Sign in with
Your question

New build in US

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2012 10:29:36 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this month or next month

Budget Range: $1500 ($2100 if computer still works)going to sell my old build to my brother if it still works if it doesnt work then it will be around $1800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Botting, 3D games

Are you buying a monitor: Yes(going to sell my 32" 1080p 60Hz)

Parts to Upgrade: Not going to reuse anything from my old build might not even need a DVD drive since i will try to do Win7/Win8 by USB

Do you need to buy OS:No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Ncix, amazon, fry's, microcenter

Parts Preferences: everything has to be either top of the line or at least close, would like to not have another black case

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: upgrading to ASUS 27" 3D monitor if there is anything better then please tell

Additional Comments: i want something that looks nice on the outside(very nice) and maybe a clear side panel to look at my computer/specs

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My computer broke so i thought i might as well upgrade everything and give the parts that do work to my little brother

Old computer specs:
i5 first gen
intel mobo
16GB ram 1333(for some reason i couldn't get all 4 DIMMs to run so it only says 8GB in Dxdiag) - works
HIS 6950 unlocked to 6970 - works
PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series - Works (will not give to brother but will need a bit cheaper sound card in the range of $100 for my little brother)
Sennheiser pc350 - works(already gave to my brother since i know how bad the bass, i am giving my brother a sound card to amp it up a bit)
Sennheiser pc360 - works(using this currently)

i have a mouse a keyboard but i am also giving that to my brother so i will be needing a Mouse, Keyboard, and MousePad

New computer thoughts:
for sure i am going to get the deal at microcenter that i saw a lot of my friends get
i5 3570k + mobo
670(going to buy a 2nd one if i have enough so i can use 3D to the Max)
500R( was going to buy this case but it doesnt have a clear side panel)
(NOTE: case does not have to have all the fans will be buying a few fans instead of using stock)
Keyboard(need to get a good one hopefully have enough for a Mechanical Board)
Mouse (does not need all of those fancy buttons on the sides but a few will be fine with me, also needs high DPI)
PSU: getting some kind of Modular PSU about 750-800W
RAM: getting 2133 8GB if i have enough
HDD: i have a back up 1TB in my old computer that im going to use
SSD: Hoping i can get a deal on Samsung 830, or wait for a newer and better one to come out(256GB)

More about : build

August 11, 2012 10:59:55 PM

I'd recommend dual Radeon 7950s over dual GTX 670/680 cards for very high end graphics solutions. Their wider memory bus allows them to better deal with heavier and heavier loads than the GTX 600 cards can. I'm not highly experienced with many high-end keyboards and mice, so any recommendation for them from me would kinda be grasping at straws.

A good PSU for you could be something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
750w, fully modular, and a great brand too. It's also 80+ Gold power efficient rated.

I wouldn't recommend getting such high frequency RAM unles you do work that relies on high memory bandwidth. Gaming is notorious for taking next to no benefit at all from high-performance memory, so if this is a strictly gaming build, I wouldn't recommend going past 1600MHz or 1866MHz. Besides, many 1866MHz kits are easily overclocked to 2133MHz anyway.

The Samsung 830 is a great SSD line and I can recommend it highly.

For a hard drive intended for back-ups, I'd recommend a Western Digital Caviar Blue.
August 12, 2012 8:10:41 PM

blazorthon said:
I'd recommend dual Radeon 7950s over dual GTX 670/680 cards for very high end graphics solutions. Their wider memory bus allows them to better deal with heavier and heavier loads than the GTX 600 cards can.

Then why did the GTX 680 when it was released run at 5760x1200 at better fps than the 7970?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/22/nvidia_kepler...

There is more to running at a certain resolution than bus width. It was proven with the GTX 680 2GB vs the 7970 3GB.

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=39358 BF3
http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=39338 BC2
http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=39347 Metro 2033

In all these games, even the SLI GTX 670 outperformed the CF 7970.
Related resources
August 12, 2012 10:20:34 PM

what i need to know is how much fps will i get if i play something like Batman in 3D or of the sort with a single 670 and with 2x670s

still needing a new build and microcenter near me has closed down so the sales are a no can do
August 12, 2012 10:22:39 PM

2 670s will push it to 120fps for sure.
August 13, 2012 4:09:36 AM

That was like four or five driver releases ago. The 7970 has pulled ahead slightly in most games at 2560x1600 and is more future-proofed for greater graphically limited games due to it not being nearly as memory bandwidth bottle-necked as the GTX 670 and GTX 680 are. Also, the Metro 2033 link (a game known for being exceptionally memory-bandwidth limited) clearly shows 7970 CF beating 680 SLI quite significantly and even 7950 triple CF beating 680 triple SLI. I'd also like to point out that two of the games tested in the 5760x1200 link were games that are well-known for having a strong Nvidia preference and the only game that wasn't known for that, the 7970 won in despite the old drivers.
August 13, 2012 4:25:25 AM

Idk what link you read, but the GTX 680 was the GPU that beat the 7970, not the other way around.
August 13, 2012 4:53:36 AM

My bad. I thought you were referring to my link. Misunderstanding.
August 13, 2012 4:53:47 AM

I didn't say that the 7970 won in BF3. I simply didn't say that it had a strong Nvidia preference. It has a light Nvidia preference, but not a huge one. I clearly said that it is the Metro 2033 game that shows the 7970 winning, yet you tell me that I'm wrong by linking the BF3 FPS numbers. Furthermore, the 7970 and the 680 are not GPUs. These are video cards.

A GPU is the chip that does the processing, among other work, on a graphics card. The Tahiti and the GK104 are the GPUs. Beyond that, the GK104 is a much faster GPU for gaming. However, its memory bandwidth holds it back to the point where its performance advantage over the Tahiti was almost nullified with the old drivers and is completely nullified with current drivers. Had Nvidia used a 384 bit or even a 320 bit GDDR5 interface and kept the same memory frequency, we'd see the 680 soar above the 7970 even with current drivers because its GK104 is a faster GPU (than the 7970's Tahiti) that is held back by insufficient memory bandwidth.
!