Sign in with
Your question

Forwarding Network Printer via RDP (net use help)

Last response: in Networking
August 13, 2011 3:24:10 AM

i'm having a real issue getting a network Brother MFC-J615W multifunction printer to forward through RDP (using net use) to a windows XP VM from a Vista desktop.

So far, i've done all i know to do to get the printer forwarded:

I've shared the original printer in vista as "brother1"

created new printer in vista using LPT2, called it "remote"

opened a cmd prompt, typed in "net use lpt2: \\vistapcname\brother1 /persistent:yes"
received a "successful" reply

connected to the XP VM thru RDP and see all the other printers available on the Vista desktop

(printer sharing *is* enabled in the RDP connection profile)
(i've also installed the printer drivers on the Win2008 server and the XP VM)

any ideas?
August 20, 2011 1:17:56 AM

bongoyoyo said:
Can I rephrase your issue?

Basically, you're trying to setup a printer as a network printer, share it and then add this printer into your XP VM which is running on your Vista desktop, correct?

I have a vista desktop with a networked (tcp/ip based) printer at a home location. the vista desktop connects to a XP VM at a remote location.

i'm having problems getting printer redirection to work so the vista desktop can print things from the XP VM to the home printer.
m
l
August 27, 2011 1:45:02 AM

bongoyoyo said:
Open Remote Desktop Connection, go to options > Local resouces > Local Devices & resources > tick the check box for printer. That is if you are using RDC version 6.1.

The printer should be visible under Devices and Printers (Should say Printer Name (redirected) )

i've already done that long ago.
m
l
!