Sign in with
Your question

Good Case that keeps dust out?

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2012 3:40:05 AM

I have the CM HAF 932 Full Tower (from 2 years ago). Last year when I took out some parts, there was so much dust in there, i needed a cleaning lady to live in the case. The huge fans were covered in it. I couldn't believe it. I cleaned inside while I was replacing the CPU. Recently it seems dust yet again declared war on me.

Are there any cases with dust filters but still have the great air flow of this CM case? The dust is a nightmare but I can't get over how freaken cold it's inside the case and I remember when I left my hot tea near my case and within minutes, I had iced tea! Also, the amount of space inside.

Great case like the HAF 932 (must be full tower), dust filters, side glass panel, and easy panel opening (what a pain to put the side panel back on...lining it up; I see some that unlatch and stay on but open like a door)?

Is this too much of a PERFECT case that doesn't exist?

What's inside my present case:

Asus z68 pro board (malfunctioning and being replaced with a z77 MSI mPower board) paired with a 3770k
Phoebus sound card (PCIe x1)
MSI PE/OC 570 Twin Frozr IV
Bottom mounted Corsair modular HX850 PSU
Hyper 212+ Heatsink/Fan to be replaced with the EVO
2x8GB Ballistix Tactical tracers (blue lights)
128GB Samsung SSD 830 (love it!)
500GB WD Sata III Velociraptor
300GB WD Sata II Velociraptor (backup)

More about : good case dust

a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2012 4:11:52 AM

You could take a look at the Cooler Master Storm Stryker or Trooper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Storm Stryker Looks great like the HAF 932 but the airflow is not that good because of the window you don't have side ventilation like the Storm Trooper and the only potential intakes are in the side of the case for the HDD and 1 140 mm fan in the bottom, but includes dust filters in the 5.25 inch slots and also in every intake of the case so no dust problem as long you clean them periodically.

Here's some cases with some of the specifications you talked about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Edit: I've been watching a review of the Storm Trooper and it comes with 2 120 mm fan mounts and they're dust filtered with a mesh, so you'll have no problems with cooling or dust with this case.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 4:33:46 AM

The C70 is listed as a Mid tower by the way, but it's practically the size of a Full tower, It has latches for the panels, handles on the top for carrying (great for me because I move it to and from my dorm in college), dust filters, a window, and lots of space for ventilation.
m
l
December 27, 2012 6:40:30 PM

jrayx said:
You could take a look at the Cooler Master Storm Stryker or Trooper:

The Storm Stryker Looks great like the HAF 932 but the airflow is not that good because of the window you don't have side ventilation like the Storm Trooper and the only potential intakes are in the side of the case for the HDD and 1 140 mm fan in the bottom, but includes dust filters in the 5.25 inch slots and also in every intake of the case so no dust problem as long you clean them periodically.

Here's some cases with some of the specifications you talked about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Edit: I've been watching a review of the Storm Trooper and it comes with 2 120 mm fan mounts and they're dust filtered with a mesh, so you'll have no problems with cooling or dust with this case.

Thanks Jrayx and trumpeter199. I looked at all 3. The CMs look nice. Im wondering if I loose any cooling since I see no fan on the side panel. The CM Stryker and Trooper look nice. Im thinking the HAF is in a class in itself. If only they added dust filters in the new HAF model. Seems like they are the only one with 3- 230mm fans.

I really dont want to replace the HAF but I swear I can make dust balls and throw them. PLus, when I start to clean the case (to keep the fans from failing), I start sneezing; that's how much dust accumulates no matter how many days in a row I clean. Weird thing is my desk, monitor and speaker console...hardly any dust! I swear the HAF is a dust magnet.

Trumpeter199, yeah, I must find a full tower. Once I bought a full tower, I can't go back! :)  I did check out the case you recommended. Looks good.
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:00:55 PM

They sell nice case filters on ebay cheap if you want to keep your current case, I have that problem too I used foam filters made for small ceramic heaters and put them over all openings without fans and got a couple of the previously mentioned ebay filters for the fans.they screw on inside or outside your case directly to the fan. Only other choice I had was to clean the house (like that's goona happen)LoL
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:23:26 PM

papablista said:
They sell nice case filters on ebay cheap if you want to keep your current case, I have that problem too I used foam filters made for small ceramic heaters and put them over all openings without fans and got a couple of the previously mentioned ebay filters for the fans.they screw on inside or outside your case directly to the fan. Only other choice I had was to clean the house (like that's goona happen)LoL

I need a maid! :)  I could always move my parakeet and put his cage near the case and let him flap every so often to keep dust away lol; then again, his feathers and dust would be a issue. Oh well.

Any of the big guys handle dust, ie. NZXT?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2012 7:46:44 PM

mikeny said:
Thanks Jrayx and trumpeter199. I looked at all 3. The CMs look nice. Im wondering if I loose any cooling since I see no fan on the side panel. The CM Stryker and Trooper look nice. Im thinking the HAF is in a class in itself. If only they added dust filters in the new HAF model. Seems like they are the only one with 3- 230mm fans.

