Sign in with
Your question

Geforce GTX 670 performance drops? PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2012 9:47:38 PM

i have a ZOTAC Gefore GTX 670 AMP! edition and i dont seem to have stable performance while playing games. Im playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and even with normal settings, when i turn a corner, or look at alot of fire or something in-game, my fps drops to like 25-35 rather than 60 for a couple seconds. This kind of ruins the game as whenever you want to sneak around or turn a corner to shoot someone, you have a 2 second FPS drop every time you turn a corner. Why is this happening, i dont have all setting to max or very high even! i was expecting exception performance out of the 670, especially the AMP! edition and the fact that Human Revolution is not necessarily graphically demanding.
Is something wrong? what can i change to fix this??

the rest of my build:
i5-3570k
G.Skill 8gb Ram
1TB seagate barracuda HDD
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Mobo

*nothing is overclocked or tampered with, i just assembled PC
June 21, 2012 9:56:40 PM

Tried the newest 'beta' driver?
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 10:04:44 PM

Yeah that sounds like a drive related issue or a frame buffer problem.
m
l
June 21, 2012 10:18:42 PM

purple stank said:
Yeah that sounds like a drive related issue or a frame buffer problem.

installing new driver now, will report back
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 10:34:39 PM

If that doesn't work I would suggest starting a ticket with Zotac.
m
l
June 21, 2012 10:35:34 PM

now i have a problem that when i first start up the game, it has like 1 fps
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 10:37:31 PM

What drivers did you have?
m
l
June 21, 2012 10:38:20 PM

purple stank said:
What drivers did you have?

when i ran it the first time it worked, but when i restarted it and my comp it wont run
m
l
June 21, 2012 10:49:51 PM

well, i tried to reinstall the game thinking that it was the problem because other games didnt seem to have this issue, and in trying to do that i accidently DELETED THE ENTIRE GAME. I have to wait through another 4.5 hour download to even test it again. :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 10:54:27 PM

adampcpower said:
i have a ZOTAC Gefore GTX 670 AMP! edition and i dont seem to have stable performance while playing games. Im playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and even with normal settings, when i turn a corner, or look at alot of fire or something in-game, my fps drops to like 25-35 rather than 60 for a couple seconds. This kind of ruins the game as whenever you want to sneak around or turn a corner to shoot someone, you have a 2 second FPS drop every time you turn a corner. Why is this happening, i dont have all setting to max or very high even! i was expecting exception performance out of the 670, especially the AMP! edition and the fact that Human Revolution is not necessarily graphically demanding.
Is something wrong? what can i change to fix this??

the rest of my build:
i5-3570k
G.Skill 8gb Ram
1TB seagate barracuda HDD
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Mobo

*nothing is overclocked or tampered with, i just assembled PC

if this problem is just for this game so your problem is drivers issue,if there are other games it must be power supply cheap power supply can cause lots of trouble ,if its not the power supply it must either the mother or the graphics card it self
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 11:04:11 PM

If it's only with one game then it's obviously a driver issue. You have to wait out for a driver update.
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:09:08 PM

well, in windowed mode, the game ran fine, but as soon as i went to fullscreen the FPS dropped off completely
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 11:38:09 PM

What power supply are you using?
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:39:24 PM

OCZ Fatal1ty 750w. Please dont tell me thats the problem.. i just bought it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 11:43:14 PM

adampcpower said:
OCZ Fatal1ty 750w. Please dont tell me thats the problem.. i just bought it

We'll one thing that comes to mind when I see a power supply with 4 vrails I think that perhaps you don't have the correct pci-e cables connected to it to feed it the proper vrail amps. Which is why I never suggest multiple vrail psus anymore.

I would think you would have this issue for more than just 1 intensive game. Perhaps try out some other gpu intensive games and see if same issues occur.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 12:24:18 AM

Are you sure about that? I always thought that the PSU adjusts the power through the rails itself.Also even at 216 watts per rail that's still enough to power a single GTX670.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 12:32:24 AM

purple stank said:
Are you sure about that? I always thought that the PSU adjusts the power through the rails itself.Also even at 216 watts per rail that's still enough to power a single GTX670.

Well if he has the wrong pci cables connected it could cause issues.

E.G. you would want to figure out how your vrails are managed, then connect the vrail dedicated to PCI to the gpu.

Some psus will dedicate 2 vrails seperately to two pci cables giving 432watts total for the two pci cables. Which would definately be enough for a single 670.
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:05:24 AM

so how do i know if it is sufficient... i thought this PSU was geared towards gamers and would therefore be able to power the 670 GPU..
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 1:31:59 AM

It is sufficient but you need to look towards the manual for which rails and connectors you should use.Although I doubt this is a power related issue because if the rail was using to much power it would just shut down entirely.What your experiencing sounds like a driver problem or a fault with the card itself.

