Cheap diagnostics/repair for a Nokia in Chicago?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

Thanks.
26 answers Last reply
More about cheap diagnostics repair nokia chicago
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

    In article <200820040008421819%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
    > My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
    > can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
    > out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
    > a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
    > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

    Cell phones are too cheap these days to have repaired.

    Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are it's
    a set of spring contacts to the board. Clean the portion of the spring
    contacts that touch the board and the pads on the board. That may work.
    If it's beyond that, you'll have to find another phone of the same
    model to take the speaker from. You can also look for loose components
    on the PCB and solder them back down if the pad hasn't been ripped up
    in the process.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

    In article <zaoVc.23243$Fg5.21315@attbi_s53>,
    tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote:

    > In article <200820040008421819%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
    > > My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
    > > can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
    > > out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
    > > a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
    > > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
    >
    > Cell phones are too cheap these days to have repaired.
    >
    > Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are it's
    > a set of spring contacts to the board. Clean the portion of the spring
    > contacts that touch the board and the pads on the board. That may work.
    > If it's beyond that, you'll have to find another phone of the same
    > model to take the speaker from. You can also look for loose components
    > on the PCB and solder them back down if the pad hasn't been ripped up
    > in the process.

    yeah my Weller w/60 watts would work well.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    RPS wrote:

    > My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
    > can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
    > out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
    > a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
    > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.

    Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

    --
    Best
    Greg

    Brent P <tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are
    > it's a set of spring contacts to the board...

    I can remove the front and back plates but opening further seems to
    require special screwdriver, none of the small ones I have fit. Any
    idea, where to look for a screwdriver that small?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

    Chicago Paddling-Fishing <jwn@ripco.com> wrote:

    > Speaker is replaceable... I have cingular and took mine to a cingular store,
    > they turned it on to make sure it said "Cingular", turned it off, popped the
    > cover off and in less than 5 minutes I had a new speaker...

    Great! The only ATT outlet I stopped by weren't so friendly, the guy
    had a bored look on his face even before I approached him and could
    only think of recommending a new phone and switching to GSM plan with
    more money and fewer minutes than I have now. But I'll keep looking, it
    is only a matter of finding a nice person in nice mood.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general (More info?)

    In article <200820041140202656%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
    > Brent P <tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Open it up, take a look at the contacts to the speaker. Odds are
    >> it's a set of spring contacts to the board...
    >
    > I can remove the front and back plates but opening further seems to
    > require special screwdriver, none of the small ones I have fit. Any
    > idea, where to look for a screwdriver that small?

    They are just torx... Forget what size nokia uses... probably T4-T7
    head sizes. Memory on this is getting kinda foggy...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
    >
    > Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

    Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
    who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    RPS wrote in news:200820041252322582%rps@null.void:

    > Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> > ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
    >>
    >> Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    >
    > Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
    > who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.

    Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?

    Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

    --
    sheila
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <Xns954B8DC7DBB3Dfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>,
    sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:

    > RPS wrote in news:200820041252322582%rps@null.void:

    > >> Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    > >
    > > Yes, I forgot to clarify that I use ATT service and they are the ones
    > > who sold me my ATT branded Nokia. But it's out of warranty.
    > >

    > Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
    >
    > Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

    his cell phone has become a hobby!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In chi.general Gregory Morrow <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

    : RPS wrote:

    :> My Nokia 6560's sound quality has become noticably worse recently. I
    :> can't trace it to any incident (like dropping the phone), but it comes
    :> out quite distorted, as if speakers or the connection is bad. Is there
    :> a place where I can at least get it looked at for not too much money?
    :> ATT stores (my carrier) only seem to have salesmen who are no help.
    :>

    : Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???

    Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no cost...

    --
    John Nelson
    Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

    Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:

    >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    >
    > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
    > cost...

    If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

    --
    sheila
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    kenji wrote in news:kenji-4108B3.14310920082004@news.ftupet.com:

    >> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
    >>
    >> Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.
    >
    > his cell phone has become a hobby!

    a job!

    I'm having so much fun at work today using torx screwdrivers and fiddling
    with a tiny speaker. I am not shitting you.

    --
    sheila
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <Xns954B9B8324AC4feafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
    > Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
    >
    >>: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    >>
    >> Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
    >> cost...
    >
    > If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

    Service center was moved to texas years ago. I don't even know if
    still exists. There was a time you could just drop off a phone at
    600N US Hwy 45 in libertyville, but that is no more.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <Xns954B8DC7DBB3Dfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:

    > Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.

