Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Its all gone tits up.

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 12:39:06 AM

Hey.

So today I got my new CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM. With a nice big cooler...
Specs:
XFX 7870 2GB
ASUS P8P67 Pro 3.1 Rev
i5 3570k 3.4GHz
8GB Corsair 1600Mhz
850w Corsair
120GB SSD
400 GB + 170 GB HDD

So I put it all together fine with no hiccups or anything.
I started it up with my old hard drives in and new SSD and when I entered the BIOS told it to boot from the old HDD as it had windows 7 64bit on there and I thought it would then load up. I then restarted and the problems begin...
Since then I haven't been able to access my BIOS as my monitor keeps flickering on and off. All the pixels are blue around the 'Starting Windows' logo when I mange to get it to load after i've inserted my Windows 7 CD.
Sometimes when I boot I can't get a picture up on the monitor at all. Other times when I boot with the CD it gets to the point where the CD will come up and there are red and white lines all over the screen that flash on and off. On the motherboard sometimes the red LED is for boot device.
I then tried everything in my old system and had the same problem with all the blue pixels and can't access my BIOS there either. Put my windows CD in and wouldn't load up. I also had the message below when I tried a windows XP CD to see if that would load up:
*'Reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device'
I've tried resetting my CMOS on both boards and still nothing. Monitor works fine as well.
That makes me think that it can't be to do with my graphics card, cpu and motherboard as i'm having the problem with both set ups. So my PSU and HDD are the only two things I can think it could be. But PSU worked fine yesterday evening and is fairly new.
Please if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do would be really appreciated as i'm all out of ideas.
Thanks a lot!
A

More about : tits

August 12, 2012 12:48:11 AM

did you get the latest bios for the board. p67s are not compatable with a ivy bridge chip unless you flash the board. (should have gotten z77 in the first place)

unplug the hard drive and install windows on the SSD. when you get into windows, activate the old hard drive
August 12, 2012 9:25:44 AM

TheBigTroll said:
did you get the latest bios for the board. p67s are not compatable with a ivy bridge chip unless you flash the board. (should have gotten z77 in the first place)

unplug the hard drive and install windows on the SSD. when you get into windows, activate the old hard drive

Hey man, thanks for the reply. Haven't been about to update the BIOS as I can't get into there. But i may try updating it using a USB stick with the latest version on there.
But I have tried just connecting the SSD and trying to install windows but got the red and white lines again or nothing loading on screen.
Related resources
August 12, 2012 12:17:13 PM

does the board have usb bios flashback? its the easiest way to flash a bios
August 12, 2012 12:33:54 PM

TheBigTroll said:
does the board have usb bios flashback? its the easiest way to flash a bios

Yeah I think so but not quite sure how I would go about that. I put the latest BIOS on my USB and managed to load up my BIOS to then change my boot sequence. I then finally managed to get windows to begin installing. But then it went black after it restarted its self. Now when i load up windows it goes to starting windows and now freezes. I'll look into flashing bios now.
August 12, 2012 12:37:34 PM

clear the bios and then flash bios. but if you somehow got ivy bridge to run on a p67 board, the bios shouldnt be too much of a problem
August 12, 2012 12:48:37 PM

TheBigTroll said:
clear the bios and then flash bios. but if you somehow got ivy bridge to run on a p67 board, the bios shouldnt be too much of a problem

Cool i'll try that now. If it isn't the BIOS then what do you think it could be from what i've described?
August 12, 2012 12:54:42 PM

you could try using intergrated graphics instead of the card. it could be the card
August 12, 2012 1:17:42 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you could try using intergrated graphics instead of the card. it could be the card

I've tried my old graphics card though and continued to have the same problem....
August 12, 2012 3:15:37 PM

try using one stick of memory at a time to test if it is a memory problem
August 12, 2012 4:06:22 PM

TheBigTroll said:
try using one stick of memory at a time to test if it is a memory problem

Yeah did that. Nothing changed though so i'm pretty sure its not the RAM.
August 12, 2012 5:02:58 PM

it could be the board then.
August 12, 2012 5:05:20 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it could be the board then.

Yeah thats my thinking. Any ways to do a good test you think? Doesn't make a beep when i take out all the RAM which i think is a little odd
August 12, 2012 5:52:05 PM

you can try to boot without the ram. it should make a beep
August 12, 2012 11:26:10 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you can try to boot without the ram. it should make a beep

Yeah i tried doing that and nothing. Tried without graphics card to and nothing.
August 12, 2012 11:46:13 PM

its probably the board then
!