Cheap diagnostics/repair for a Nokia in Chicago?

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
August 20, 2004 9:07:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

Thanks.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:47:59 PM

In article <200820040008421819%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
> My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
> can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
> out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
> a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
> ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

Cell phones are too cheap these days to have repaired.

Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are it's
a set of spring contacts to the board. Clean the portion of the spring
contacts that touch the board and the pads on the board. That may work.
If it's beyond that, you'll have to find another phone of the same
model to take the speaker from. You can also look for loose components
on the PCB and solder them back down if the pad hasn't been ripped up
in the process.
August 20, 2004 6:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

In article <zaoVc.23243$Fg5.21315@attbi_s53>,
tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote:

> In article <200820040008421819%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
> > My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
> > can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
> > out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
> > a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
> > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
>
> Cell phones are too cheap these days to have repaired.
>
> Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are it's
> a set of spring contacts to the board. Clean the portion of the spring
> contacts that touch the board and the pads on the board. That may work.
> If it's beyond that, you'll have to find another phone of the same
> model to take the speaker from. You can also look for loose components
> on the PCB and solder them back down if the pad hasn't been ripped up
> in the process.

yeah my Weller w/60 watts would work well.
August 20, 2004 8:38:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

RPS wrote:

> My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
> can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
> out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
> a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
> ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

--
Best
Greg

Brent P <tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are
> it's a set of spring contacts to the board...

I can remove the front and back plates but opening further seems to
require special screwdriver, none of the small ones I have fit. Any
idea, where to look for a screwdriver that small?
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:42:29 PM

Chicago Paddling-Fishing <jwn@ripco.com> wrote:

> Speaker is replaceable... I have cingular and took mine to a cingular store,
> they turned it on to make sure it said "Cingular", turned it off, popped the
> cover off and in less than 5 minutes I had a new speaker...

Great! The only ATT outlet I stopped by weren't so friendly, the guy
had a bored look on his face even before I approached him and could
only think of recommending a new phone and switching to GSM plan with
more money and fewer minutes than I have now. But I'll keep looking, it
is only a matter of finding a nice person in nice mood.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:44:41 PM

In article <200820041140202656%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
> Brent P <tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are
>> it's a set of spring contacts to the board...
>
> I can remove the front and back plates but opening further seems to
> require special screwdriver, none of the small ones I have fit. Any
> idea, where to look for a screwdriver that small?

They are just torx... Forget what size nokia uses... probably T4-T7
head sizes. Memory on this is getting kinda foggy...
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:50:58 PM

Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
>
> Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 10:40:17 PM

RPS wrote in news:200820041252322582%rps@null.void:

> Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
>>
>> Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
>
> Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
> who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.

Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?

Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

--
sheila
August 20, 2004 10:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

In article <Xns954B8DC7DBB3Dfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>,
sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:

> RPS wrote in news:200820041252322582%rps@null.void:

> >> Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
> >
> > Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
> > who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.
> >

> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
>
> Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

his cell phone has become a hobby!
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:24:17 PM

In chi.general Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

: RPS wrote:

:> My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
:> can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
:> out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
:> a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
:> ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
:>

: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no cost...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:

>: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
>
> Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
> cost...

If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

--
sheila
Anonymous

kenji wrote in news:kenji-4108B3.14310920082004@news.ftupet.com:

>> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
>>
>> Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.
>
> his cell phone has become a hobby!

a job!

I'm having so much fun at work today using torx screwdrivers and fiddling
with a tiny speaker. I am not shitting you.

--
sheila
Anonymous

In article <Xns954B9B8324AC4feafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
> Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
>
>>: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
>>
>> Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
>> cost...
>
> If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

Service center was moved to texas years ago. I don't even know if
still exists. There was a time you could just drop off a phone at
600N US Hwy 45 in libertyville, but that is no more.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:31:37 AM

In article <Xns954B8DC7DBB3Dfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:

> Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

Unlikely. The speakers, while generally standard items from various
suppliers are not always. However even if they are, they will be using
spring contacts that are unique to the product. It is generally impossible
to remove these contacts from speaker, place them on another and have
any chance of the result working.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

sheila miguez herndon wrote:

> Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
>
> >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
> >
> > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
> > cost...
>
> If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

We were at the bar tonight and watchin' the Cubs game and Motorola had a
really neat ad - it was basically film clips with all the stuff that
Motorola has done through the years - starting with their first car radios
in the 30's and showing troops using their "Handie - Talkie" portable phone
sets in WWII......

--
Best
Greg

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

In article <VEAVc.5697$2L3.5102@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Gregory Morrow" <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

> sheila miguez herndon wrote:
>

> > Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
> >
> > >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
> > >
> > > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
> > > cost...
> >
> > If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.
> >

> We were at the bar tonight and watchin' the Cubs game and Motorola had a
> really neat ad - it was basically film clips with all the stuff that
> Motorola has done through the years - starting with their first car radios
> in the 30's and showing troops using their "Handie - Talkie" portable phone
> sets in WWII......

They also wrecked alot lives along the way too.

Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:00:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:

> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?

Not that I know of.
If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
hardware store item.

> Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:20:00 AM

In article <210820040002085962%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
> If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
> screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
> hardware store item.

You can get torx drivers, even small ones at exotic places like Sears.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:15:07 PM

RPS wrote:

> sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
>
> Not that I know of.
> If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
> screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
> hardware store item.

Those cheapo "computer tool" kits have them; see any store that sells
computer "accessories".
or maybe radio shack?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:46:05 AM

In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:

> Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.

They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!
August 23, 2004 7:48:49 AM

Uh, yEah, a Finnish multinational company, just like Motowhatever...

They both have offices in the US, and are both probably made in China.

"sheila miguez herndon" <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
>
> >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
> >
> > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
> > cost...
>
> If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.
>
> --
> sheila
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:33:18 PM

Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:

> In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:
>
>> Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
>
> They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!

Naw, that got canceled. I think.

--
sheila
Anonymous

RPS wrote in news:210820040002085962%rps@null.void:

> sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
>
> Not that I know of.
> If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
> screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
> hardware store item.

I wouldn't get them merely to use for having a cell phone since the
likelihood of you needing one is small and you wouldn't get much use out
of it. otoh, if you have a mac, they'd be useful. I think cars have torx
screws, or maybe I'm mistaken and those are hex.

Just borrow one from someone if ever need one. I think you probably won't
be able to fix your cell phone so don't bother getting one only for that.

--
sheila
Anonymous

In article <Xns954E648A43BB9feafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:

> I wouldn't get them merely to use for having a cell phone since the
> likelihood of you needing one is small and you wouldn't get much use out
> of it. otoh, if you have a mac, they'd be useful. I think cars have torx
> screws, or maybe I'm mistaken and those are hex.

Only GM uses torx in any great numbers...
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:50:47 PM

In article <Xns954E63F7D64FAfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
> Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:
>
>> In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:
>>
>>> Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
>>
>> They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!
>
> Naw, that got canceled. I think.

Does that mean moto still owns the place?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:57:20 PM

In article <rnoWc.56340$mD.21148@attbi_s02>, Brent P wrote:
> In article <Xns954E63F7D64FAfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
>> Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:

>>> They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!
>>
>> Naw, that got canceled. I think.
>
> Does that mean moto still owns the place?

answered my own question:

http://www.nwherald.com/CommunitySection/slupski/281214...
!