    Unlikely. The speakers, while generally standard items from various
    suppliers are not always. However even if they are, they will be using
    spring contacts that are unique to the product. It is generally impossible
    to remove these contacts from speaker, place them on another and have
    any chance of the result working.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    sheila miguez herndon wrote:

    > Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
    >
    > >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    > >
    > > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
    > > cost...
    >
    > If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.

    We were at the bar tonight and watchin' the Cubs game and Motorola had a
    really neat ad - it was basically film clips with all the stuff that
    Motorola has done through the years - starting with their first car radios
    in the 30's and showing troops using their "Handie - Talkie" portable phone
    sets in WWII......

    --
    Best
    Greg

    In article <VEAVc.5697$2L3.5102@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Gregory Morrow" <gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDIT@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > sheila miguez herndon wrote:
    >

    > > Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
    > >
    > > >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    > > >
    > > > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
    > > > cost...
    > >
    > > If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.
    > >

    > We were at the bar tonight and watchin' the Cubs game and Motorola had a
    > really neat ad - it was basically film clips with all the stuff that
    > Motorola has done through the years - starting with their first car radios
    > in the 30's and showing troops using their "Handie - Talkie" portable phone
    > sets in WWII......

    They also wrecked alot lives along the way too.

    Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?

    Not that I know of.
    If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
    screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
    hardware store item.

    > Maybe you can buy little speakers somewhere like Fry's.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <210820040002085962%rps@null.void>, RPS wrote:
    > If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
    > screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
    > hardware store item.

    You can get torx drivers, even small ones at exotic places like Sears.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    RPS wrote:

    > sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
    >
    > Not that I know of.
    > If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
    > screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
    > hardware store item.

    Those cheapo "computer tool" kits have them; see any store that sells
    computer "accessories".
    or maybe radio shack?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:

    > Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.

    They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!

    Uh, yEah, a Finnish multinational company, just like Motowhatever...

    They both have offices in the US, and are both probably made in China.

    "sheila miguez herndon" <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote in news:cg5j51$i63$3@e250.ripco.com:
    >
    > >: Did you know that Nokia is a Finnish company...???
    > >
    > > Yep, with a quick flight to Finland can get probably it fixed at no
    > > cost...
    >
    > If you wanted a short drive ya shoulda bought a motorola phone.
    >
    > --
    > sheila
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:

    > In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:
    >
    >> Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
    >
    > They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!

    Naw, that got canceled. I think.

    --
    sheila
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    RPS wrote in news:210820040002085962%rps@null.void:

    > sheila miguez herndon <she@removethis.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have any geeky friends with torx screwdrivers?
    >
    > Not that I know of.
    > If I am going to be owning cell phones, I should have those
    > screwdrivers. Where do I get them? Doesn't seem like a standard
    > hardware store item.

    I wouldn't get them merely to use for having a cell phone since the
    likelihood of you needing one is small and you wouldn't get much use out
    of it. otoh, if you have a mac, they'd be useful. I think cars have torx
    screws, or maybe I'm mistaken and those are hex.

    Just borrow one from someone if ever need one. I think you probably won't
    be able to fix your cell phone so don't bother getting one only for that.

    --
    sheila
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <Xns954E648A43BB9feafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:

    > I wouldn't get them merely to use for having a cell phone since the
    > likelihood of you needing one is small and you wouldn't get much use out
    > of it. otoh, if you have a mac, they'd be useful. I think cars have torx
    > screws, or maybe I'm mistaken and those are hex.

    Only GM uses torx in any great numbers...
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <Xns954E63F7D64FAfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
    > Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:
    >
    >> In article <kenji-6B41E0.02182821082004@news.ftupet.com>, kenji wrote:
    >>
    >>> Harvard Il, is back to being a ghost town again.
    >>
    >> They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!
    >
    > Naw, that got canceled. I think.

    Does that mean moto still owns the place?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,chi.general,chi.tushar-samant (More info?)

    In article <rnoWc.56340$mD.21148@attbi_s02>, Brent P wrote:
    > In article <Xns954E63F7D64FAfeafaroth@10.0.101.90>, sheila miguez herndon wrote:
    >> Brent P wrote in news:MTcWc.71358$TI1.17598@attbi_s52:

    >>> They'll have a huge water park and lazer tag place!
    >>
    >> Naw, that got canceled. I think.
    >
    > Does that mean moto still owns the place?

    answered my own question:

    http://www.nwherald.com/CommunitySection/slupski/281214575338345.php

Nokia