Not open for further replies.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CM 690 II Advanced case
Asus P8Z77-V LE
Corsair H55
I5-3750K

Ok, haven't built anything since the early 90's so bare with me if this sounds noobish. My board has 4 fan connectors, 2 4-pin chassy, 1 4-pin CPU and 1 3-pin power. All of the z77 boards I looked at had a somewhat similar layout with 4-pin connectors. My question is - why would CM build a case with 3 stock fans that are all 3 pin? Will my board still control them through the Asus fan+ software? Or am I gonna have to replace the stock fans with 4-pin pwm's or spring for a fan controller in order to tone down the noise?
I was thinking - radiator fan on CPU connector, pump on 12v Molex, the others on cha_fan 1 and 2

Solution
Your 3-wire case fans will work fine plugged into the 4-pin headers on the Asus board. Instead of being controlled by Pulse Width Modulation, the BIOS will control the speed by varying the voltage. And, yes, you can use the PWR FAN header for a case fan in case you were wondering.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your 3-wire case fans will work fine plugged into the 4-pin headers on the Asus board. Instead of being controlled by Pulse Width Modulation, the BIOS will control the speed by varying the voltage. And, yes, you can use the PWR FAN header for a case fan in case you were wondering.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nice, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the answer. Now, if someone could clarify something for me, I've been wearing the battery on this phone out lookin for an answer... So far everything I've seen from posts says that the CPU_fan needs to be a pwm or funky things happen in the bios. The fan supplied by corsair on my H55 is just a 3 pin. Is this going to be ok? Or should I spring for a 120mm pwm anyways and push-pull the radiator

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I'm not sure what you heard about using a 3 pin fan on the 4-pin CPU FAN header. The only issue I can think of would be that the fan cannot be PWM controlled for speed. Depending on your motherboard, it may or may not allow the fan's speed to be controlled by voltage instead. Perhaps The cooler is designed to need the fan running at full speed anyway? Could that be why the fan is only a 3-pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.