Skip to the "Multiple +12 V rails" section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#Multiple_.2B12_V_rails
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:39:52 AM

purple stank said:
It is sufficient but you need to look towards the manual for which rails and connectors you should use.Although I doubt this is a power related issue because if the rail was using to much power it would just shut down entirely.What your experiencing sounds like a driver problem or a fault with the card itself.

Skip to the "Multiple +12 V rails" section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#Multiple_.2B12_V_rails

what else can i do to further diagnose the problem? should i just download another graphics intensive game and see what happens, or what? i want to narrow it down so i dont start worrying if my graphics card is defective, i would hate to have to RMA after i JUST got this comp up and running
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:55:17 AM

Wow... so much misinformation...

I've seen kind of issue before and it usually ends up being a frame buffer problem. You're most likely exceeding the 1GB or whatever of VRAM that your card has.

If you have some kind of GPU monitoring ability see what the maximum VRAM use is. If it goes over, which will happen when you introduce new things to the scene (as in going around a corner), it will try to use the Hard Drive as VRAM which makes is stutter horrendously for a few seconds until it frees up enough RAM.
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:59:07 AM

super-smashman said:
Wow... so much misinformation...

I've seen kind of issue before and it usually ends up being a frame buffer problem. You're most likely exceeding the 1GB or whatever of VRAM that your card has.

If you have some kind of GPU monitoring ability see what the maximum VRAM use is. If it goes over, which will happen when you introduce new things to the scene (as in going around a corner), it will try to use the Hard Drive as VRAM which makes is stutter horrendously for a few seconds until it frees up enough RAM.

your describing exactly what happens. I will check shortly, but i'd hope the ZOTAC GTX 670 AMP! edition would have more than enough to process these situations, or why did i throw over $400 at something that wets itself everytime i turn a corner. Can I resolve this problem easily?

SPECS:
Engine Clock speed

1110 MHz (base),

1176 MHz (boost)

Unified Shaders

Shader Clock

N/A

Memory Clock speed

6608 MHz

Memory

2GB GDDR5

Memory interface

256-bit
m
l
June 22, 2012 2:16:52 AM

The 670 should have enough VRAM to handle a game like Deus Ex. However, there could be a driver problem that is causing the VRAM to be mismanaged.

I think your best bet is to follow Purple Stank's advice and sweep all your drivers and re-install the latest ones.

If that doesn't work, try some other intensive game and see if the problem occurs in that. If it does, it's probably a hardware issue and we can narrow it down from there. If it doesn't, it must be a software issue.
m
l
June 22, 2012 2:28:14 AM

Ok, so i am going to delete and re-install all video card drivers and i am currently downloading FarCry2 (thats the most demanding game i currently have) and see how that plays. I will update within a couple hours, stay with me guys you've all been so helpful!
m
l
June 23, 2012 2:20:40 AM

Ok, so heres the deal. I reinstalled the game as well as the drivers for the video card along with other games. For Diablo 3, everything runs perfectly on max settings, and for FarCry2, it seemed pretty flawless without noticible fps drops. For Deus Ex: HR, there still seems to be FPS drops when i turn corner, or sometimes at random and also its not as sever if its in windowed mode compared to fullscreen mode, even if i stretch the window to full. No matter what settings i have the game on, whether medium all or maxed out, the fps drops occur just as often and are just as noticible, probably from 60 to 30 fps for about 1 second. What do you guys think, im new to PC gaming so should i just expect FPS drops during a game?
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:32:20 AM

adampcpower said:
well, in windowed mode, the game ran fine, but as soon as i went to fullscreen the FPS dropped off completely

Omg so much useless infos people posting here.If your game runs fine in windowed mode then its ovious driver issue.That game is anyways am amd game.
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:34:31 AM

cooldudesubho said:
Omg so much useless infos people posting here.If your game runs fine in windowed mode then its ovious driver issue.That game is anyways am amd game.

can this problem be fixed to make the game run better, or do i just live with it? as long as its not the GPUs problem and the actual hardware is ok then im good. i just want to make sure the component is working properly in case i had to return it or something

Im running nvidias driver 304.48 currently
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:57:19 AM

Run crysis2,bf3,skyrim,heaven benchmark.What kind of framerate u r getting in far cry2?And let me tell you something you can never play every game flawlessly with a particular driver.You got to experiment with old drivers.
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:11:42 AM

cooldudesubho said:
Run crysis2,bf3,skyrim,heaven benchmark.What kind of framerate u r getting in far cry2?And let me tell you something you can never play every game flawlessly with a particular driver.You got to experiment with old drivers.

how do i run these benchmarks, do i have to buy all the games or is there another way.
And as long as the hardware is fully functional then im ok, as long a there is no defect in the actual component so i can rest assured all the money i spent isint wasted for something thats not working right
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:17:29 AM

yup u have to buy them.but heaven is free.download that
m
l
June 23, 2012 5:00:00 AM

cooldudesubho said:
yup u have to buy them.but heaven is free.download that

I ran Heaven Benchmark and these were the results: