photo album software

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 1, 2005 5:39:17 AM

There are quite some excellent photo album options in the open source
world,and I've already tried a lot,Inalbum is by far the most
satisfying program in my opinion,even the trial version I've download
does an excellent job,it offers quite attractive templates,and you can
customize your own photos,it's the most important feature,and then you
can add background music as you like.I showed the results to my
friends,they're quite amazed.
I just want to recommend this useful tools to all of you!
Feel free to have a try!
I'm willing to hear from you!
http://www.mediasoftzone.com/Graphics/InAlbum-Deluxe-Ed...

regards!

More about : photo album software

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:27:47 AM

colin. wrote:
> You could always write a shell script to generate your own. It's dead easy.

You could also download one of the free album software that are
currently available on the internet:

Picasa2
http://picasa.google.com/index.html
(This one is a from google, and really good. I actually like this one
the best.)

Album Shaper (A GPL program)
http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/
(This one is a true GPL, open source program that you can download from
sourceforge. You are free to re-write the code if you do not like it.)

Adobe® Photoshop® Album 2.0 Starter Edition
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_psase.h...
(This is the starter edition from Adobe. It is fairly good, but a
little more difficult to use then Picasa2).

If you are looking for a full fledged GPL photo editing program, take a
look at GIMP. It has been ported to windows.
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
However, please read the FAQ about installing it. You need to install
GTK first. I have also had problems getting GIMP to print in
Windows-XP. I have to save the jpg to the harddrive and use PICASA2 to
print the hardcopy.
I am sure it is just how I have the printer configured, or I forgot to
install something.

roland
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:23:39 PM

You could always write a shell script to generate your own. It's dead easy.
September 3, 2005 9:10:07 AM

<pepci8899@yahoo.com> wrote:
>There are quite some excellent photo album options in the open source
>world,and I've already tried a lot,Inalbum is by far the most

Hmm. Temporary yahoo email address.

How much did they pay you to spam the newsgroups?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

InAlbum is awkward for cataloging images. However, it does a rather neat job
of slide shows. For cataloging images Picasa 2 is much better. But, InAlbum
has its place too. Though it does need more templates for the slide shows.

Robert

"Ray Fischer" <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> wrote in message
news:D fbb7e$kt1$1@bolt.sonic.net...
> <pepci8899@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>There are quite some excellent photo album options in the open source
>>world,and I've already tried a lot,Inalbum is by far the most
>
> Hmm. Temporary yahoo email address.
>
> How much did they pay you to spam the newsgroups?
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfischer@sonic.net

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:39:16 AM

Robert Barnett wrote:
> InAlbum is awkward for cataloging images. However, it does a rather neat job
> of slide shows. For cataloging images Picasa 2 is much better. But, InAlbum
> has its place too. Though it does need more templates for the slide shows.
>
> Robert
>

> "Ray Fischer" <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> wrote in message
> news:D fbb7e$kt1$1@bolt.sonic.net...
> > <pepci8899@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>There are quite some excellent photo album options in the open source
> >>world,and I've already tried a lot,Inalbum is by far the most
> >
> > Hmm. Temporary yahoo email address.
> >
> > How much did they pay you to spam the newsgroups?
> >
> > --
> > Ray Fischer
> > rfischer@sonic.net

If you are using Linux, FLPHOTO does a fairly good job of cataloging
and organizing photos. However, the photo editing in FLPhoto could be
improved.
FLPHOTO was in the SuSe 9.3 professional version, but I think it is on
sourceforge.

roland
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:38:01 PM

| If you are using Linux, FLPHOTO does a fairly good job of cataloging
| and organizing photos. However, the photo editing in FLPhoto could be
| improved.
| FLPHOTO was in the SuSe 9.3 professional version, but I think it is on
| sourceforge.

Next to my own shell script, iGal is my unix album generator of choice.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:01:09 PM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:39:16 -0700, piperut wrote:

> If you are using Linux, FLPHOTO does a fairly good job of cataloging
> and organizing photos. However, the photo editing in FLPhoto could be
> improved.
> FLPHOTO was in the SuSe 9.3 professional version, but I think it is on
> sourceforge.
>
> roland
It is in Mandriva LE2005
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

On 1 Sep 2005, at 07:27:47 [GMT -0700] (00:27:47 Friday, 2 September 2005
where I live) "piperut" wrote:

> You could also download one of the free album software that are
> currently available on the internet:

Can you recommend a free place on the net to store photos (if "free" really
exists)?

I need to make available to office staff photos of a conference, password
protected if possible.

--
Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"
Anonymous

to be honest, the only flaw of Inalbum is that without a timeline yet.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:38:15 AM

what is iGal?

Is there an rpm? or is it a tarball file I have to compile?

There are a couple of other things I am trying to get working in Linux.

I can print 8x10's or 8x11.5's fine on either printer. I have a Konica
Minolta 2300DL and an Epson Stylus 1160.
When I go to print the 13x19 size prints on the 1160, the thing goes
nuts. It starts on the edge of the paper, instead of framing it up
nicely with a border all the way around it. Then it leaves too much
border on the other edge.

The other program I am trying to find for linux is something that will
create a DVD slide show, and burn it to a dvd that will play in a
reagular dvd player and show it on a TV set. I can do this in Windows
with Roxio. I just hate having to reboot my computer into windows to
do photos. I am also starting to collect music in Ogg file format, and
now I have to convert the ogg files into a wav or mp3 in order to use
them in Roxio. So I really need to find a program that works in Linux
to do this.

I am starting to get the hang of using GIMP for photo editing. FLPhoto
does an okay job of organizing, but if something else is better, I can
give that a try.

Photos, Video Editing, once in a while I run into a website that will
not work in Linux, and I am unable to get my 802 card in my laptop to
work with linux, and games. Those are the last windows tasks I have.

roland
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:00:55 PM

piperut wrote:
> what is iGal?

It's a command-line perl script, apparently.

> Is there an rpm? or is it a tarball file I have to compile?

Google is your freind:

http://www.stanford.edu/~epop/igal/

> There are a couple of other things I am trying to get working in Linux.
>
> I can print 8x10's or 8x11.5's fine on either printer. I have a Konica
> Minolta 2300DL and an Epson Stylus 1160.
> When I go to print the 13x19 size prints on the 1160, the thing goes
> nuts. It starts on the edge of the paper, instead of framing it up
> nicely with a border all the way around it. Then it leaves too much
> border on the other edge.

Here's the place to go for printer questions:

http://www.linuxprinting.org

According to the printer database there, your printer works perfectly.
Assuming that you yave the latest version of gimp-print installed,
you may have a bug to report.

> The other program I am trying to find for linux is something that will
> create a DVD slide show, and burn it to a dvd that will play in a
> reagular dvd player and show it on a TV set. I can do this in Windows
> with Roxio. I just hate having to reboot my computer into windows to
> do photos. I am also starting to collect music in Ogg file format, and
> now I have to convert the ogg files into a wav or mp3 in order to use
> them in Roxio. So I really need to find a program that works in Linux
> to do this.

If you can find out what format a DVD slide show is in, you can
probably create one under Linux. You quite likely won't find a handy
GUI program designed just for that purpose. DVD slide shows are
probably way down on the priority list of things that need work. :-)

Use a Google query like "linux audio conversion" to find all the
stuff available for converting audio formats. Again, you might not
find a GUI designed just for making audio CD's, but the command-line
tools can do what you need.

> I am starting to get the hang of using GIMP for photo editing. FLPhoto
> does an okay job of organizing, but if something else is better, I can
> give that a try.

When I looked around several years ago, I decided to write my own
image management software. I notice more activity in that space now.
Ask Google.

> Photos, Video Editing, once in a while I run into a website that will
> not work in Linux, and I am unable to get my 802 card in my laptop to
> work with linux, and games. Those are the last windows tasks I have.

Beyond Flash and Acrobat annoyances, you will sometimes find web
sites that require IE. Sometimes you can just have your browser
nmasquerade as IE and get it to work. Sometimes information on
the web is in a proprietary format. (Windows Media Format comes
to mind.) There is no excuse for a web site to require a particular
browser. When you find one, it is appropriate to complain to its
webmaster. (Don't expect a response. The fact that they designed
their site exclusively for Windows shows that they don't care about
you.)

For your 802.11 card, start here and then use Google:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Many cards work, but some cannot because their programming details
are secret. Some of these can be made to work by hijacking
the Windows driver for the card.

Good luck!

Paul Allen
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:25:04 PM

Paul Allen wrote:
> [...]
> > work with linux, and games. Those are the last windows tasks I have.
>
> Beyond Flash and Acrobat annoyances, you will sometimes find web
> sites that require IE. Sometimes you can just have your browser
> nmasquerade as IE and get it to work. Sometimes information on
> the web is in a proprietary format. (Windows Media Format comes
> to mind.) There is no excuse for a web site to require a particular
> browser. When you find one, it is appropriate to complain to its
> webmaster. (Don't expect a response. The fact that they designed
> their site exclusively for Windows shows that they don't care about
> you.)
>
> For your 802.11 card, start here and then use Google:
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
>
> Many cards work, but some cannot because their programming details
> are secret. Some of these can be made to work by hijacking

Thanks Paul,

This might help. I knew about www.linuxprinting.org. It says my
konica minolta works mostly and the Epson works perftly... and I find
it the other way around... well almost. The Konica Minolta doesn't do
the 600x600 dpi printing in linux. The other modes work. Okay, I
guess that is mostly. The Epson printing the 13x19 is not good. That
is mostly in my book. So neither works perfectly.

So I keep a windows partiton to print the 13x19 photos, create the
slide shows, for some games, and for the www.testyourvoip.com website.

That is really it. Most the time I have the thing booted in linux. If
I can get the photos working in linux I won't have to boot into windows
so often. I am also shooting more now, so that is becoming a bit
annoying.

The laptop... I have it mostly for downloading photos, so not getting
linux to run on it is not a real show stopper. It would be fun to
drive people nuts with linux on a laptop... but it is not a problem.

If I knew which pcamia 802 card to get, I could get one of them and
make the thing work. I tried a few different ones, and now have a
drawer full of cards that don't work in linux.

later
roland
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:45:55 PM

Robert Barnett wrote:
> InAlbum is awkward for cataloging images. However, it does a rather neat job
> of slide shows. For cataloging images Picasa 2 is much better. But, InAlbum
> has its place too. Though it does need more templates for the slide shows.

The thing I don't like about Picasa is that it catalogs my pics
couple of other freeware ones.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:16:55 PM

Hi Salgud,

What other freeware ones?

roland
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:38:37 PM

piperut wrote:
> Hi Salgud,
>
> What other freeware ones?
>
> roland

FotoAlbum 3 and Album Shaper 2.1. If you Google for them I imagine
you'll find them. In fact, I found them by Googling this NG.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:02:18 AM

I know about Album Shaper, but I have not heard of FotoAlbum ...

What do you think of them. I had Album Shaper loaded. It did a fair
job of organizing, but I liked Picasa2 better.
I found that if you are careful with Picasa2 when you bring in your
photos and name the imported files - you can organize them by subject.

Also Adobe has a limited edition organizer available. I think it has
some size limits or something. I haven't looked at that one, but when
you update Adobe reader the thing tries to force feed you adobe's photo
organizer.

I am trying to do more things in Linux. However, I am having a bit of
trouble working with photos in Linux. SuSe 9.3 came with something
called FLphoto, and it does a fair job of organizing photos. I sure I
can hunt around and find something better.

roland
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:48:36 PM

piperut wrote:

> This might help. I knew about www.linuxprinting.org. It says my
> konica minolta works mostly and the Epson works perftly... and I find
> it the other way around... well almost. The Konica Minolta doesn't do
> the 600x600 dpi printing in linux. The other modes work. Okay, I
> guess that is mostly. The Epson printing the 13x19 is not good. That
> is mostly in my book. So neither works perfectly.

Howw are you sending your images to the printer? If you just print
them the way you would print a document, I can imagine the default
behavior might not be what you wanted. The script I use converts
the image to Encapsulated PostScript and then wraps that in a bit
more PostScript to position the EPS object precisely on the page.

Some folks use the GIMP for printing. It's got a print dialog that
lets you specify precisely how to position the image on the page.

> So I keep a windows partiton to print the 13x19 photos, create the
> slide shows, for some games, and for the www.testyourvoip.com website.

I guess by "slide show" you mean some sort of video? There may be some
work going on in that area. As always, Google is your friend.

I'm pretty sure people are doing VOIP on Linux. What's Windows-specific
about www.testyourvoip.com? It claims to only need Java.

> That is really it. Most the time I have the thing booted in linux. If
> I can get the photos working in linux I won't have to boot into windows
> so often. I am also shooting more now, so that is becoming a bit
> annoying.
>
> The laptop... I have it mostly for downloading photos, so not getting
> linux to run on it is not a real show stopper. It would be fun to
> drive people nuts with linux on a laptop... but it is not a problem.

Yup. It's a hoot to open up a laptop running Linux at a conference
and have people gather 'round to see the wizard working magic. :-)

> If I knew which pcamia 802 card to get, I could get one of them and
> make the thing work. I tried a few different ones, and now have a
> drawer full of cards that don't work in linux.

Yup. That's what happens if you buy something off the shelf and wait
until you get home to find out if it's got Linux support. Although
you can almost always get a card to work by hijacking the Windows
driver (with some futzing), to get a card working natively you really
have to know the card's supported before you buy it. That means getting
on the Web and tracking down the compatibility list. Here's one:

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

Here's info on the Linuxant driverloader gizmo for hijacking the
Windows driver:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

Jean Tourrilhes has collected a huge amount of information here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wi...

Since this is getting to be only peripherally about photography,
perhaps further conversation should be by email or in a linux
forum?

Paul Allen
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:10:08 PM

salgud wrote:
> Ultra-Sharpen wrote:
> > I guess I don't mind that because it obays my Directory structure which
> > means less time organizing the images inside the program.
> >

> I spent more time in all 3 photo storage freeware programs last night.
> If there's a way to manage my photos in Picasa other than
> chronological, I'd love to hear about it.
>with it? I
> have to get a thousand pictures in it and then have problems!

It might have to do with the way I shoot. I tend to shoot one subject,
store it in an album, and then move on to the next subject. I am not
trying to mix items from different dates into an album into an album on
one subject.

If I wanted to mix items into an album on one subject... I don't think
any of the windows based album programs will do that. However, FLPhoto
in Linux will do that. I don't care for the way it downloads photos,
or it's photo editor.
However, it does a fairly good job of organizing photos. If you set up
the persmissions on your windows partitions correctly, it will read
from your windows partitions.

Okay, I bounce back and forth between OS a lot. If I don't have a
program in one OS, I have it in the other.

It annoys my wife that I have programs in two OS's. She doesn't think
I should have them both on one computer...

roland
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:42:22 PM

The database is stored on the hard drive for programs like ACDSee and
Extensis Portfolio. But, the store your images in that database, instead of
just dealing with the image files as they are on your hard drive. So
basically, you are wasting space on two copies of each photo. One as they
are on your hard drive (jpg, tif, etc.) and again stored in the cataloging
prograsm database file.

The problem with these database files is that they simply will not hold many
images before they start causing the program that reads them to because
unstable.

Robert
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:24:40 PM

> If I wanted to mix items into an album on one subject... I don't think
> any of the windows based album programs will do that.

Re-read my previous post! FotoAlbum does it great, and so do others.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:15:07 PM

I tend to shoot that way too. However, when I go on a day trip or something,
I tend to shoot during the whole thing and this gives me a wide range of
images. I would rather sort them by subject. People, plants, animals, etc.
For me that makes it easier to find a photo later. If I just lumped them all
together in to one album... Well, that might work. I will have to try that.

Robert

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message

> salgud wrote:
>> Ultra-Sharpen wrote:
>> > I guess I don't mind that because it obays my Directory structure which
>> > means less time organizing the images inside the program.
>> >

>> I spent more time in all 3 photo storage freeware programs last night.
>> If there's a way to manage my photos in Picasa other than
>> chronological, I'd love to hear about it.
>>with it? I
>> have to get a thousand pictures in it and then have problems!
>
> It might have to do with the way I shoot. I tend to shoot one subject,
> store it in an album, and then move on to the next subject. I am not
> trying to mix items from different dates into an album into an album on
> one subject.
>
> If I wanted to mix items into an album on one subject... I don't think
> any of the windows based album programs will do that. However, FLPhoto
> in Linux will do that. I don't care for the way it downloads photos,
> or it's photo editor.
> However, it does a fairly good job of organizing photos. If you set up
> the persmissions on your windows partitions correctly, it will read
> from your windows partitions.
>
> Okay, I bounce back and forth between OS a lot. If I don't have a
> program in one OS, I have it in the other.
>
> It annoys my wife that I have programs in two OS's. She doesn't think
> I should have them both on one computer...
>
> roland

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:15:08 PM

Ultra-Sharpen wrote:
> I tend to shoot that way too. However, when I go on a day trip or something,
> I tend to shoot during the whole thing and this gives me a wide range of
> images. I would rather sort them by subject. People, plants, animals, etc.
> For me that makes it easier to find a photo later. If I just lumped them all
> together in to one album... Well, that might work. I will have to try that.

I see the physical containment of images as separate from logical
containment. My software imports from the camera into a named "folder"
within a "shoebox". (Folders and shoeboxes are just directories on the
hard drive, but they could be BLOB's in a SQL database, or whatever.
It doesn't matter so long as the images can be found later.) Images
get categorized by applying tags to them. Then, I can use the tags
to find images to present in "galleries" for sharing with others.
Galleries have no physical presence on the disk at all, other than
as entries in the database. So essentially, at one level images are
all lumped together in a folder, but at another level they can be
lumped in any way that's convenient.

In my scheme, images don't need to be renamed and they don't usually
move around after being imported. All of the "presentation layer"
stuff (moving, naming, describing, HTML generation, etc) happens at a
logical level under control of a point-n-click interface.

Paul Allen
!