I really dont want to replace the HAF but I swear I can make dust balls and throw them. PLus, when I start to clean the case (to keep the fans from failing), I start sneezing; that's how much dust accumulates no matter how many days in a row I clean. Weird thing is my desk, monitor and speaker console...hardly any dust! I swear the HAF is a dust magnet.

Trumpeter199, yeah, I must find a full tower. Once I bought a full tower, I can't go back! :)  I did check out the case you recommended. Looks good.

With the Stryker I think you may loose some cooling directly to the GPU but the HDD cages can be rotated 180° so you can put one with the default configuration with 4 HDD (Or SSD) and leave the other empty with the fan facing front to back to give your GPU some cooling.
In the trooper is exactly the same (Looks better for me, like the HAF) but instead of a window you can install 2 120 mm fans in the side with a mesh as a dust filter, so it'll improve cooling a lot.

Quote:
Anyone here of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811146089

Yeah the Switch 810 is great (I was going to suggest that case, but i didn't know if it was on your budget), it's great for water cooling and for multiple video cards. It comes with dust filters in every intake (In the bottom and front) and it has that slide top cover for airflow and silence, but it comes handy to keep dust out when you're not using the PC.

You'll have no problems with air cooling because you can mount fans in the hard drive cages and direct the airflow to your GPU or CPU. Or you can just remove one cage to give fresh air from the front intake to the graphics card.
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:24:37 PM

jrayx said:
With the Stryker I think you may loose some cooling directly to the GPU but the HDD cages can be rotated 180° so you can put one with the default configuration with 4 HDD (Or SSD) and leave the other empty with the fan facing front to back to give your GPU some cooling.
In the trooper is exactly the same (Looks better for me, like the HAF) but instead of a window you can install 2 120 mm fans in the side with a mesh as a dust filter, so it'll improve cooling a lot.

Quote:
Anyone here of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811146089

Yeah the Switch 810 is great (I was going to suggest that case, but i didn't know if it was on your budget), it's great for water cooling and for multiple video cards. It comes with dust filters in every intake (In the bottom and front) and it has that slide top cover for airflow and silence, but it comes handy to keep dust out when you're not using the PC.

You'll have no problems with air cooling because you can mount fans in the hard drive cages and direct the airflow to your GPU or CPU. Or you can just remove one cage to give fresh air from the front intake to the graphics card.

Yepp, budget is between $100-$300. I'm curious if anything tops the HAF since I see it was and still is so popular.
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:36:10 PM

Wow, Im surprised, seems like slide out motherboard trays have been banished. I saw the NZXT 810 and it's newest edition has a area cut open for super huge heatsink/fan which is a plus for me, I have the monster Hyper 212 Evo.

How's the NZXT Phantom? I heard a while ago that NZXT and Lian-Li were the super expensive cases but wondered if they rivaled the famous HAF 932. I saw the Thermaltake Armor + series (new one); it looks weird.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2012 10:52:30 PM

Very little cases have removable motherboard tray now, such a useful feature. Yeah almost all new cases have a CPU cutout so you don't have to remove the motherboard to install a CPU cooler back plate.

The NZXT Phantom is great, and now is not that expensive (Around 110 US dollars) In terms of airflow the nzxt is not that far of the HAF 932. I think it fits 3 massive 200 mm fans (And 1 230 mm), and some 120 mm and 140 mm fans. Besides It has a fan controller for each fan in that case, so its very useful.

Quote:
This one is really nice but doesn't have dust filters.

It has some dust filters for the Power Supply and 2 for the 200 mm fans. But on the side and front intakes it doesn't have any dust filter (Just that metal mesh), but you could buy individual filters for the 120 mm 140 mm fans.

Edit: I've been watching a review of the Phantom, and the side 120 mm fans has a mesh so the only intakes that doesn't have a filter are the 120 mm in the front, but you could buy some filter for them.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:04:31 PM

Im shocked, when I was in the market bought the HAF, there were many cases with pull out MB trays, I actually haven't seen one for full towers.

hmmm, really, I was reading and it mentioned nothing. Buy? You mean from NZXT, CM or at Home depot? I figured if I get a case it comes with filters.

I saw the Cosmos 2 also.. wow a sexy, sleek case with everything....but the $350 price is the same as a GTTX670 lol...so nope :) 

m
l
December 28, 2012 5:47:54 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I'm torn by these 3. How do you buy filters for them? I nevr payed attention concerning filters, I thought with the huge air flow in the HAF, dust wouldnt be a problem...wrong.

The Phantom after mail in and sale, is $80; not a bad deal considering it's a NZXT. Sometimes, a low price makes me wonder. "You get what you pay for," comes to mind. Usually the NZXTs are up there in price as the 810 is $164. It looks like the 810 is more sturdier. The Stryker looks nice as well.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2012 6:44:54 PM

mikeny said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I'm torn by these 3. How do you buy filters for them? I nevr payed attention concerning filters, I thought with the huge air flow in the HAF, dust wouldnt be a problem...wrong.

The Phantom after mail in and sale, is $80; not a bad deal considering it's a NZXT. Sometimes, a low price makes me wonder. "You get what you pay for," comes to mind. Usually the NZXTs are up there in price as the 810 is $164. It looks like the 810 is more sturdier. The Stryker looks nice as well.

Well in newegg sell some individual filters for your fans, like this one's from Silverstone:
They're somewhat expensive for a filter, but works and all of them are magnetic, so if you're not using the front slot of the phantom (Which is the case with less dust filters of all 3), you can just put the filter there.

In the other 2 cases the dust is not real problem, because the stryker is full of dust filters (In the front bays, at the bottom, in the top and some double mesh for the sides). So as long you wash them or vacuum them, you're going to have a clean case.

The switch 810 is almost the same as the Stryker in terms of dust filters. All the bottom is covered in dust filters, the front filter can be removed very easily and the top has that slide mechanism.

So it's really up to you, but it'll be an improvement over the HAF 932 in therms of dust but not really sure if the airflow is going to be the same (But still it'll be enough to cool anything you want)
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:44:37 AM

Thanks. I was thinking about adding filters to my present case but since the actual case is more than a few years old, I thought it would be a good time to update that. I was leaning towards the NZXT 810 but saw on youtube that it has flimsy dust filters. Cooler Master has a big reputation concerning cases and cooling so I decided to get the Stryker. Love the design and the inside and it's got enough space for huge video cards. I'm looking to 7xx GTX series that will hopefully be available this spring or summer.

Even with tax, Amazon was less expensive lol. I loved the outside of the Phantom but it didnt have many fans and I saw on youtube, it only takes NZXT fans and it is a great case but decided on the stryker. The Phantom 820 is really nice but close to $300....Id rather spend that on a video card. The Stryker had nice filters. I saw some other cool cases but they were unknowns..Azza etc. I thought to stick with the guys people shout out when you say cases lol....CM, NZXT, Corsair. Oh and the Phantom, I believe you have to open up the case (the fan area that you are looking to clean) and unscrew the filter. The Stryker...just pull out, clean and put back. I'll admit, I was staring at the 810, Phantom and the Styker for hours....yeah Im an arse :)  Tough to make up my mind. I think I was slightly unsure of Phantom...dont want to just buy for looks (but love the look) so it was between the Stryker and 810. The 810 had a LED light near the backplate which is nice but I rarely will unplug things at night anyway. Maybe my next case wil be NZXT. I like to try new equipment and I have to admit the Phantom is sexy lol Stryker also!

m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2012 2:29:58 AM

Yeah, the Stryker is an excellent case (though I like more the Trooper because of the side 2 120 mm fans and the color black) it has a solid construction and it's very good for water cooling.
Besides is not that expensive for what you get (I'm amazed, 130 bucks on amazon? I'm going to get it :lol: ) There's some other cases at that price point, and they're not as good as the stryker/trooper.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:09:09 PM

jrayx said:
Yeah, the Stryker is an excellent case (though I like more the Trooper because of the side 2 120 mm fans and the color black) it has a solid construction and it's very good for water cooling.
Besides is not that expensive for what you get (I'm amazed, 130 bucks on amazon? I'm going to get it :lol: ) There's some other cases at that price point, and they're not as good as the stryker/trooper.

I'm a prime member so 2-day shipping is free for me and next day delivery was only $8.99 on Amazon. One thing with newegg, there extra shipping options are freaking expensive. If I wanted next day delivery, it would be $64! 2 day; $40. Outrageous.

I loved the HAF and the cooling in there was nice. I was just too afraid of that dust. If I got the NZXT, I would of had to buy more fans. I like the white/black color and the way it's constructed.

I think you almost got caught up in what it says. The difference is that it doesnt have a window. They both have the same amount of fans. Look carefully in details. It says "optional" on some of the fans. The fans are facing front in trooper, on the side by the stryker. I was going to turn the bays around but thought I would try it out. I only have a DVD-RW although dont seem to need it lol as I mostly download my games and use Steam. The motherboard disc is basically on the manufacture's website, 2 Velociraptors in their "ice packs"and a SSD drive.The 200mm and 140mm fans are by the motherboard. What's nice, since it's CM, I can take the fans out of my HAF and put them in the Stryker!

I like the way the other side of the case is dented outward for cable management; something I need to do a better job on this one lol. The 240mm fan on the side panel on the HAF was a pain.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2012 12:23:22 AM

All the drivers should be in the motherboard manufacturer website, the drivers in the CD's are very outdated. And yes I've seen the side 230 mm fan in the HAF 932 and it doesn't have a dust filter. I can imagine the amount of dust being sucked by that fan.
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:00:13 AM

Thanks Darksparten!

Jrayx;

I took out of my parts earlier, oh my god, soooooo much dust in there. Even my PSU had dust balls! Thank goodness the filters are everywhere in the Stryker.

One thing I remember; fan controllers= pain in the arse. The Styker manual is awful. The directions for the fan controller and leds are terrible. i had to take a break and do it tomorrow.
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:01:04 AM

One thing that puzzles me; why the hell do MB manufacturers put the s/n on the bottom of the motherboard! Why why why!
m
l
!