Computer keeps shutting down, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot807

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hi, for the past year, my Dell Studio XPS 8000 has been crashing while playing games. These games are admittedly demanding, but my computer has always been able to handle them. I first figured it was a problem with the graphics card, but since I can clearly notice it overheats ( 200F usually when playing Armed Assault 2) when playing games, and I think that may be the problem. I have cleaned out all the dust and I have applied a fresh layer of thermal paste. Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem. Help would be appreciated. My computer has a Nvidia Gforce 220, for the record.

Solution
Its a heat issue, is there any airflow in the case? Since its a Dell im assuming its not made for optimum cooling. Maybe get a mid tower case with better airflow and also will allow you to put full sized vid cards in it, if its only take low profile ones now since it has a 220 in it.

kurjack

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
In your bios a heat threshold should be set. If you GPU is going above this, then yes your computer will turn off to prevent damage. If you are simply browsing the web and not doing anything demanding does the computer still turn off?

Jackpot807

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

No. Whenever I do something like browse the web or watch a video, my computer does not turn off.

the 220 not a good gaming card it kind of weak. but as it a dell you have to replace the ps with a larger one to put in a better video card. i would download msi afterburner...and i would see if the fan is moving on the video card....you can turn the fan speed up without hurting the card with afterburner. you should be able to see and hear the card spin up. if the fan does not change speeds...then that could be why your gpu is over heating. if the fan does spin up to speed i would look to turn dows the video settings in the game. the 4axxx and other settings are fine for high end card but for older cards it can cause them to overheat.i would try running the game on low everything and see if the card with afterburner running stays cooler.

Jackpot807

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I have been in the market for a new Graphics Card, but I've been having a hard time finding ones compatible with my XPS 3000. Whenever I play a game, I can hear the fan speeding up, getting louder and louder until eventually the computer shuts off. I don't know if that noise I'm hearing is actually the fan or not, but I am sure it is. I will try Afterburner now and see if this is the problem.

Edit: I'm now positive the noise I hear is the fan. I have tested out Afterburner and my fan is able to change speeds.

Its a heat issue, is there any airflow in the case? Since its a Dell im assuming its not made for optimum cooling. Maybe get a mid tower case with better airflow and also will allow you to put full sized vid cards in it, if its only take low profile ones now since it has a 220 in it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS