XFX HD 5770 idle and load temps

doctor_gonzo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello community,

I am having problems with the idle and load temps on my HD 5770, when I am not in a 3D application the idle clocks are locked at 400/1200 where as months ago under the same conditions the idle clock would have been 400/900. This is also affecting my idle temps to be around 63c (which from what i read is nowhere near what the 5xxx series should be at). I know it is summer and everything is expected to run hotter. However, that is not my major concern after only minutes into playing Diablo 3 my XFX 5770 at about 70% load rockets into the 90c range.

To try to eliminate these high temps. I have a HAF 922 case that has 6 120mm fans 3 intake and 3 exhaust that I just replaced, so I do not think it is a question about airflow.

After reading some other posts explaining the same problem i saw a few suggestions that lead toward a driver problem with the 2d profiles in CCC 12.xxx that raise there clocks and I guess never really let the card "cool down" when there is no 3d application. I was wondering that if anyone has gone back a few drivers without suffering any stability issues? or i noticed the 12.8 CCC beta has that fixed there issues?

Ultimately, it may be that the thermal paste has dried up but, i want to eliminate all other problems before I RMA the card to XFX.

doctor_gonzo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
update: got bored enough today to just open up the card and sure enough the thermal paste that had originally came with the card was dried up, so i re-applied some paste and now my temps are 55c @idle and 76 @load. figured i would update just in case there are some more people out there with a similar problem. (just make sure it is your last resort because doing this fix will void the warranty)