Is this PC enough for Gaming and Animation

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hello,

MyLaptop can normally run new games with medium graphics. (smoothly)
But, when I render animations using Adobe Aftereffects it takes many hours.
(for 2:30 minutes animation, this sh*t taking about 2-3 hours)
So, I'm going to build a PC.

Expecting PC specifications are
Intel Core i7 3.5GHz - 3770K - 8MB Processor
Motherboard - Intel DH67CL
RAM - 4 x 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAMs
VGA - MSI - GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB DDR5 - 192-bit
Casing - Cooler Master Elite 430
Power Supply - Cooler Master RS500 - 500W
SSD - ADATA 60GB S510
HDD - Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
DVD-RW - Asus 24x Black

So, I want to know
1. All these components match with each other?
2. Do you have any suggestions/alternatives for motherboard,VGA and Processor?
3. Does this motherboard will be able to handle the processor well?
(because processor is a latest processor)
5. What is the importance of using a SSD and What happens if I don't use a SSD?
6. Does 500W powersupply enough for the VGA?
7. Is it better if I use water cooling system?
8. What are the advantages of WaterCooling system?
9. Will this PC faster at least 2x when comparing with my laptop?

Thats it. Please answer all 9 questions.
And please explain what you know.

Thanks for all good answers.

Duminda.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Its not your pc; after effects is a b*tch when it comes to rendering. Ive rendered long videos and short videos on after effects and sony vegas and it just takes a long damn time. Upgrading is pointless for this; I would just get some patience. :p All those layers take lots of time to compress into a single track.

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
So, do you think if i build this PC, the rendering time will be the same?
My existing laptop is a core i7 640M 2.8GHz and 8GB RAM with GT420M GPU.
But, I'm gong to use intel core i7 3rd generation processor and 16GB RAM with GTX550ti for the PC.
It will not be faster as I think?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
no, rendering will not be the same.
The previous point is that it's not going to immediately make your 2hour render take 20seconds.
Just look up a processing benchmarks for each one. Then once you have the numbers, it will just be math.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7+640M+%40+2.80GHz

Here the 640m gets 4066 points
The 3770k gets about 10,000 points

So your expectation should be tasks like your renders should be in the range of about twice as fast. So if it was taking 2hours, still going to take 1hour.

In the perspective of anything else, double is a huge change in any linear benchmark. But for technology most people want exponential changes to change hours to minutes or seconds.
So don't expect to see that kind of improvement (unless there is some upgrade in the software).
Your game play should exponentially go up though, if you spend enough for the video card.

For your other questions, I suggest you read through the forum and look at any of the $1500 builds.

Motherboard:
most peopel will recommend you get a z77 mobo, go look at the other builds

SSD:
most people will recommend you get at least a 128gb SSD. SSD makes your Disk faster. This can make your computer "faster" in the sense that often times many tasks are bottlenecked by waiting for your disk. Most people will see like your computer will bootup now in 10seconds, versus a minute or more on a HDD>
go look at the other builds

Watercooling:
most people do this to show off. Based on the questions you have already asked, I have evaluated your level of expertise, and Watercooling is something you probably don't need to worry about.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012

What he said. :)

Find some other RAM. All Kingston RAM runs at 1.65v, which will damage your Intel CPU. You need something that runs at 1.5v or less

Your questions.
All the components will work, but they are not very optimized for each other. Get a Z77 motherboard for that Ivy Bridge processor.

2. A Z77 motherboard would be best, the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 is the most recommended board. Depending on what level you will be gaming on, you may want a bigger GPU, as the 550Ti is quite old now and wasn't anything special then. The processor is good.

No, but a Z77 board should.

You skipped number four!

SSD's are like HDD's but work so much faster. Most people buy a small SSD (128GB) to put the OS and programs on, then a HDD for mass storage. So you get the speed of an SSD in general usage and the massive capacity of a HDD.

I think 500W will be enough, though you will be cutting it fine. a 600W or 650W unit would be better.

Only if you have pretty extreme overclocks, overly care about the aesthetics or like to brag.

The advantages of custom water cooling is that it will your system cooler than any air cooler will, and looks awesome if you do it right. Pre built loops theres not much benefit other than the looks and better flexibility with RAM clearance.

Not entirely sure, but if Ratseng's research is correct, in a word, yes.

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Thank you very much "manofchalk"
I'm buying this PC within next 3 days.
I decided to buy a z77
And final cost will Rs.175,000 in My currency.
It means approximately $1346 in USD.
Pretty enough.. :)

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I agree with manofchalk about the RAM.

Also Ivy Bridge natively supports DDR3-1600MHz.

Check with your motherboard to see what speeds it supports and you could possibly buy faster RAM.

EDIT: If you can order from Newegg.com I would suggest this ram kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 the promo code ends today on the 13th. But I see your from India so I'm not entirely sure if you can order from there :(

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Should I buy Intel Core i7-3770 processor or 3770K processor?
I compared them at cpubenchmark.net
3770K has 10,372 score
and 3770 got 10359.
very little different. But, 3770K processor is more expensive. about $40 than 3770..
What can I do? Any suggestions?

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hell if you recommend the sabertooth to him you might as well get the unlocked 3770k so it can reap the full benefits of overclocking.

Just remember if you do plan on buying the unlock i7-3770k. Pick yourself up an aftermarket cooler such as the cooler master hyper 212 evo. If not buying the K the stock cooler should suffice.

pasanwc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
I think u can get a GT 560ti instead...look at this if u want http://online.barclays.lk/bc/itemdesc.asp?ic=30404&eq=&Tp=

I'm also from SL so it's too bad that we can't buy from newegg still :(
And Gskill is so much better...So buy a pair of Gskill ripjaws with heatsinks (available at Techzone)

And fr the cooling get a good CPU cooler but as I guess messing with a water cooling system is not better idea for the money and time as well...so buy a good branded cooler instead....and good luck

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Sure.. I already ckecked barclays' website and hope to buy MSI GT560i.
And G-Skill RAMs from TECHZONE..
Is there any good shops at Unity Plaza? (better warranty service)
Because, All shops at unity plaza not giving 1 to 1 change warranty for motherboards.
I bought many motherboards before from many shops and If any motherboard got problem, They are giving an used repaired m.b. as warranty service. Not a brandnew one which already a mess