Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why OS booting in Pentium 4 slower than Core 2 Duo system?

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:45:00 AM

I was wondering why Core 2 Duo system boot to OS faster than Pentium 4 system. What is the factor of making the system boot faster? Storage system known already, SSD making boot faster. But the processor factor?

Best solution

a c 75 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:56:24 AM

cmon 2duo has 2 core, it process load distributely within 2 cores
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:59:16 AM

Assume they have same speed, Core 2 duo have 2 CPU cores and pentium 4 only have single core so, theoretically, it is 2 times faster.

There are other factors like architecture of CPU but it is quite negligible in ur case.

RAM is part of the factor as well.
m
l
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 11:29:36 AM

The Core 2 Duo can process more data / execute more instructions than the Pentium 4 can. That's why. It's like driving a car for 100 miles. Car #1 can only go as fast as 80MPH, car #2 can go as fast as 110MPH. Guess which car can travel 100 miles sooner than the other car.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2012 1:58:49 PM

Another thing you have to consider is what OS are you booting, is the drive defragmented, how is it connected (IDE ribbon cable vs SATA 1/2), how relatively new is the Pentium 4's technology vs the Core 2 Duo... There's a lot of factors, but generally, the Core 2 Duo should always top it. With Linux, my P4 system boots very very fast, but I have no doubt in my mind that if there was a Core 2 Duo system with Linux next to mine, it'll top it.
m
l
!