how to turn off drop sound ?

hi, I'm just wondering how I can turn off this annoying DROP SOUND that I
hear almost everywhere I go on the internet.
I like to play CD's. So just useing the mute button doesn't seem to be an
option.

System:
HP530J
win XP
XP's pop-up blocker activated(make's drop noise when on or off)
zone alarm w/ anitvirus

Thanks for any help,
Sam B
1 answer Last reply
More about turn drop sound

    Open Sounds and Audio Device Properties...
    Start | Run | Type: mmsys.cpl | Click OK |
    Sounds tab | Program events

    Sound scheme
    [[Lists schemes that you can use to change the sounds assigned to many
    program events. Each scheme consists of a set of events and the sounds
    associated with them. You can create a new sound scheme by clicking Save
    As.]]

    Program events
    [[Lists the program events to which you can assign sounds. To assign a sound
    to a program event, click a program event (such as Close program) under
    Events, and then click a sound under Sounds.
    If you do not see a sound in Sounds, you can click the down arrow to select
    from those listed, or you can click Browse to search for sound files on your
    computer.]]

    Sounds
    [[Lists the available sound files that you can associate with program
    events. The sound files listed are typically those files stored in
    systemroot\media. However, if you have browsed to a different folder and
    used sounds located in that folder, the Sounds list includes sounds from
    that folder.
    You can search for sound files in other folders by clicking Browse.
    Sound files for program events must be in Microsoft WAV format, a file
    format developed to store and replay sounds on a personal computer. Their
    names usually include .wav as an extension.]]

    Play button
    [[Plays the selected sound. When the sound plays, this button changes to a
    square block or a Stop button. Click the Stop button to stop playing the
    selected sound.]]

    Browse button
    [[Click to search for sounds on other drives or in other folders.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7FB14E06-CB2E-46EB-807E-A27C6C8372A8@microsoft.com,
    Sam B <Sam B@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > hi, I'm just wondering how I can turn off this annoying DROP SOUND that I
    > hear almost everywhere I go on the internet.
    > I like to play CD's. So just useing the mute button doesn't seem to be an
    > option.
    >
    > System:
    > HP530J
    > win XP
    > XP's pop-up blocker activated(make's drop noise when on or off)
    > zone alarm w/ anitvirus
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Sam B

Configuration Customization Windows XP