Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build (First Timer)

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 11, 2012 10:22:01 PM

Replacing old Dell XPS 420 (5 or 6 years old at this point). Wanted feedback on the build - make sure I am on right track:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/enIV

More about : build timer

August 11, 2012 10:36:47 PM

Holy cow... Great job... I seriously dont see any flaws in your build :D 

You must of spent some time deciding these parts considering it is your first time :D 
m
0
l
August 11, 2012 11:30:12 PM

andregab said:
Replacing old Dell XPS 420 (5 or 6 years old at this point). Wanted feedback on the build - make sure I am on right track:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/enIV

You have the right idea but I can see some obvious changes.

1) That gtx 570 gets beat out by the new generation cards (AMD 7xxx/Nvidia 6xx series) including the $250 AMD 7850 when it's over clocked not to mention these new cards use a lot less juice and produce a lot less heat than the older gen. cards like that 570.

2) You have a board meant for a future dual cards set up yet a psu that falls way short of powering dual 570's in SLI.

3) For a cpu h/s you want the newer version of that CM 212 which is the CM EVO for $10 more. It has a better mounting system, the fan is adjustable and it's an all around better h/s.

4) You do not want RAM like that Corsair with those tall cake cutter heat sinks unless you plan on using them for a hair comb. They will impede any decent size after market cpu h/s you choose to use.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $359.98 save: $20.00 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC1... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $32.39 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-66... <----- NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 TI 2GB due for release August 16th at an est. retail of $300. A 650w should push two of those cards in SLI but wait for the benchmarks to come out next week.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 12:18:45 AM

Why_Me said:
You have the right idea but I can see some obvious changes.

1) That gtx 570 gets beat out by the new generation cards (AMD 7xxx/Nvidia 6xx series) including the $250 AMD 7850 when it's over clocked not to mention these new cards use a lot less juice and produce a lot less heat than the older gen. cards like that 570.

2) You have a board meant for a future dual cards set up yet a psu that falls way short of powering dual 570's in SLI.

3) For a cpu h/s you want the newer version of that CM 212 which is the CM EVO for $10 more. It has a better mounting system, the fan is adjustable and it's an all around better h/s.

4) You do not want RAM like that Corsair with those tall cake cutter heat sinks unless you plan on using them for a hair comb. They will impede any decent size after market cpu h/s you choose to use.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $359.98 save: $20.00 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC1... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $32.39 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-66... <----- NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 TI 2GB due for release August 16th at an est. retail of $300. A 650w should push two of those cards in SLI but wait for the benchmarks to come out next week.
I agree with this advice except in noway does a 7850 beat a 570 it uses less power and it's possible it oc better but that's about it i would not buy neither both are not very impressive 7850 or 570= pass i would wait for 660 TI ;) 
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 12:08:19 PM

andregab said:
Thanks for the feedback. Updated the link (left the video card blank, for the GTX 660TI).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/erwy
No problem your very welcome!And your build looks great that case is allot of money but if you like it that much and can afford it i don't see any reason to change it :) 
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 12:54:28 PM

I hear you - I'll do a little more research on cases. Looks like I could save anaother $50 or so and still get something similar.
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 12:59:05 PM

andregab said:
I hear you - I'll do a little more research on cases. Looks like I could save anaother $50 or so and still get something similar.
You sure could here are a few you might like i can think of off the top my head
Case:Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:Antec DF-35 Black Steel Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
$10 off w/ promo code EMCNBNC32, ends 8/13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 4:10:16 PM

I think I'm going with the Antec Elen Hundred with some extra 120mm fans.
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 5:16:27 PM

andregab said:
I think I'm going with the Antec Elen Hundred with some extra 120mm fans.
good choice :) 
m
0
l
August 15, 2012 11:59:47 PM

Case and fans came in.

2 120mm in front, 2 120mm on side panel. I read that I should have all four for intake.

Cheap Rosewill RFA-120-BL with black Rosewill logo facing inside the case.
m
0
l
!