Sign in with
Your question

Video Card crash - Dual monitors = no video output anywhere - no sound.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2012 6:34:47 PM

I had a video card crash the other day while playing Diablo3. All the sudden both monitors lost all video and they went to sleep. The computer was still running and everything was still working ok, but there was no output from the video card. I rebooted the computer - no video. Didn't want to enter panic mode yet, but after several reboots I decided to open up the case and use some compressed air to clean out all the dust and my fans. I took out the video card and reinserted it - booted up with still no video output. I then unplugged my second montior and then boom - video to my primary display. - I have since tried several times to connect the second monitor, every time I connect it - i immediately lose all video output. I can remote into the system and everything is working fine, but no video to the monitors.

I then decided to just stay with the one monitor and take a break, but then I realized there was no sound!!! I tried unplugging and plugging back in my speakers- i disabled the sound in device manager and enabled it - i uninstalled the sound driver and rebooted to have windows reinstall it - still no sound.

I can live with 1 monitor (barely) but I cannot live without sound.

Any thoughts? Did my video card overheat and short the sound from my mother board? (i use integrated sound).

I am using Windows 7 64 bit
CPU:

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Quad-Core processor

RAM:

G.Skill 6GB (3x2GB) 1.5v DDR3 1333MHz triple channel kit

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 with 2xUSB 3.0, 6xUSB 2.0-1.1, 1xCoaxial Realtek ALC892 8 channel 6.1 sound card onboard, 2x gigabit Ethernet

Video:

Gigabyte GV-R5750C-1GI Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128bit GDDR5 Video RAM, PCI-X 2.1 x16, HDCP ready; 2xDVI ports, 1xD-Sub port, 1xHDMI port(audio-video)

850W power supply, Zalman 120mm ball bearing copper/nickel CPU cooler
June 22, 2012 3:20:05 PM

Any ideas why a bad card would affect my onboard sound? I have a sound card coming today. I still bet a black screen crash if I try to use both DVI prots. Is this card toast?
!