Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me choose between two very similar CPUs

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2012 6:21:00 AM

I am planning on building a new gaming rig and have started picking up parts one by one. Just yesterday I picked up a define r4 with windowed side panel for only $80 at ncix.

The choices I am torn between are i7 2700k and i7 3770k.

I am going to buy them from the micro center and the price difference is marginal with 3770k being only $10 more expensive. The catch is that the 3770k can be bundled with a motherboard of my choice for an additional $40 off while the 2700k can't.

I am planning on overclocking the CPU at a stable temperature with water cooling.

I will probably buy the seasonic 750w gold fully modular psu when it goes on sale again for $100 on newegg.

I will be using the sapphire 6850(which I already have from my old build) until I can get a good deal on an evga card.

I will run a quad channel memory with 4x 4gb memory with a slight chance of possibly going dual channel 2x 8gb. (Which would be better, if there is a difference at all?)

As for the hard drive, I will use a 7200 rpm hdd, with no plan on throwing in a ssd in the near future.

I don't use any resource intensive programs like video, photo, audio editing, etc. I do use virtual machines and I try to run as many vms as my computer can handle and sometimes I leave it running for days.

I tried providing as much information as I can. I hope it will provide information needed for you guys to determine which CPU would be better suited for me. Thanks everyone, and I will select a best answer once my question is answered.

More about : choose similar cpus

a c 186 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 6:22:33 AM

Get the 3770K then. It's slightly faster than the 2700K.
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:05:19 AM

Bump. More answers please
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 177 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 8:44:22 AM

the 3770k is faster at stock speeds, but ivy bridge produces more heat when overclocked, but needs less of a overclock to reach sandy bridge performance at higher clock speeds. If ur not going to overclock then the ivy bridge 3770k it is, and if ur are well id prob still go with the 3770k lol plus u get the motherboard bundle so def take that.

psu is great, def a new gpu lol, for the ram 4 sticks use more power than 2 and i heard for an overclock 2 makes more stable in some occasions, not to sure tho. U can currently get 2x8gb of gskill sniper 1600mhz on newegg for $65 after a promo code.
December 27, 2012 9:52:01 AM

lazyboy947 said:
the 3770k is faster at stock speeds, but ivy bridge produces more heat when overclocked, but needs less of a overclock to reach sandy bridge performance at higher clock speeds. If ur not going to overclock then the ivy bridge 3770k it is, and if ur are well id prob still go with the 3770k lol plus u get the motherboard bundle so def take that.

psu is great, def a new gpu lol, for the ram 4 sticks use more power than 2 and i heard for an overclock 2 makes more stable in some occasions, not to sure tho. U can currently get 2x8gb of gskill sniper 1600mhz on newegg for $65 after a promo code.

Thanks for the reply!

I will be overclocking my cpu (whether it be 2700k or 3770k) but not too much. I want to overclock to a point where my cooling can keep the cpu at normal temperatures.

Let's say I want to oc my 2700k to 4.5. How high would I need to overclock with the 3770k to meet the speed of a 2700k at 4.5? And how hot will it get?

As for the rams, I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I will look to get a dual channel set up then.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 5:49:58 PM

4.2-4.3ghz, since they're running the mobo deal with the 3770K it's a better choice.
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:52:58 AM

Best answer selected by skitsofrenic.
m
l
!