Sign in with
Your question

Can't secure leg on Intel stock cooler

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2012 4:07:27 AM

I need to install this Intel stock cooler for an i5, but one of the legs is stuck in the up position even when I twist the top. Can't secure it into the motherboard, and the BIOS gave me a cpu temperature error. It's just a stuck bit of plastic, what can I do to fix it?

I don't intend to overclock, so I'm not eager to go buy a $50 Zalman cooler, remove/ apply thermal paste, and remove my mobo again to install the new heatsink. Just want to get this stock one working for now.

http://i.imgur.com/dpTj3.jpg

On the right, piece of plastic is stuck at the bottom rather than with space to move like the one on the left.
a c 146 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 4:29:49 AM

Snacks289 said:
I need to install this Intel stock cooler for an i5, but one of the legs is stuck in the up position even when I twist the top. Can't secure it into the motherboard, and the BIOS gave me a cpu temperature error. It's just a stuck bit of plastic, what can I do to fix it?

I don't intend to overclock, so I'm not eager to go buy a $50 Zalman cooler, remove/ apply thermal paste, and remove my mobo again to install the new heatsink. Just want to get this stock one working for now.

http://i.imgur.com/dpTj3.jpg

On the right, piece of plastic is stuck at the bottom rather than with space to move like the one on the left.

The one that has the black part sticking all the way through is in the lock position. You need to swist the top part counter clockwise then pull up. That will unlock it then just re-install and push down like normal.
m
l
December 27, 2012 4:45:33 AM

I've tried that, it's not moving.

I can push all of them down except that one. Like I said, the piece of plastic is locked down, whereas the others (seen on the left) are off the surface below them and can be moved up and down.
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:03:00 AM

Does the top piece move at all? Can you twist it the other way, clockwise?
m
l
December 27, 2012 5:04:14 AM

The top moves when I use a flathead screwdriver, but it can't go up and down. The white disc is quite thoroughly stuck where it is.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:06:42 AM

Snacks289 said:
The top moves when I use a flathead screwdriver, but it can't go up and down. The white disc is quite thoroughly stuck where it is.

You could try pulling up on it with a pliers but if it is jammed the only thing I can think of is getting a new heatsink.
m
l
December 27, 2012 5:14:12 AM

Only other one I have is a 775 heatsink. I don't even know where to find a good one I know will fit, and preferably doesn't require me to take the motherboard out again.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:19:44 AM

You would have to buy a new one and there are alot of places you can buy from. If you are in the US or Canada there is TigerDirect . Newegg and NCIX. What I5 do you have? If it is one of the more recent models, Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges you need a cooler that is compatible with the 1155 socket.
m
l
December 27, 2012 5:22:37 AM

It's an Ivy Bridge, but I'm more worried about the motherboard. It's a mini motherboard, so I don't know about something with a base like Zalman, because it might interfere with the RAM.

For now, I just pulled the piece into place with pliers.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:26:51 AM

Ok and were you able to get the push pins to mount and lock?
m
l
December 27, 2012 5:33:00 AM

Not going to try again until morning.
m
l
!