• GPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2012 9:33:10 AM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Edition Signature 2
AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz
8gb ram
500 watt PSU

Just got a new video card and I have been playing Assassin's Creed 3. I'm getting around 25-30 FPS. I feel that for my specs this is a little low, however the benchmarks for my CPU seem about right but I'm not convinced. My GPU usage is at about 60% and all four cores of my processor are at 75% while gaming. Clearly my GPU has more head room but there's still another 25% for my CPU to go. Maybe it's not going because it's too hot or am I simply drawing too much power from my PSU. I also notice that when I play World of Warcraft, my GPU usage is low however one core of the CPU is at 95%. Please help, maybe the game is just poorly optimized.

More about : cpu bottlenecking gpu cpu gpu usage low

a b à CPUs
December 27, 2012 10:11:04 AM

have u ever update the asc3 because ubisoft release 2 pathces of the game it will update auto when u click and asc3 2mb icon
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:57:12 AM

its the cpu i think i have the same problem i have the fx 4100 and hd 7770 and i get the same fps but gpu usage is low
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 11:30:02 AM

Ramzzz2936 said:
its the cpu i think i have the same problem i have the fx 4100 and hd 7770 and i get the same fps but gpu usage is low

those 2 would not bottleneck each other i recommend overlocking the cpu and see if the gpu usage gos up if not then overclock both and turn down your settings
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:00:26 PM

monu_08 said:
have u ever update the asc3 because ubisoft release 2 pathces of the game it will update auto when u click and asc3 2mb icon

I believe it automatically does that, so yes.
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:30:26 PM

Ramzzz2936 said:

Check yout CPU usage is it similar to mine at 75%? Use hwinfo and msi afterburner to have an OSD in your game. I just can't tell if 75% is alot or not.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 7:32:23 PM

reggie178 said:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Edition Signature 2
AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz
8gb ram
500 watt PSU

Just got a new video card and I have been playing Assassin's Creed 3. I'm getting around 25-30 FPS. I feel that for my specs this is a little low, however the benchmarks for my CPU seem about right but I'm not convinced. My GPU usage is at about 60% and all four cores of my processor are at 75% while gaming. Clearly my GPU has more head room but there's still another 25% for my CPU to go. Maybe it's not going because it's too hot or am I simply drawing too much power from my PSU. I also notice that when I play World of Warcraft, my GPU usage is low however one core of the CPU is at 95%. Please help, maybe the game is just poorly optimized.

Yes it's your cpu, plus that game is a console port which is badly PC optimized.

You are gonna need to overclock, something along the lines of 3.8ghz - 4ghz.

That should see you gain some fps, but even then to fully utilize your GPU you will need to jump to a 4 core intel CPU.

m
l
December 27, 2012 7:35:28 PM

AC3 is terrible, don't base your systems ability off of that game it is so messed up. I'm guessing WoW is on some huge server with a ton of people as well so that's why your CPU is working so hard. Try going on an empty WoW server and seeing if anything changes.
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:39:28 PM

I did, 20 FPS boost!
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:40:45 PM

maxalge said:
Yes it's your cpu, plus that game is a console port which is badly PC optimized.

You are gonna need to overclock, something along the lines of 3.8ghz - 4ghz.

That should see you gain some fps, but even then to fully utilize your GPU you will need to jump to a 4 core intel CPU.

Could you recommend one, I'm on a budget. I already spent a lot on the video card.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 27, 2012 7:46:56 PM

reggie178 said:
Could you recommend one, I'm on a budget. I already spent a lot on the video card.

If you are on a budget, then the best upgrade for now would be to get an aftermarket universal cpu cooler, and overclock to 4 ghz.

That should gain you fps, for a resonable price, and you can just reuse it for a future rebuild.

hyper 212 would be a good place to start.
m
l