3570k or 2500k?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
OK so I am upgrading my current system to the

Z77-Extreme6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295
^
I will be overclocking everything besides ram as much as possible so if there is any other mobo that is better in the same price range more or less then ill take a look at it

and between the 3570k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&Tpk=2500k

I am gaming mostly and maybe a little video editing though not much

my current system that i am upgrading

MY COMPUTER
Case
HAF 912
PSU
850W corsair enthusiast series
GPU
GTX 670 MSI lighting edition(1241[in game using msi afterburner counter]/3500)
CPU
FX-8120(4.7Ghz)
MOBO
Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3
RAM
2x4GB 1333mhz
DVD Driver
Regular drive
HDD
Caviar Black 1TB
Heatsink
Hyper212+

what should i get? [:panicmaster85:3]

There really isn't going to be that much of a difference in real world performance. The main difference is the Ivy Bridges I7 is a smaller package (22nm's instead of 32nm's) is slightly faster and has better integrated gaphics. The Ivy Bridges runs a little hotter than Sandy Bridges and doesn't overclock as high as the I5 howerever since it is slightly faster it makes up the difference. It's really up to you.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
As I tell everyone, while Ivy Bridge is newer, more power efficient, and offers PCI-e 3.0, the 2500K overclocks a lot better and if you are an overclocker, you should put your money towards that.

^ basically the IB produces more heat when oc'd but needs less of an oc to compare to the oc'd sb, like something of 4.3Ghz IB same as 4.6Ghz SB or something. But intel really messed up when using thermal paste instead of solder on the cpu

The 3570k, while it is true that once you start adding voltage its temps do shoot up faster than Sandy, each clock is worth more on Ivy. So unless your after a clock-speed number and not performance, Ivy is the better option.

Besides, I think that you'l be limited by your heatsink before Ivy's voltage problems. Would upgrade that to a Noctua NH-D14, a H100i or even better a custom water loop before you try and clock everything as high as they will go.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

yeah i see what you mean but i cant spend any more than what i already have so I want something that runs quicker and can overclock good, it does not have to be amazing because the 8120 can go as far as you want and becuase im on a limited budget i cant just go out and buy an amazing water loop so the hyper 212 is what i have to stick with though from 3.1ghz to 4.7 im at a max of i think 60c

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

is the 3570k good as well? becuase its the exact same price as the 2500k so if it is lets say 5% faster at not maxed oc then thats just right for me

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

The 3570K can get a pretty good overclock, but I think most people can only max out at 4.7GHz, while some 2500K users can max out at 5GHz, which causes equivalent/slighty better performance to a 3570K.

I don't recall battlefield 3 being a particularly CPU sensitive game. You may wish to double check that before throwing down $300+.

Its also worth noting that the FX 8320 should be drop in replacement for your board and would provide a substantial improvement in performance without needing to spend quite as much.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
well i need a new motherboard anyways because the one i have right now is not really meant for ovreclocking... im getting 30-50 fps in bf3 which is catastrophic... I get terrible fps everywhere else too i read once someone having the exact same probelm he got a 3570k and boom the probelm dissapereared

nore: I have checked this over and over again in fact i play with teh msi overlay reaing my gpu usage and temp as well as its core clock and mem usage

Lots of people on the internet don't know what they are doing. A poster is getting poor frame rates. He decides the cpu is the problem, throws $400 at a new cpu and MB and in the process of pulling the parts, reinstalling OS and drivers, incidentally fix whatever the real problem was. Then claims that he was right all along, when it had nothing to do with the processor. Then you read it and think, "that's my problem too!".

Problem is that game isn't all that cpu sensitive. I sense something else is going on there. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews I have seen didn't show much of a gap.

Oddly enough, the whole process of changing out the board and the PSU will likely fix whatever the issue really is. But your description of the problem just doesn't sound like cpu to be. Not at this juncture at least. But its your money.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
yes i agree with you with the drivers etc and all of this but the evidence is just really pointing toward the cpu as the problem i mean think about it when ever my frames in anygame drop below 40 i look up and i see the gpu usage at like i dont know 60-90% which then indicates it is a cpu bottleneck or a memory bottleneck(which we all know it is not) I have cleaned my drivers completely time and time agian and reinstalled the newest versions older versions time and time again and it never fixes the problem so i mean sure it could vary well be a different problem but I mean I have wanted an intel cpu just because i know that the 8120 is not the fastest nor most powerfull cpu in the world and my motherboard is not suited for the crazy overclocks i have on it so i decided that trouble shooting my problem by getting what i think i need(want) then im willing to put as much money time and effort as is needed