GTecX

Distinguished
May 15, 2001
I just recently bought an IBM 60GXP 60GB ATA100 hard drive. So then I installed it, created a partition, formatted, and then installed Windows ME

I'm using an Abit BE6 motherboard. So the hard drive is connected to an ATA66 IDE slot. It's a single hard drive. The motherboard is using a HPT 366 v1.25.1 IDE controller.

The problem is that I keep getting lock ups. I don't know why. It doesn't lock up when it's idle, but only when it's in use. I formatted and reinstalled WinME and it still locked up. Formatted and installed Win98se and it still locked up. Formatted again and now i'm on WinME and it still locks up. Does anyone know of a solution or what the problem is? Please respond.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What did you have before? Can you try to install the older drive (if it is still alive) on the same cable/controller and see then? If it is fine, get a separate IDE controller card for your new IBM drive, my guess is that older controller on the board does not like something in IBM drive. Can you try to install it on the IDE33 port and see what happens then? I do really think that it should be fine there (and you will not see the performance loss).

On the other hand I have same mobo (and second addition one) with IBM 10 gig drives in my friends puters running on IDE66 without any problem for 2 years now, but I had to set it up on IDE33 first and then moved it on IDE66.

Have fun.

PS: and yeah, did you install the driver from mobo floppy for the controller in Windows (just to make sure)

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink: