Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? CPU/GPU usage low

reggie178

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Edition Signature 2
AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz
8gb ram
500 watt PSU

Just got a new video card and I have been playing Assassin's Creed 3. I'm getting around 25-30 FPS. I feel that for my specs this is a little low, however the benchmarks for my CPU seem about right but I'm not convinced. My GPU usage is at about 60% and all four cores of my processor are at 75% while gaming. Clearly my GPU has more head room but there's still another 25% for my CPU to go. Maybe it's not going because it's too hot or am I simply drawing too much power from my PSU. I also notice that when I play World of Warcraft, my GPU usage is low however one core of the CPU is at 95%. Please help, maybe the game is just poorly optimized.

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

those 2 would not bottleneck each other i recommend overlocking the cpu and see if the gpu usage gos up if not then overclock both and turn down your settings

reggie178

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I believe it automatically does that, so yes.

reggie178

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Check yout CPU usage is it similar to mine at 75%? Use hwinfo and msi afterburner to have an OSD in your game. I just can't tell if 75% is alot or not.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Yes it's your cpu, plus that game is a console port which is badly PC optimized.

You are gonna need to overclock, something along the lines of 3.8ghz - 4ghz.

That should see you gain some fps, but even then to fully utilize your GPU you will need to jump to a 4 core intel CPU.

linglingjr

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
AC3 is terrible, don't base your systems ability off of that game it is so messed up. I'm guessing WoW is on some huge server with a ton of people as well so that's why your CPU is working so hard. Try going on an empty WoW server and seeing if anything changes.

reggie178

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Could you recommend one, I'm on a budget. I already spent a lot on the video card.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

If you are on a budget, then the best upgrade for now would be to get an aftermarket universal cpu cooler, and overclock to 4 ghz.

That should gain you fps, for a resonable price, and you can just reuse it for a future rebuild.

hyper 212 would be a good place to start.