Core Phenom but can't shrug the fact of a Six Core in my system. I will be Overclocking, at least slightly, so keep that in mind.

Both are relatively cheap and at TigerDirect.com
The Phenom II 965 is 75$ while the Phenom II 1045T is 99$

And I'm planning on selling my current AMD Athlon II 250 on Ebay for around 25-30$ So I get a little return.

I'm torn on both :??:  and I won't be upgrading my CPU at least for another two years. And by that time comes I'll be doing away with everything in my System.

So which would you go for considering my situation, that I'll be OC'ing and my Graphics Card.

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 27, 2012 2:42:34 AM

worthrinz said:
Basically I'm left with to options, either the AMD Phenom II X4 965 or AMD Phenom II X6 1045T

Both are rated at 95W, while my motherboard (A770E3) can handle up to 125W TDP. I'm running off a Cooler Master PSU rated at 500 Watts, and my current Video Card is a Geforce 560 SE.

Current Rig:
AMD Athlon II 250 OC'ed to 3.3Ghz(Mild OC) and my Heatsink is custom made and I know it could handle both processors just fine, and probably under 45c at 100% load, so heat is no issue.

500 Watt Cooler Master PSU(Don't remember specifically)

Geforce 560 SE(OCed to almost match a stock Geforce 560 non-TI)

8 Gigs of PNY DDR3 1333 Ram(I know :p )

Toshiba 500Gb Toshiba HArd Drive.

Anyways I'm a bit of a Gamer and currently play a bunch of modern games.(Skyrim, GTA4, Planetside 2, Shogun Total War 2, Just Cause 2, Battlefield 3, and a few older Source Games *Ahem* TF2)

Which would I benefit from more the Phenom 965 at 4 cores or Phenom 1045T at six cores at a slower Frequency. I know that I'll probably benefit more from the higher clocked Quad Core Phenom but can't shrug the fact of a Six Core in my system. I will be Overclocking, at least slightly, so keep that in mind.

Both are relatively cheap and at TigerDirect.com
The Phenom II 965 is 75$ while the Phenom II 1045T is 99$

And I'm planning on selling my current AMD Athlon II 250 on Ebay for around 25-30$ So I get a little return.

I'm torn on both :??:  and I won't be upgrading my CPU at least for another two years. And by that time comes I'll be doing away with everything in my System.

So which would you go for considering my situation, that I'll be OC'ing and my Graphics Card.

I would get the 965. Most games still only use two or three cores so a quad core would be fine. If all you are doing is playing games there really is no point in getting a six core CPU since most games won't even make use of six cores. Get the Phenom II 965 and overclock it.
a c 163 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 27, 2012 5:53:31 AM

the six core can be overclocked not easily nor far but games like BF3 with the nicely paired gpu will max out the cpu. My friends 1090t with a 670 gtx will use almost all the cpu, but the 965 BE with a overclock is cheaper and obviously can be OC'd higher and will prob be the best choice, but again some x6 non BE can get pretty close to 4.0Ghz lol

Personally I'd choose the x6 as well 6 cores is a win no matter the overclocking ability lol
December 31, 2012 6:47:28 PM

Best answer selected by WorthRinz.
!