Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212 Evo with 2500k temps

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2012 10:42:35 AM

So I just got the Hyper 212 Evo and installed it onto a non overclocked 2500k. I used Cooler Master HTK 002 thermal compound with it. The room I am in is around 25 degrees celsius and I am averaging around 28 to 35 at idle and around 55 to 60 at full load. Are these temperatures around average or are they higher than normal?
December 27, 2012 12:27:27 PM

those are good temps; those cpus run warm.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 2:30:59 PM

80% of compounds are made by 3m I quit paying big bucks for them years ago, CM compound is just fine and your temps are fine, you can spend the money but I doubt you'll see much difference if any, On some bench marks I read they used things like pink lipstick and toothpaste and it did better than some of those expensive compounds , Oh but don't use chocolate it never fared to well
m
l
December 27, 2012 2:37:07 PM

That's actually pretty low. I get 38-40 idle on my stock Hyper 212+ with a push-pull. Fans are on minimum speed though.
m
l
December 27, 2012 2:39:12 PM

I get around 35C idle and 55C load, with ivy bridge. Those temps are absolutely fine.
m
l
December 27, 2012 2:44:49 PM

Man, I've forgotten what temps that low even looked like. My 3770k with a 212+ hits like 96C under full load. Gotta clock it back from the usual 4.8 GHz when I do anything intensive because it just can't handle the heat. Works great for every day tasks like web browsing and gaming, though.
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2012 2:47:22 PM

your temps are right about on target, perhaps a little warm... but then again if your room temp is 25*c then that is to be expected! At my home we are typically at ~20*c, so my idle is ~25*c (5* delta), and 4.2GHz load temp is ~65*c (45* delta). You have a 5* idle delta, and a 35* load delta, so you have plenty of room to OC with.

If you want a little better cooling performance, the fans are easy to replace. On mine I have 2 corsair quiet 120mm fans as a push-pull, and that helped a bit, but I did it more for the noise aspect than cooling. Better thermal paste will bring the temp down 2-5*c under load, but I would not bother with it unless you really are in need of dropping temps, and you are fine where you are at.

So long as your delta temp (CPU temp - room temp) is not too far off from other people, and your max CPU temp is staying under 90*c then everything is working the way it ought to. It is perfectly fine for it to get a bit warm from time to time. Just keep in mind that old Pentium 3 and 4 CPUs would hit 120*c and it was considered 'normal' at the time, so with 60*c you are actually running quite cool in the grand scheme of things.
December 27, 2012 3:02:21 PM

CaedenV said:
If you want a little better cooling performance, the fans are easy to replace. On mine I have 2 corsair quiet 120mm fans as a push-pull, and that helped a bit, but I did it more for the noise aspect than cooling.

Using a pair of Cougars on mine. As far as I'm aware, push/pull can improve temps by a couple degrees, but like you said, it's more for the noise to push the same air at lower RPMs.

Quote:
Better thermal paste will bring the temp down 2-5*c under load, but I would not bother with it unless you really are in need of dropping temps, and you are fine where you are at.

There really isn't any performance to be had here. There's only a 5c difference between the best and worst compounds. Any good paste will be within a degree of the best.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound...

Quote:
Just keep in mind that old Pentium 3 and 4 CPUs would hit 120*c and it was considered 'normal' at the time, so with 60*c you are actually running quite cool in the grand scheme of things.

The "safe limit" I'm using for SB chips is 80c, and 90c for IVB. Anything below that I consider safe for 24/7 operation (unless you tend to max your CPU out a lot, then my max temps need to come down 5-10 degrees).
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:37:44 PM

Best answer selected by bathroomsecurity.
m
l
!